The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How did we descend into the bottom basement so fast, after all the changes this off season?

Rate this topic

RU SERIOUS

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Shaw is a complete unknown? I'm pretty sure Alex Pietrangelo, Colton Parayko, Seth Jones, Zack Werenski, John Tortorella, and various others know him and what he's capable of. He's been an established and recognized assistant coach for St. Louis and Columbus. with over a decade and a half of experience at the job. A guy like Shaw is primed to become a head coach. 

but isn't everyone saying they want an experienced head coach if Green is removed?  That's not Hunt, thus, as a head coach, he is an unknown

14 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Vegas a few years ago and Seattle say hi.

Vegas is an anomaly.  I can't think of an expansion team doing as well in their 1st season.    Seattle has the same stats as Vancouver and had a 6 game home stance to begin their season.

1 minute ago, higgyfan said:

Vegas is an anomaly.  I can't think of an expansion team doing as well in their 1st season.    Seattle has the same stats as Vancouver and had a 6 game home stance to begin their season.

Based on what we've seen on home ice, the Canucks are lucky they started on the road.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

And both also had every player on their roster being new.

Thats what good coaching can do. Especially Vegas. Gallant was a huge reason that team was and has been a perennial contender and his fingerprints are still all over how that team plays.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

but isn't everyone saying they want an experienced head coach if Green is removed?  That's not Hunt, thus, as a head coach, he is an unknown

I'd prefer to give Shaw a shot. He's younger than the likes of Boudreau and Julien, who aren't really in demand anymore, and he's widely regarded as an intelligent and thorough hockey mind. He had half a year of head coach experience back in 2006 for the Islanders. I think his experience makes him a prime candidate for the role. 

Hunt? I'd rather not have him as a head coach. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

He has been on an NHL bench a very long time though. He is very experienced. He also was an interim head coach at one point iirc.

Unknown is taking a guy with 0 experience of any kind on an NHL bench and making him your head coach.

• Vintage 2

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

He has been on an NHL bench a very long time though. He is very experienced. He also was an interim head coach at one point iirc.

Unknown is taking a guy with 0 experience of any kind on an NHL bench and making him your head coach.

That would be Travis Green.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Other teams with new players have been able to assimilate them fairly easily this season. 

That’s because it’s just an excuse.

If the Canucks started with a 6 game home stand these same people would be saying they needed to get out on the road right away to help gel as a team.

You know it’s true.

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Seattle started on the road - went all the way out East.   Vancouver was Seattle's opponent for their home opener.  

• Haha 2

Lots of people are suggesting that Travis Green is responsible for the lack of imagination on our static power play system. I suggest otherwise - that our problems previously started with Newell Brown’s predictable unimaginative system in the last few years and have continued on with Jason King running the power play this season. Peterson and Boeser are having trouble getting shooting lanes on the power play because the opponents know exactly where they are trying to set up.  

For a better example of more variety in a power play scheme with more flexible options, all one has to do is look at the imaginative set play at 6:58 of the 1st period of the Canucks-Philly game on Oct 28th. Philly assistant coach Michel Therrien put together a set play where Giroux deliberately fires the puck from the half boards off the lively boards behind the net to Sean Couturier who in turn relays a cross goal pass to a wide-open van Riemsdyk for the back door play. We never seem to get a variety of power plays options and looks - it is all too predictable. The Canucks are an easy study for opponent video scouts.

By the way,  I think that our defensive play has been okay with Brad Shaw working with the team. Our goals against (with great work by Demko) has been okay, but if we get no PP offensive production, we are going to continue losing games to teams with better special teams.

4 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

That’s because it’s just an excuse.

If the Canucks started with a 6 game home stand these same people would be saying they needed to get out on the road right away to help gel as a team.

You know it’s true.

In my original post, I was trying to reason why there was so little chemistry on this team.  I also commented that the possibility of coaching staff could be a reason.

I am not committed to only one reason for their slow start, and will not argue all day with people that only see the problem as coaching.

As I said before, the situation will be resolved, one way or another, by the 20th anyway.

Regards,

These same people