The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Olli Juolevi to Panthers for Juho Lammikko, Noah Juulsen

13 hours ago, captainhorvat said:

4E79A19D-5CC8-4721-80E0-1C55F96B0948.jpeg.7dff2370d05dd760e7e93183779401e9.jpeg

peace out!

This is what did it for me. You come to camp out of shape and lay down like that? This was the year he was supposed to show something. 

Anyways, I’m glad we got rid of him and found a RHD. The forward is gravy.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

At least Virtanen's buyout is a lot less than what the Leafs are paying Nylander to float and refuse to backcheck.  Jake made Double Flamingo look like a workaholic.

From what I heard from the Toronto folks is that Nylander was that Nylander was one of the better performers during the playoffs. Backcheck or not Nylander is solidified himself as a playoff performer. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

From what I heard from the Toronto folks is that Nylander was that Nylander was one of the better performers during the playoffs. Backcheck or not Nylander is solidified himself as a playoff performer. 

That doesn't say a whole lot when the team as a whole folds like a cheap tent in the playoffs.  I wouldn't take that lazy floater for free.

• Like 1

First thoughts on this trade: this is the second new player I was hoping to have on the roster for the start of the season (Gadjovich being the other). Both were traded.

So, I'm going to try an experiment. I really, really, really hope that Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser, Horvat Hoglander and Demko make the team this year... Let's see what happens.

regards,  G.

Edited by Gollumpus
  • Haha 1

I'm getting a Ballard and Oreskovich vibe off of this deal.

If I have any negative feelings regarding this trade, I hold no ill will towards the player(s). Hopefully Juulsen and Lammikko will work out for the Canucks. I suppose it's better than losing Juolevi through waivers. The team gets a young, RD (which they need) and a guy who may be better than Gadjovich..................................................

So, Poolman, Myers and Juulsen on the right side to start the season? We'll see how it turns out in a week or so.

regards,  G.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, AK_19 said:

I don't think Joulevi failing as a prospect can really be blamed on Benning. By the scouting reports themselves, one of Joulevi's strengths was his mobility and skating. However, it was clearly one of his weaknesses at camp. The only thing that can explain the drastic difference in his skating has to do with his injuries. Nobody has a crystal ball guys. Virtanen I blame 100% on Benning, Joulevi was just unlucky. 

I disagree with you in regards to JV.

And I feel both OJ and JV both didn’t pan out for the exact same reason. 

they don’t have the work ethic and professional attitude required to be a high pedigree player. But they came with a high degree of arrogance and entitlement.

JV came into camp out of shape far too many times.

that was not Bennings fault. 

The case that they brought him to the NHL to early has merit but what’s McCanns excuse then? He’s become an impactful nhler and he had a more difficult position and a less nhl ready frame than JV in that year they made the team a little early.

also Jake had an unfavorable situation with the hitmen. The coaching staff weren’t using him correctly there and he was becoming a one trick pony where he would blow by guys or overpower / overwhelm them with his speed and size go outside and just blow the puck by the goalie. 

an extremely low percentage play in the pros.

it could be argued that another year in junior and he could have just cemented bad habits that would not translate to the pros well at all.

let’s be real JB didn’t ruin JV. JV was given every opportunity to develop into a top 6 winger here. And JB sure as hell didn’t have any involvement in JV sexual conquests / misconducts that have pushed him out of the league.

• Like 1
  • Wat 1

35 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

So in one offseason we dumped:

Virtanen (6th overall)

Juolevi (5th overall)

Lind (33rd overall)

Gadjovich (55th overall)

Thankfully we’ve had some big wins with other picks but that represents a lot of wasted potential right there.

Those holes start to add up and we’re going to see big gaps in our prospects transitioning to the NHL if that keeps happening.

Doesnt help that Benning spent the 9th overall pick to cover this gap left in the roster either. We’re gonna need a series of very good drafts coming up to insure that the young talent is there when we need it.

He better not trade away next year’s 1st round pick to clean up his mess. 

We need that pick. Supposed to be one of the deeper drafts in a while. Our pipeline doesn’t look great as of today. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

So in one offseason we dumped:

Virtanen (6th overall)

Juolevi (5th overall)

Lind (33rd overall)

Gadjovich (55th overall)

Thankfully we’ve had some big wins with other picks but that represents a lot of wasted potential right there.

Those holes start to add up and we’re going to see big gaps in our prospects transitioning to the NHL if that keeps happening.

Doesnt help that Benning spent the 9th overall pick to cover this gap left in the roster either. We’re gonna need a series of very good drafts coming up to insure that the young talent is there when we need it.

Yup, in the greater sense, it could become problematic to move out a number of higher level prospects. For the specific prospects listed, I'm sorta' kind of meh. None of these guys are deal breakers for how the current team has been put together. The biggest issue is that little to no return has come back for them. If Juulsen pans out, then the concerns raised in this thread are greatly reduced.

As to the traded 1st, I believe that Ekman-Larsson can shoulder a lot of defensive duties, which should help the offense now, and should allow Hughes (and assuming Rathbone)  some breathing room to develop. The other option (as I saw it) was for the Canucks to try and trade down 15 or so spots (and hope that someone like Ceulemans or Lambos were still there to be picked), and then wait maybe 5+ years for that guy to develop. Now, I'm okay with this deal.

Virtanen would only be (at best a bottom-6 player with the current team. Sure, I'd like the Canucks to have drafted Pastrnak other than Virtanen, but that's something which can't be changed, so I don't really care anymore.

Juolevi might have become a very good d-man for the Canucks. If wishes were fishes, I'd rather the Canucks had picked Cernak, Sergachev (sleepy) but as with Virtanen,  that's something which can't be changed, so I don't really care. The Canucks got back a young RD, who could become a decent player. Maybe Lammikko will try to stay iin the AHL/NHL, or maybe he will go back to Europe.

When was Lind ever going to be an NHL player, let alone a 3C? I don't even see him as becoming a 4C. With the Canucks he showed no significant promise in that area, and the Kraken are "developing" Lind at the AHL level, which would likely be where he'd start the season if he were still with the Canucks.

I would have liked to see Gadjovich start the season at 4LW. I think that there were/are a number of other guys who probably would have slid through waivers with barely a raised eyebrow. If he didn't work out sometime during the first month (or so), then try to trade him or waive him. Maybe he makes to Abbottsford, or maybe something comes back which is useful should he be traded.

regards,  G.

EDIT: I keep forgetting about McCann. My biggest issues with drafting him are, we could have gotten someone "better" )eg. Pastrnak), and that the deal that moved to Florida didn't work out for the Canucks. Otherwise, I don't really miss him. Hope he does well for the rest of his career (except against the Canucks).

Edited by Gollumpus
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

That doesn't say a whole lot when the team as a whole folds like a cheap tent in the playoffs.  I wouldn't take that lazy floater for free.

This is because you’re not a hockeyfan. 
You look for something else.

Hughes par example is adored. 
If you had seen Nylander with Petey you’d fallen in love. 

Like many on here, I fell in love with the idea that we had a pretty good prospect pool. Now that a lot of them are not panning out, my optimism is dwindling. Here’s hoping that we can have a great season.

Gotta start building a prospect pool. It’s time to hire someone that is committed to drafting and development. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Like many on here, I fell in love with the idea that we had a pretty good prospect pool. Now that a lot of them are not panning out, my optimism is dwindling. Here’s hoping that we can have a great season.

Gotta start building a prospect pool. It’s time to hire someone that is committed to drafting and development. 

Stocking the cupboard is always a good idea. This being said, I think the cupboard is fairly well stocked. The core is mostly in their mid-20's (Horvat, Boeser). There also are guys who are in the early stages of their careers (Pettersson, Hughes, Hoglander, Demko). There's also a bunch of prospects who have yet to see NHL time, such as Klimovich, Lockwood, Podkolzin, Rathbone (yah, he has played a few games W/E), Woo, DiPietro, Silvos. 

I think things aren't that bad. I suggest folks do a trip through the draft history since 2014, to see just how many teams have had top-3 picks not pan out (or go further down if you have the time). Also look for picks/prospects who were traded, usually for older players to fill out a roster.

<insert comments here about how cherry picked team was established and looking to be a contender, so they were trading the future to support the present blah, blah blah> 

regards,  G.

• Cheers 3

4 hours ago, iinatcc said:

They have been using him on PK this year.

Wow, okay for Juulsen?  

what a flop.  Three legit defencemen in that draft and we get first pick and not take Serge, McAvoy or Chyckrun.  

The club has always struggled with drafting defence.  Thank god Detroit missed on Hughes, that’s like JB missing when he drafted OJ.  Or OJ will pull a grabner and thrive.  

video games?  Wtf.  I though he was supposed to be disciplined.  Well JV was a flop, OJ was a flop.  

The misses suck but the wins are absolutely more.  

This team needs to continue to draft defencemen.  We are stocked up front.  D men,  first pick for the next three drafts.  Get em and figure out how t9 do it right.  

video games… &^@#.  , 

• Wat 1

Juulsen is a miss, how is he going to be better than Bowey atm.  

Depth.  Not like he has translated.  How did he get more than league min?  

not sure about the Finn.  Center and responsible.  Okay.  

let’s see what happens now with Hamonic.  At least there is cap space?  

1 hour ago, Phat Fingers said:

Wow, okay for Juulsen?  

what a flop.  Three legit defencemen in that draft and we get first pick and not take Serge, McAvoy or Chyckrun.  

The club has always struggled with drafting defence.  Thank god Detroit missed on Hughes, that’s like JB missing when he drafted OJ.  Or OJ will pull a grabner and thrive.  

video games?  Wtf.  I though he was supposed to be disciplined.  Well JV was a flop, OJ was a flop.  

The misses suck but the wins are absolutely more.  

This team needs to continue to draft defencemen.  We are stocked up front.  D men,  first pick for the next three drafts.  Get em and figure out how t9 do it right.  

video games… &^@#.  , 

Why do you keep bringing up video games? That rumour was shot down by media, at least with regards to Juolevi being the one who was the gamer.

6 hours ago, grandmaster said:

This is what did it for me. You come to camp out of shape and lay down like that? This was the year he was supposed to show something. 

Anyways, I’m glad we got rid of him and found a RHD. The forward is gravy.

there was really no excuse for him to be anything less than the hungriest, most prepared, most urgent guy at camp. and he didn't come anywhere remotely close. 

Edited by tas
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1