The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canucks @ Blackhawks - Oct 21st, 2021, 5:30pm PST

Rate this topic

16 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Coaches will always lean on veterans, because they have "more experience" even if those veterans are terrible - like the last batch of "veterans" we had in Ericksson, Beagle, etc. Experience doesn't always translate onto the ice, it helps yes, of course, but sometimes you need young players who are hungry to make a mark on the team, and in the league. What veterans have in experience, they often lack in hunger - the drive to "want it" that younger players tend to have. 

I'd rather have youth in their hungry, rather than veterans who sit on their heels, knowing that they've "made it" already. 

Of course you have outliers like Virtanen, who were immature and well, seemed to be full of himself. Players like that, even if they're drafted high, don't usually last in the league. The NHL is the toughest league in the world for a reason. Coming into the league, can really humble any player, unless you're McDavid :P

That’s how I feel too. The entitled veterans scenario is probably so annoying because it has been so obvious and outsized in Vancouver for over a decade. 

There have been numerous times I have thought a vet should sit so they can feel a bit uncomfortable about their safety in their plush job. Pearson is the best current example of this. When he plays with that bit of fire to match his line mates he looks great. Unfortunately too often he only does it for half a game then goes back into floater mode. 

The fact he knows he will never lose his top 6 role no matter how he plays is certainly something that would make it actually tougher on the player to stay consistently motivated. 

It’s actually doing the vets no favours if you really think about it. And it certainly creates a dynamic of us vs them within the team between the vets and young players. It’s been a huge part of the culture problem in Vancouver for a decade now and probably longer.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

45 minutes ago, Mo Grit said:

GMs last an average of about 5.5 years in their job
JB became general manager on May 23, 2014.
his sell-by date is stale by +2 years

NHL head coaches average tenure is currently 2.4 years.
Green became head coach On April 26, 2017.
his sell by date is stale by +2.1 years

No stats for the average tenure of an assistant coach
Baumgartner was hired on June 7, 2017
?

Average NHL player plays on average 4.5 years
Canucks signed Pettersson On 25 May 2018
we likely have him for only another 1 year 

Canucks finished dead last of all the Canadian teams in 2021
US teams have won every Stanley Cup since 1993
analysis says we therefor sit bottom of the whole pile.

Now do how many top 5 picks leave first chance of UFA.

Numbers can be skewed and massaged to make any point.

Would be very surprised if you number on coaches and GMs are correct, especially on coaches. Looking around at current coaches that seems very low.

Also all good teams have stability, the crap teams that are perpetual losers are the teams that recycle coaches and GMs.

People who want JB fired assume the next GM will be better which is a dumb assumption and the reality would be most likely another GM coming in and either succeeding on all the moves Benning made just like Gillis, or the new GM comes in and we go through another rebuild.

Edited by Alienhuggyflow

We took one step forward against the Sabres by actually scoring first. We then took two steps back, failing to play hard for 60 minutes and failing to clear the puck from our own zone despite multiple chances.

The injury to Hughes has highlighted our woeful lack of depth. The only area we have depth players is on the 3rd and 4th lines, we have no depth in the top 6 or at defence. When Sutter and Motte return we will have 2 more third liners.

If our whole team is relying on a 22 year old playing 29 minutes a game then we are in trouble. The wisdom of letting OJ go is now looking pretty suspect.

Some people are saying it is too early to panic, but this road trip was about as easy as it gets. What will happen when we go out on the road against the likes of Colorado, Dallas or Vegas? It doesn't bode well.

This is a must-win game tonight, I'm hoping the players will realise it and bring their A game.

Wow, Canucks are huge underdogs this game... Lol

odds pay out at 2.25

How's this possible with our lineup vs Chicago and Chicago playing their backup.... 

Are we delusional here on CDC? 

I really like this team. 

Are they really that bad when stepping outside the Canucks bubble? 

I think I have to put some money down tonight because the boys have talked the talk

If they dont back that up with action, it might be a sign that the team truly isn't good enough but in my head, I think we have a pretty strong team so I gotta put my money where my mouth is

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

I’m hedging the team will play a better game tonight. Even without Hughes they should play a strong possession game. They may even pull off a 4-2 win. 

The season started off great - exciting hockey. The team has shown they can play that way and compete. Only 1 out of 4 games so far has been a dud, but elements within each of those games still persist which dog this team past and present, and lead to runs of poor performance.

If we don’t win this game tonight, or at least show an exceptional performance against a similarity struggling CHI team, then imho Green has not, or does not, have this team prepared OR his message is not getting though. 

Either way, I really hope we can kick the living crap out of CHI tonight, and not relent on it. I want to see a killer instinct out of this team for once under Green. Prove that they hate losing. Take it out on someone. Enough talk. 

The really crappy alternate explanation to a no show tonight is.... 

That they are actually a bad team like the rest of the world suggests. 

I do not buy it though and I really like this team. I think we are capable of playing way better 

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

odds pay out at 2.25

How's this possible with our lineup vs Chicago and Chicago playing their backup.... 

I really like this team. 

I think I have to put some money down tonight because the boys have talked the talk

If they dont back that up with action, it might be a sign that the team truly isn't good enough but in my head, I think we have a pretty strong team so I gotta put my money where my mouth is

This team has great potential. Much more than previous years. The problem is CDC almost always values/clings to the idea of that potential over and above playing to it.

The misconception is that we could be better than we are. While that’s not delusional - the team has had pretty significant turnover without the luxury of more games to assess, when you look at a record of play, when you look at the systems dysfunction, the too many men penalties, the lack of emotion, the lip service of having to focus… all of those things, we are still only as good as our record indicates.

In looking at this team as it is right now, tonight should be a very serious game to them to define or prove something. The first 3 games was a glimpse of that capability/mindset. It’s in them, but Green needs to be the one to rally this team. 

Not Hogz, won’t be Podz, shouldn’t be EP, Bo or TJ.

It’s on Green.

Edited by RWJC

1 minute ago, Justintime said:

I don't know how to feel about this.... 

On one hand, I hope they come out and kick the sh** out of the Hawks... the other hand hopes we lose 10 straight and Green is canned. 

not likely to happen

23 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

odds pay out at 2.25

I really like this team. 

Don't do it... unless Hughes is confirmed to dress tonight!!

I got $ on Columbus tonight.. that's a safer bet! Thank me later!

• Haha 1