The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Pettersson not the same player we expect him to be?

Rate this topic

b3nnyb

He's 22 years old. He's a kid. Give the kid time to develop.

Not every superstar becomes a superstar overnight. We know the potential is there. We just have to let him develop.

I also want to point out that players like MacKinnon took a few years before they became elite. Even the Sedins took a few years before that became elite. Other elites like Joe Thornton took a few years as well. This isn't an uncommon occurance.

Edited by The Lock
  • Vintage 1

On 10/20/2021 at 9:09 AM, b3nnyb said:

Hello everyone 

Do you feel Pettersson is not the same player that we expect him to be?

Looking back at the comparisons made to Gretzky and McDavid looks absurd

There is a reason why many scouts had ranked him lower than where he was picked but we’re treating him like a 1st overall pick

Has the time come to stop these silly comparisons to the legends and accept that he’s at best a 1B/2A C?

From the OEL trade / UFA signings in the summer to this...and everything in-between...is the reason i barely come on here anymore. Again, the media and some of this fan base is off their rockers! And, some on here just keep on keeping on with their negativity / hate on here. Makes it hard for the rest to enjoy when it consumes the forum and most threads. It's unfortunate! 

• Like 3
  • Wat 2

11 minutes ago, IRR said:

From the OEL trade / UFA signings in the summer to this...and everything in-between...is the reason i barely come on here anymore. Again, the media and some of this fan base is off their rockers! And, some on here just keep on keeping on with their negativity / hate on here. Makes it hard for the rest to enjoy when it consumes the forum and most threads. It's unfortunate! 

The same suspects every PGT, win or lose.

• Cheers 2

Pettersson is awesome, just needs a little more practice time than he was getting on the road. Needs to get sharp again and finish shaking the rust off from not playing for about 8 months.

There's a big difference in practicing one timers off the ice and executing in game situations. He's going to have a breakout game soon. 

35 minutes ago, Me_ said:

@b3nnyb

Still a completely and utterly useless thread.

Quite the member of the forum all around. Has only given out "wut" and "rough game" emotes on their time here. Never once given a positive emote. Just over reacts to our young kids and hands our negative responses. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

Quite the member of the forum all around. Has only given out "wut" and "rough game" emotes on their time here. Never once given a positive emote. Just over reacts to our young kids and hands our negative responses. 

Useless as they come.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

22 hours ago, The Lock said:

He's 22 years old. He's a kid. Give the kid time to develop.

Not every superstar becomes a superstar overnight. We know the potential is there. We just have to let him develop.

I also want to point out that players like MacKinnon took a few years before they became elite. Even the Sedins took a few years before that became elite. Other elites like Joe Thornton took a few years as well. This isn't an uncommon occurance.

On that...Joe Thornton took 6 years to break out...and his best season was year  8, 9, 10 - AFTER the lockout.   Even he and his 6'4" 235lb frame totally benefited after the lockout.   Aside from one other boffo dead puck era season with Boston in 2002-2003 just before the lockout.   At the time he was 23 when it started.   He also played at 18, and totally dominated the Sedins in prospect tourneys - they talked about that. 

I agree it takes time.  Usually 4th year is the breakout - OR not breakout season.  It's not a role per say, but it's the most common area for when players do break out.  For Thornton, it was his first year that he almost had a PPG.   So good call.    I remember him and Statchard having a spirited bout too.    Actually hope Thornton wins a cup.   At least he didn't retire and is still trying too.   He's a lock for the HHOF 3 years after he does retire anyways.  

So yes - EP is now in his fourth season, just signed a deal that will make him richer then most people will ever be after 30-40 years of work.   He for sure bet on himself, and so far JB is looking like a genuis lol.  Quin Hughes is earning his Norris trophy votes so far - and a lot of apologies.   From me too although early days yet, and for sure OEL also plays into it.   The Alien ... well i'm sure he will too.    Im not betting against him.   

As far as "superstar" goes.   You can only use that label if your a top 1-3 by position, for several years.  As in a top three D, or LW or RW or in EPs case C.  I don't think he will ever get there personally.   Maybe one or two years.  The only guys we've ever had that did that was Bure and Naslund.   That's it. 

• Cheers 2

Ok, just for posterity sake... Yes Petey has struggled, but he is either tied or ahead in scoring than the following players,

Bergeron, Stone, DeBrusk, Pavelski, Toffoli, A. Matthews B) M Tkatchuk, Hischier, Kotkaniemi, Scheifele, B Tkatchuk, 

I wouldn't be hitting the panic button just yet folks. Especially since we haven't even played a home game yet.

• Vintage 1

18 hours ago, The_Rocket said:

Petey’s struggles this season not unlike another young player in the NHL. Who bounces back first, Petey or Marner?

worth noting petey has been much better on the PP compared to marner

0C7E0176-4186-47CB-9766-EBBE5F801962.png

And unlike that waif Marner, Pettersson isn't afraid of the rough stuff. Just ask Alec Martinez.

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, StiffStick33 said:

He needs more time. Nathan Mackinnon took 4 years to hit his stride. All while getting constantly compared to crosby. Look at him now...

Oh no another loss!  Cue the EPs garbage the teams garbage, JBs garbage everything Green is garbage posts.   Relax.   It's just a game.   And EP even at 30/30 is still an excellent player in the NHL.   He will get there.   Maybe his rookie season (and BB and QHs for that matter) got us a little too excited.    Naslund.   The Sedins.   Go back and look at their "stats"...they really weren't close to EPs for a very long time.    26-32 EP should be dynamite.