The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Pre-Season Jets @ Canucks Sunday, Oct. 3/21 - 4:00 PM Rogers Arena

Rate this topic

-DLC-

2 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

What is the saying in sports? Playing big minutes and you learn. Just practice is not going to help Rathbone improve. He needs games and lots of them

AHL with him.

Yeah it's rather see him down in Abby posting big minutes and playing in more situations. OJ had a tough start to training camp but I think he has looked pretty solid so far in preseason. He seems like a better fit currently. Rathbone can play big minutes on the farm, while OJ can play the PK in the bigs. 

I'm bias though because I always cheer for the underdog, so I'm really routing for Olli.

35 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I was!   Had SO much fun.....loved Bo, Tanner, Nils.  Hoglander looks like he's a vet...honestly, the guy is fearless and is tenacious on the puck.  He was a real standout for me.

I was a little emotional being back in the rink.  Seeing friends I hadn't seen for awhile....it was a big deal for me.

And it was great....all up until I realized the hook my keys were on had broken and I had no....car key, house keys, work keys, keys to Dad's, etc.  The one time I parked my car on the street instead of my son's underground parking too so that was a big of a worry.

Missed the end of the third backtracking and trying to find them, but no luck.  Customer service was fantastic...they tried hard and I really appreciated their kindness.

Good ol' BCAA bailed me out.  

Really happy you went Deb

Of all us Canuck fans, I know you would cheer the loudest!

Sorry about the keys!

15 hours ago, Alflives said:

5 on 5 I’d love to see Gads play with Petey and Bess.  But for now (no Petey and Bess) how about Gads, Bo, Garland?  

It would be very interesting to see how they play together.  Petey's shot becomes way more dangerous with a guy like Gadj consistently in front of the net.  

16 hours ago, Alflives said:

5 on 5 I’d love to see Gads play with Petey and Bess.  But for now (no Petey and Bess) how about Gads, Bo, Garland?  

They can try it in preseason but we have many top 6 capable wingers too like Garland, Miller, Hoglander, Podkolzin, Pearson etc. So am not sure they will give him the spot unless the one shift or one game he plays with Petersson is amazing. 

I think with Boeser missing time, Garland is going to start with Miller on the top line and he might be hard to knock off there. His speed and passing could be what they need to set up Petey more, rather than another shooter in Brock, and we may see Boeser fall to the 2nd line where Hoglander and Bo can set him up more...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Elias_Pettersson said:

I want to see 

Miller-Pettersson-Garland

Hoglander-Horvat-Boeser

Pearson-Dickinson-Podkolzin

Gadjovich-Highmore-Lockwood 

OEL-Poolman

Hughes-Schenn/Hamonic

Juolevi-Myers

Hunt

Rathbone could use a little bit of time in the A to work on his d. Juolevi would be such a good d-man if he was even just an average nhl skater. He might have the worst pivot in the league. I think he makes the team for his pk abilities. 

Garland reminds me of Marchand without the cheap shots,etc. He makes things happen on the ice and has some very good hands. He’ll be a beast in the playoffs I can already tell. 

That 4th line would be fun to watch. 

Winner winner chicken dinner!!!!

Exactly what I wanna see for all four lines.  That 4th line would be fun to watch!  

2 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

I think there's room for both. They can learn the job on the go playing with veterans on the bottom 4 D.  I imagine Rathbone and OJ could learn a lot playing with Hamonic and back to back Stanley cup winner Schenn.  The top 4 will always be OEL Poolman Hughes and Myers.  they'll both get around 18 mins each (38-40 mins combined).  That will give our bottom pairing around 20-22 mins (10-12 mins each) to learn their trade. 

This is only my opinion but if Rathbone is the 7th D-man. He will become a fringe NHL'er. I think you are biased and have already decided what you want to happen. 

2 hours ago, shayster007 said:

Yeah it's rather see him down in Abby posting big minutes and playing in more situations. OJ had a tough start to training camp but I think he has looked pretty solid so far in preseason. He seems like a better fit currently. Rathbone can play big minutes on the farm, while OJ can play the PK in the bigs. 

I'm bias though because I always cheer for the underdog, so I'm really routing for Olli.

Too many kids want the next shinny toy. It's Jack Rathbone,  not Brian Leetch, and the position is defence, not run around and do whatever you want. Send him to Abby, where he belongs like a normal prospect who is almost ready to contribute. Learning how to play d as the guy will be far better than watching all year in the pressbox.

• Vintage 2

5 hours ago, Angry Goose said:

OEL can put on a clinic on the PP. I don't know how you get much more accurate, efficient and quicker than that.  You could tell Miller was feeding off of it. Horvat seemed more involved up higher as well. Justperfect passes. Fun to see.

3rd line LW is hard to peg down. 

Yes.    Going to be a tough decision on the coaching staff deciding who to slot in on the first unit.   QHs and OEL on the right side?    Or split them up and make a legit second unit.... nice.   

• Vintage 1

Did anyone notice? When the team just tried to gain the zone, it worked just fine. Sometimes Winnipeg clogged up the boards but we got possession and into the zone. 

But when we did the drop pass especially on the 4 minute power play it was completely ineffective.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Did anyone notice? When the team just tried to gain the zone, it worked just fine. Sometimes Winnipeg clogged up the boards but we got possession and into the zone. 

But when we did the drop pass especially on the 4 minute power play it was completely ineffective.

That drop pass hasn’t worked since the finals against Boston… edlers gone but his ghost remains…

• Haha 1

I only watched the third. What I saw of Burroughs and Bowey was pretty good. Good enough to knock OJ or Hunt down to Abby, I don't think so. If they keep 8 d, I see Hunt, and Schenn taking that spot. Green likes his vets around, and until Hamonic gets here, it seems to be theirs for the taking.

Edited by johngould21

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Yes.    Going to be a tough decision on the coaching staff deciding who to slot in on the first unit.   QHs and OEL on the right side?    Or split them up and make a legit second unit.... nice.   

I'd go with legit 2nd PP unit. 

Cuz the 1st PP unit may be gassed as they (most of them) were the ones who dangled and drew a penalty from the other team.

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

In one of his pressers Green reminded that the PP was successful when their 2nd unit also contributed.  Last season he commented that the 1st unit was at times staying on the ice for too long.  With more offensive options this season, they might be trying for 2 fairly balanced units.  

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

I agree with Green about OEL, his intensity is noticeable.  It's like he wants to make a statement this year.  

OEL's intensity is what's missing in OJ's game.

8 hours ago, Elias_Pettersson said:

I want to see 

Hoglander-Horvat-Boeser

OEL-Poolman

Hughes-Schenn/Hamonic

Juolevi-Myers

Hunt

Rathbone could use a little bit of time in the A to work on his d. Juolevi would be such a good d-man if he was even just an average nhl skater. He might have the worst pivot in the league. I think he makes the team for his pk abilities. 

Garland reminds me of Marchand without the cheap shots,etc. He makes things happen on the ice and has some very good hands. He’ll be a beast in the playoffs I can already tell. 

That 4th line would be fun to watch. 

+1 for that 4th line.

Also, seems like Green isn't terribly pleased with Pods so far. He could hit the AHL to start the season, which wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. I feel like he needs to release his true game out on the ice. Hed way too timid so far. Maybe he's still scared to make a mistake and get benched for full periods Iike in the K. Hopefully he just needs to get his legs going. 

8 hours ago, Elias_Pettersson said:

Hoglander-Horvat-Boeser

OEL-Poolman

Hughes-Schenn/Hamonic

Juolevi-Myers

I like the defense, I don't know that Podz has done enough to win an NHL job though. He is skating well and looks talented but seems half a step behind sometimes. I think a few AHL games may be a benefit to start, either that or a few more pre-season games and he will be ready.

I have not been overly impressed with Highmore but he may get the third line centre by default at his point. If it comes down to Highmore or Petan it is a tough one but last night Petan played the best he has so far so I give him the edge.