The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Sharks claim Jonah Gadjovich off waivers

6 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Don't forget Kole Lind ... after he was selected by Seattle people here were saying that "we had Gadjovich anyways, and he's the more promising player" :huh:

Yeah Toffoli one was laughable, like who is going to say no to a PPG player a 4.25 Million for 4 years :lol:

My 2 cents on Gadjovich being claimed though is that things stings. My personal view is that since Gadjovich hasn't really shown much at this point in his career it's unlikely he's going to be more than a NHL tweener. That said this still kind of sucks losing both Gadjovich and Lind, not because neither panned out but but The Canucks hasn't really had a lot of draft picks during Bennings tenure that our hope for late round steals relied mostly on these two 2nd round 2017 picks. 

Canucks already lost out on Gaudette and traded away Forsling (who has turned out to be a NHL dman) now Lind and Gadjovich are also out of the club. Hoglander is nice but the team needs more Hoglander type home runs to have a sustainable team.

Only been 1 year as a full time NHL player now with Florida at 24 years old.  Spent 3 years bouncing back and forth for Chicago and even 19/20 was AHL only with Charlotte.  Maybe he finally found a home that works in Florida but not like he's been ripping it up in the NHL as a full timer for years now.

• Cheers 4

7 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Two things can simultaneously be true:

1. Losing Gadjovich is not a make or break moment.

and

2. Losing him for no discernible reason is an unforced mistake considering no one still here fighting for that spot really outplayed him in the limited chance he got.

They could have given him until the end of camp before trying to slide him through. The fact that all the other players waived that day got through and multiple teams placed a claim on Gadjovich is proof enough it was a mistake from a timing perspective.

The team needs to do better to develop their own players from within.  I feel like we have a team full of other teams players right now.   Constant theme from Cup winning rosters... core and key depth guys for most part were developed from within and bled their colours.   Lind and Gadj could have both been key contributers.

Edited by EddieVedder
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

As rough as this is, it's also a good sign.  It means that we have enough depth that other teams want our players.  It's bound to happen more and more as the team improves and we have the ability to attract more free agents.

Agreed!! As much as I hate losing Gadj for nothing, we gotta appreciate the fact that we aren't forced into playing rookies due to lack of depth...  Some fans seem to overlook the fact that Green values experience and versatility more this season - we gotta make the playoffs!!!  All these guys like Petan, Chiasson, Dowling and Di Giuseppe are more reliable NHLers whether you like it or not.. So that's why Gadj got sacrificed. 

Edited by RakuRaku

49 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

Agreed!! As much as I hate losing Gadj for nothing, we gotta appreciate the fact that we aren't forced into playing rookies due to lack of depth...  Some fans seem to overlook the fact that Green values experience and versatility more this season - we gotta make the playoffs!!!  All these guys like Petan, Chiasson, Dowling and Di Giuseppe are more reliable NHLers whether you like it or not.. So that's why Gadj got sacrificed. 

None of those guys are actual NHLers.

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, EddieVedder said:

The team needs to do better to develop their own players from within.  I feel like we have a team full of other teams players right now.   Constant theme from Cup winning rosters... core and key depth guys for most part were developed from within and bled their colours.   Lind and Gadj could have both been key contributers.

To be fair, the players most likely to have an NHL career have stepped right onto the big team.  Those players have been from NCAA/Europe, and that's where they wanted to stay and develop, hard to chastize anyone for that.

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I find myself wondering even had we kept Forsling, if fans would be ripping him like they dump all over OJ?

I doubt it, Forsling was a 5th round pick and a fantastic result for that high a pick. OJ's got the burden of being a fifth overall and the expectations that come with that.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I find myself wondering even had we kept Forsling, if fans would be ripping him like they dump all over OJ?

Draft position, for obvious reasons, is a big factor in the expectations that come with every player. 

Forsling has done well for where he was drafted. OJ hasn’t (at least not yet). 

Edited by guntrix

8 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

I thought you were going to bed... Sorry to rile you up

I honestly don't understand the ppl that feel the need to bash his game to feel better about waiving him. 

It absolutely was an unforced error. 

If JB and TG had a crystal ball and knew he would get claimed, I would guarantee that Gadj would have played at least 1 if not both games that he sat prior to getting waived just so they can have a more informed decision as to whether they want to give up on him or not. 

To me, I feel like they were trying to be too smart and got caught and it was unnecessary because most of us that follow this team knew there was a high probability he would get claimed

Even TG said he had a good camp and were expecting to have him play with the team this year. 

Do you really think he feels the same about all the other guys that are still here like Dries? 

Oh that's alright, I didn't think I was constantly belittling people so I'll be more thoughtful when I respond. Hopefully my lack of intelligence isn't that annoying for you.

In regards to the above I simply don't believe this to be true. It's far to early to know if it's a mistake with the certainty you proclaim. Green stated clearly they knew there was a chance he would be claimed ... and he was. He's a decent prospect. I'm pretty sure they had enough info to make an informed decision and the only thing that another game would give is a chance for him to have the "pro" game of his life. This is true for any player though and shouldn't be the reasoning for keeping him in camp.

They made the decision for reasons we don't fully know but hopefully most people can admit it wasn't done hastily. By that I mean I'm sure they considered all the arguments posters are making such as age, size, AHL goal scoring, etc., and went ahead anyway with full acceptance that we may be moving on. There is a heck of a lot to consider in these situations. I think NHL coaches, etc. put a lot more value in NHL ready players than some people realize. Similarly they don't view the last couple roster spots as places to stash prospects in order to get in another game or two.

I personally think Big Mac sucks but I'm not going to freak out and start bashing management quite yet. I'm willing to see how it plays out I guess.

3 hours ago, Russ said:

Only been 1 year as a full time NHL player now with Florida at 24 years old.  Spent 3 years bouncing back and forth for Chicago and even 19/20 was AHL only with Charlotte.  Maybe he finally found a home that works in Florida but not like he's been ripping it up in the NHL as a full timer for years now.

True but it would be nice to have Forsling as a d-man for the Canucks either as part of a team or as asset that can be flipped that is not Clendenning :lol:

9 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Yeah no one is saying we should be married to our prospects. But losing a gritty 22 year old who has been progressing in the AHL to the point of 18points in 19 games last season is a failure of management. Gadjovich is good callup depth and 1-2 years down the road may become a good regular player for us. You trying to argue that away is "the complete logic fail" lol. 

On the other hand, let's say you are right and Gadjovich does suck. Then that just means Benning wasted another 2nd rounder and drafted no one. His homeruns of Pettersson, Hughes and Boeser over 7 years of drafting high (because our team has sucked for 7 years) is not looking so good when paired with Virtanen, Juolevi, Lind, Gadjovich. 

Didn't they try to send him to the AHL though and stated he would have been a call up at times even this year?

What I'm trying to say is it doesn't have to be that Gadjovich sucks (I don't think he sucks I never said he sucks anywhere) or we screwed up somehow. 22 year players and former ELC contracts on the cusp are waived all the time. That's a tough choice all NHL teams are faced with. This is not a situation unique only to  the Canucks.

2nd rounders have about a 25% of playing games in NHL so I don't understand the criticism levelled towards Benning in your last paragraph.

I think the move was a win now decision. 

Chiasson is a known entity. They know he can play at NHL level and provide net front presence. 

Gadj is an unknown at the NHL level. He may have more potential than Chiasson but they didn't have time to find out and tried to stash him in the minors rather than play him in 2 more preseason games. 

After watching last night's game, I think Gadj was up against Chiasson. 

This goes to show that our leadership group would rather have more polished vets to round out the team. 

The only way Gadj was going to make this team was skate around and hit everything that moves like Lockwood while still having his scoring touch around the net. That's how a young guy like Hogz made the team and that's why Lockwood is still around. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Don't forget Kole Lind ... after he was selected by Seattle people here were saying that "we had Gadjovich anyways, and he's the more promising player" :huh:

I said that - and I think it was true.

But we could have brought back Lind for free right now, correct? Can someone weigh in on this - my understanding is that we could have brought him back at no cost except his cap hit and a spot on the NHL roster.

It seems the Canucks don't really have a super high opinion of Gadjovich or Lind.

1 hour ago, Putgolzin said:

I said that - and I think it was true.

But we could have brought back Lind for free right now, correct? Can someone weigh in on this - my understanding is that we could have brought him back at no cost except his cap hit and a spot on the NHL roster.

It seems the Canucks don't really have a super high opinion of Gadjovich or Lind.

I don't think they have a poor opinion of them. I think they wanted to go the safer route this year on the roster by going with more experience. 

It's really unfortunate for Gadj because 2 years ago, he would have probably made the team. 

It goes to show we have a pretty solid team now and it is hard to make this team. 

If I was another gm, I would screw with the Canucks and offer Chiasson a contract if I needed a winger