The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canucks @ Blackhawks - Oct 21st, 2021, 5:30pm PST

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

We have two more games to go on this road trip. If we lose both of these games, that's where I would start to get a bit more concerned. It would put us at a 1-4-1 record and it could possibly impact the attendance for our home opener and later home games -- something that Aquilini I'm sure will be keeping an eye on.

Aquilini has mentioned that he will be really disappointed if we miss the playoffs this season.

I think there's at least a 50% chance that no playoffs this year means either Green or Benning is gone--I'd guess the former.

Just now, DeNiro said:

One trick pony.

Its the only tool he has. Did the same thing with Virtanen and Boeser.

Problem is Podkolzin isn’t the weak link right now. Benching rookies every time you struggle and not vets is just misdirection.

Yes and I feel Podzy is still driving the net hard and capable of playing 2-way hockey with giving the odd hit. 
 Definitely agree that he’s not the problem. I was good with Green but today I was thinking about the common factors in the last handful of years and when you change 60% of the roster and the results are the same, this lies on the coaches.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

I think there's at least a 50% chance that no playoffs this year means either Green or Benning is gone--I'd guess the former.

100% chance Green would be gone.

Benning being gone Id be a little less sure on. Doubt the owners wanna pay two GMs salaries with revenue down. A coach would hit them a little lighter on the other hand.

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, Bure_of_94 said:

Yes and I feel Podzy is still driving the net hard and capable of playing 2-way hockey with giving the odd hit. 
 Definitely agree that he’s not the problem. I was good with Green but today I was thinking about the common factors in the last handful of years and when you change 60% of the roster and the results are the same, this lies on the coaches.

That’s what I said last season and some people kept telling me it was the players.

There’s been enough turnover year after year that it’s pretty obvious it’s coaching.

They had a chance this summer to send Baumer packing and see if that was the issue but I guess Green is now tied to him. Would have been nice to see what a veteran X’s and O’s coach could have done in his position but oh well.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

I don't mind Podz sitting out a game. I don't think he had a poor game by any means as that 2nd goal doesn't happen without his zone entry and possession control. Much like Rathbone/Juolevi last year or Boeser in 2017, sometimes you sit a player to give them an opportunity to watch from above... there is some learning and development involved just from watching. Now I also don't believe that scratching Podkolzin gives the Canucks a better chance to win tonight, but sometimes to take a step forward you need to take a step back. I'm willing to bet that the Canucks learned a fair amount inserting Hunt and Schenn last game to fill in for an injured Hughes and an inexperienced Burroughs... hopefully it leads to positive results.

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, therodigy said:

I don't mind Podz sitting out a game. I don't think he had a poor game by any means as that 2nd goal doesn't happen without his zone entry and possession control. Much like Rathbone/Juolevi last year or Boeser in 2017, sometimes you sit a player to give them an opportunity to watch from above... there is some learning and development involved just from watching. Now I also don't believe that scratching Podkolzin gives the Canucks a better chance to win tonight, but sometimes to take a step forward you need to take a step back. I'm willing to bet that the Canucks learned a fair amount inserting Hunt and Schenn last game to fill in for an injured Hughes and an inexperienced Burroughs... hopefully it leads to positive results.

I like it when posters don’t fall into ld school thinking. 

We are just fans who don't know much, But greener loves to mess with us i swear. Always doing the exact opposite of what the majority who voice their opinion want. It's kind of funny to be honest

Please win tonight canucks,You played pretty well 5v5 is all but last game.  Special teams are still pretty trash somehow. 82 games is alot but man it doesn't help our case when getting blown out by bottom feeders. This fanbase and team need a good win before rolling into what will probably be an intense atmosphere in seattle on saturday!

Toss up really....the collapses of the Nucks during a game are a definite worry....Petey....lacking confidence??? No Hughesy...Defensive structure ? ????

Chicago not much better.... so whichever team stinks less will win today.... hoping Canucks....

3 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

I like it when posters don’t fall into ld school thinking. 

Hey Timrafan, JD got 2 goals the other night for the Sharks.  First 2 goals in the NHL.  Glad to see him come over as it will be interesting to see how Jonathan Dahlen does after the way things went in Utica.  I am looking forward to playing the Sharks and seeing how he stacks up next to Pete. B)

They haven't looked like a cohesive team yet. A lot of new guys still figuring things out, getting used to line mates.

I remember AV used to have those fun team building exercises for the players at camp. Does Green do anything like that? Or is his schtick the bag skate?  AV was a good coach, an authority figure.

Canucks need to build that team chemistry quick. 

1 minute ago, steviewonder20 said:

Serious question: can someone explain why Miller is not on the top line with Petey and Boeser and why Dickinson is not our 3rd line C? I thought Dickinson was acquired specifically for that purpose.

We have a coach that likes to balance his lines differently than most. 

51 minutes ago, longsuffering said:

Shouldn't play him if he is injured... it is a long season and we need him long term.

Players play through injuries in the playoffs. Hughes should just play through it by logging 30+ minutes given the importance of each playoff game.

It's been a long time since we played a playoff series against the Wings. Hughes playing 30 minutes against them definitely helped us to dominate Detroit on the shot counts.

Or wait, Hughes played 30 minutes in the 3rd game of the regular season that didn't go to overtime against an opponent that's not even in our conference anymore???

Seriously, someone needs to remind the coaching staff that we are not in the playoffs yet. I know they are fantasizing about it everyday but they need to let off a bit. No player should log more than 22-24 minutes this early in the season.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1