The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Have 3 Players in SN's Top 25 Under 15.

Rate this topic

allegend

2 hours ago, khay said:

Canucks have the most with 3.

Leafs, Sens, Habs, Canes, and Avs each have 2.

Little surprising that EP is #3 behind McDavid and Matthews.

I would have thought Fox (Norris winner) and Makar (Calder winner and Norris runner-up) could have been placed higher than EP.

There usually is a bit of a bias towards forward with these rankings.

Anyhow, good to see this sort of ranking from non-Canuck media. 

Wait, Fox won the Norris this past year? Wow. The isolation of hockey info being predominately in the north was reallll

2 hours ago, nowhereman said:

Seriously?

Kucherov

Panarin

Pastrnak

Marchand

Kane

Stone

Rantanen

Ovechkin

Huberdeau

I would take every one of them over Marner, especially in the playoffs. He is not a player you win with, unless he's the 3rd or 4th best player on your team (ala Kessel).

That's great, don't see how its relevant to the topic.

1 hour ago, cdgraham said:

Not to disagree but.. Patrick Kane? 

I know he's a baby face but he must be older than 25.

Just now, Caboose said:

I know he's a baby face but he must be older than 25.

Lol okay I see we are the ones who are lost. I do also struggle a bit more to think of someone 25 or under who us better as a winger. I guess rantenen? Not much for sure 

11 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:
10 hours ago, nowhereman said:

It's HFCanucks, man. Basically, anything bad that has happened to the Canucks is a direct result of Jim Benning's incompetence and any positives that have occurred were a result of someone else in the organization saving him from himself. It doesn't matter who you credit, so long as it's not Benning. Funny enough, they'll lose their collective minds when you accuse them of being too extreme and lacking any sort of nuance. They'll then proceed to call you a "Benning Bro" who is schilling for FA and the Canucks organization.

It's quite a treat, that place.

Well said.  The trolls have literally taken over that site.  

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

I love Boeser. But a bit surprising to see him ahead of Svechnikov, Connor, and Kaprisov.

Still...good to see him getting some overdue props, instead of being thrown in proposals here for friggin Jake Debrusk. :sick:

He has quite a bit more pts per game at this point than Svechnikov, a tiny bit more than Connor, and Kaprisov waited until he was 23 to come to the league.  I think it is reasonable, but I was a little suprised with the eastern media bias that they put him that high.

14 hours ago, allegend said:

Pettersson, Hughes, and Boeser were all listed in the Sporting News Top 25

Players Under 25. Pettersson was actually listed as #3, behind only McDavid

and Matthews.

To put a finer point on it, we have 3 players in the top 17.  Pretty cool.

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

He has quite a bit more pts per game at this point than Svechnikov, a tiny bit more than Connor, and Kaprisov waited until he was 23 to come to the league.  I think it is reasonable, but I was a little suprised with the eastern media bias that they put him that high.

I sometimes bring this up as in how ass backwards things are living near Ottawa, and the perception of living for 35 years in BC about the media.   The majority of the negativity you will hear, regarding the Canucks is local.   As in BC media.   Especially lower mainland media.    Eastern media that i'm exposed to, has been giving Jim Benning props since he traded Burrows and Hansen ... it has been amping up since Brock Boeser rookie year, more so EPs rookie explosion, and the bubble love for all things Canucks and Travis Green has kept things going strong out here despite a bad season in the North.    THN headquarters are you know where - Toronto.   I'm sure most of their writers love it when Mathews is on the cover too because most of them live in the area.  

That said, for the most part it's all roses and props the last four years or so.   Jim Benning hasn't been roasted since the re-tool days by them at least.   Last season, before it started, they had four of our players in the top 50 best in the league.   Including EP at number 8.   Horvat made the list for the first time right around Mathew Tkapuke.   Four.   

This season of course they all slipped except for Brock Boeser, but it's understandable.   But that shows a ton of respect for Elias Petterson.   8.   Ahead of a murderer's row of hockey greats.   

I get it too having lived there for the first 35 years of my life.   TSN - Toronto Sports Network lol.   And living here the last decade plus it gets pretty old listening to how TO should have won a cup before AM got his first legacy deal, and if maybe he should grow a beard to go with that child molester lip thingy or whatever you want to call it.  

It took me awhile to get it too.   But really the Eastern media is a lot fairer and more realistic about the Canucks then our own media sources back home.   Radio and blog warriors etc are just terrible for the most part trying to make a story out of nothing.   And  it's actually refreshing to have an unbiased take.   Because they really could give two sh!ts about us, when they make a compliment - which for JB and TG has been rather continuous (TG would get a new job in a heartbeat - despite some on the CDC that think he's crap) it seems pretty genuine.   And they are really  impressed with our new kids on the block.    Canada needs rivalries so sure it's ok to feel that way about the "Eastern Bias".    But at the same time it's a bit off target.   The bias is mostly local, and it's horribly negative at times. 

Edit:  As an aside - pretty much every media source i've followed out here, has Podz as a sure thing.  A front runner for the Calder even.   Wow.   Hogs last year got quite a lot of praise too.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

To put a finer point on it, we have 3 players in the top 17.  Pretty cool.

Yes it sure is.   Usually when you've got the best group of 21 and unders, your team ends up becoming a thing.   We were in the top 3, three years in a row.   As long as Podz works out and a couple more come out of the woodwork, we should do just fine. 

16 hours ago, Caboose said:

I was quoting you, bud, lol. You know, after you said that you can't think of a better winger in the league than Marner? If you meant under 25, then say under 25. 

Edited by nowhereman

22 minutes ago, nowhereman said:

I was quoting you, bud, lol. You know, after you said that you can't think of a better winger in the league than Marner? If you meant under 25, then say under 25. 

It was the topic of that conversation and is the topic of this entire thread. It does not need to be repeated in each and every post.

22 hours ago, nowhereman said:

It's HFCanucks, man. Basically, anything bad that has happened to the Canucks is a direct result of Jim Benning's incompetence and any positives that have occurred were a result of someone else in the organization saving him from himself. It doesn't matter who you credit, so long as it's not Benning. Funny enough, they'll lose their collective minds when you accuse them of being too extreme and lacking any sort of nuance. They'll then proceed to call you a "Benning Bro" who is schilling for FA and the Canucks organization.

It's quite a treat, that place.

Hf nucks is truly a cess pool. In the last 5 years I've been banned 4 times and numerous like privileges taken away.

The irony of it all is every single time was from a nuck mod. Our own supposed fans quite literally are more toxic towards the nucks than the other fan bases. Like how Fn pathetic is that? Lol.

• Upvote 1

On 10/5/2021 at 10:55 AM, shayster007 said:

The warm smell of colitas often distracts me as well.

I actually didn't know what colitas was until just now when I looked it up to confirm I had the proper spelling... I had always just assumed it was a food of sorts.

Colitas (little tails) is Mexican slang for marijuana buds.  In North America, long top sections of the plant with lots of buds are typically called "colas" while on the plant.

On 10/5/2021 at 10:24 AM, Phat Fingers said:

It’s only due too who?   I get bracket, but JB scouted Brock, Delorme redeemed himself with Petey, and the Wings scouted Hughes… lol.  So what did Markstrom do again to scout and select these guys… at least give Tanev credit for Hughes…

Good post Phat Fingers........it’s almost as the guys at HF Canucks talk absolute rubbish eh?  ;-)