The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Edmonton Oilers | Oct. 13, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

IMO the Oilers carried play for 5/8 of the game. It felt like they did but not too much.

We would build momentum 5v5 and carry play but then get a PP and have all that momentum dwindle due to PP#1 crapping the bed. Oilers kept building momentum with their special team play into 5v5 which gave them the slight edge overall in play throughout the game.

We started the game well and ended it well in regulation. Oilers owned most of that 3rd though. That's the only period it felt like one team having an edge in play. It felt like the first 2 periods were even 5v5 but we started the 3rd with a PP. Demko had to put us on his back during a lot of that 3rd. We ended the 3rd really well though.

Overall the result is acceptable for a road 1st game of the season. I thought the Oilers had a lot more of the better chances though and had an off-night offensively. If it weren't for Demko and some of the veteran D we would have gotten blown out, even if Smith was average.

We could be a lot better. Our offensive stars had a bad night overall. PP#1 needs to be a lot better. Special teams overall can be. Need to find a way to maintain momentum and carry play longer than we do. That will happen with improving the PP.

15 minutes ago, R3aL said:

What a game! Lots of fun to watch.

Especially when we have so many new faces, some injuries, a wonky camp and preseason etc

really encouraged by what we saw and think it’s only going to improve.

horvat should be in the top 3 shooters though always I think.

I'd still like to see Podz given a try on top line with Petey and flow and drop Miller with Bo and Tanner or Hogs since Hogs seems to be getting better and better but Hogs Dickerson and Podz would be a pretty good 3rd line with a scoring threat back.. but we got beat by 1 in a shoot out without Boeser even, not bad for first game with the new guys

8 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

I don't think it is a fluke that Myers levelled Keith.  The team knows the history.

This is the first game with Keith in our division and Myers took the opportunity to see a chance and nail that son of a bit*h.

I loved it.

This is what this team needs. Nail anybody who has done us wrong like this in the past.

Hey Keith, Tyler says welcome to the pacific and Daniel says FU!

That hit was satisfying but it was also a turning point.

A hit like that can change the complexion of the hockey game.

• Cheers 3

18 minutes ago, McBackup said:

Overall, it wasn't a W, and maybe its the multiple Steamworks IPAs in me combined with my excitement that Canucks hockey is back, but I'm okay with this game. Lots to improve on, but lots to be encouraged by.

Love the Steamworks IPA 

Cheers!

2 minutes ago, KILLER said:

Can he be sent down when Brock gets back? Or pressbox this snail.

Chai is a 13th forward. Motte and boeser bump him and dowling out.

Hey man it could be worse, Imagine if green had the chance to ice vey, chaput, megna, weber, pouliot ect... :emot-parrot:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

I'd still like to see Podz given a try on top line with Petey and flow and drop Miller with Bo and Tanner or Hogs since Hogs seems to be getting better and better but Hogs Dickerson and Podz would be a pretty good 3rd line with a scoring threat back.. but we got beat by 1 in a shoot out without Boeser even, not bad for first game with the new guys

Agree.

Podz grew every game in the preaseason. He's gonna continue to grow into his role given the opportunities.

Chiasson is a bit awkward elsewhere in the lineup though. He does not do what a typical 3rd or 4th line player does.

18 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I thought that we were the better team tonight as far as posession goes.  Maybe someone with advanced stats can back me up or shoot me down.  

Dickinson and Highmore had a dynamite game with whoever was on their line... first Hoggy and then Lammikko.  I'm already liking Lammikko!  Between him, Highmore, and Motte when he gets back, we are going to have some fun fast fowards that can forecheck with the best of them.  

I honestly thought that all our d-men were excellent tonight.  We can nitpick and find one or two bad plays, but they more then made up for it with great defensive plays on McDavid, Draisatl, Hyman and Puljujarvi.  

Demko was solid.  Mike Smith was probably the best player on the ice.  

Oh and we already have the highlight of the year with the Myers hit.  Love it!  Great way to claw out a point.  

We actually had a pretty bad night in terms of expected goals and apparently OEL had a really bad expected goals but had a good corsi which I find a bit weird cause I don’t really remember any huge chances for the Oilers with him on the ice.  Eye test we looked fine besides the end of the first period which is the reason why our possession numbers were poor.  Both teams were dead even in possession except for the last 5 minutes of the first which is what turned us from an average night in that regards to a bad night.  By advanced stats we were dominated, however because we had so many power plays and were even in play most of the game, by the eye test we played perfectly fine.

Lammiko, Dowling, Hoglander, and Burroughs dominated in possession.  All had more than 60% expected goals with the first two with a 80% expected goals.

Edited by Rindiculous