The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How did we descend into the bottom basement so fast, after all the changes this off season?

Rate this topic

RU SERIOUS

36 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Starting on the road, with few practices, is not helpful for a team with so many new players to develop chemistry.

Seems like the more practise and time with the coaches they get at home, the worse they look.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

With over 1/10th of our games already in the books, we've already descended into the bowels of the league standings at 28th (likely 29th by tonight), which is something we don't normally see until seasons end - every year.   

What do you believe has caused such a rapid descent into the bottom of the basement so early on this season, rather than in past years where we slowly descend there, after all the changes in the off-season, touted by JB as being "the beginning of a new era" and what do you think can be done to reverse this before the season is completely lost again?

What are we , 9 games into a season?

.. we must be tanking eh ? ;) 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, stawns said:

And only one point out of a wild card spot.  

Quick, everyone drink the kool-aid

Playing games against Buffalo, Detroit, Seattle, and Chicago. If Vancouver was any good they should have at least 8 pts by now and a few other wins at home. 

• Vintage 3

3 hours ago, The Lock said:

I don't know. I look at teams like Buffalo and how  well they've been doing and think about how unlikely they are to continue doing well.

I think the opposite could be thought of with us. Remember when AV was coach and every season ended being a slow start for us under him only to win the Presidents' trophy later? Obviously, the Presidents' trophy is unlikely for us, but it goes to show how little the 1st 10 games of a season means when it comes to the overall picture.

Problem with that logic is that Green isn't AV. 

Also as the folks in Sportsnet said. The Canucks are just not built to keep the momentum late in the season as proven by their struggles before the Covid pause a year ago. 

40 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Problem with that logic is that Green isn't AV. 

Also as the folks in Sportsnet said. The Canucks are just not built to keep the momentum late in the season as proven by their struggles before the Covid pause a year ago. 

I don't really see how any of what you said changes what I've said.

Plus, with the Sportsnet comment we're literally just talking about a single season and we have obviously made a lot of changes since. Noi only that, but I honestly think if what you say is true, does that mean we need to completely regut the team again without giving what we have a shot at least? There's a reason why I take such mumblings with a grain of salt, because the implications are a lot bigger than what people think in my opinion since small changes apparently don't change things.

2 hours ago, higgyfan said:

In my original post, I was trying to reason why there was so little chemistry on this team.  I also commented that the possibility of coaching staff could be a reason.

I am not committed to only one reason for their slow start, and will not argue all day with people that only see the problem as coaching.

As I said before, the situation will be resolved, one way or another, by the 20th anyway.

Regards,

These same people

There are several reasons for the slow start. It’s not JUST coaching. It’s just that so many of the issues tie directly back to coaching that it can no longer be ignored as not a huge factor.

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'd prefer to give Shaw a shot. He's younger than the likes of Boudreau and Julien, who aren't really in demand anymore, and he's widely regarded as an intelligent and thorough hockey mind. He had half a year of head coach experience back in 2006 for the Islanders. I think his experience makes him a prime candidate for the role. 

Hunt? I'd rather not have him as a head coach. 

No more experiments... get someone with proven success.

14 minutes ago, longsuffering said:

No more experiments... get someone with proven success.

It’s not really an experiment though. He has been on an NHL bench for the better part of 20 years. 

An experiment would be Cull. Or Green. Or Willie before him. Or Baumgartner. Or King. Or Gustafson. 

Shaw as interim coach would be fine IMO.

Need a new PoHO then a new GM who can properly search for the right long term coach though. 

• Vintage 1

9 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

Need more time. No one wants to hear it.

They aren't this bad just like the Flames aren't this good.

People on here are also overly biased.  The Canucks have a bad defense. People won't accept it.

Petey will get hot. Just watch. I think he needs 4 more games.

Ok then can i come back in 2 weeks and yell at you ?.....lol

I really don't care much for sample size this or that. The fact is that games #1 - #9 are worth the same amount of points as games #73 - #82. These are points we might regret not getting by the end of the year. Sure there are teams that catch fire late eg the St.Louis Blues, but we cant just tell ourselves that and expect it to be so. The Canucks cant let themselves devolve into the "We'll get em next time" team. If you keep saying "oh next game we will get better results" you will soon find out that there wont be a next game.

This team needs to be better and needs to happen tomorrow. Anything can happen, we can catch fire late, but if anything can happen then that means the opposite could be true. If anything can happen then that means the hot teams could stay hot, the bad teams could stay bad, or any other infinite number of possibilities. I would like us to start making things happen vs believing anything can happen. Lets start mitigating the possible outcomes and play a more complete game.

I think that getting the special teams going could go a long way and is without a doubt the #1 reason we are below .500 so far. 5v5 has been good enough (especially with Demko) but our powerplay should be better and it needs to start winning us games because as of yet, I don't feel confident in our PP to go out and get the game winner or the tying goal late in a game. Our PP isn't terrible, but it should be one of our strengths.

Our penalty killing needs to be a lot better as well, there are times when it looks fantastic, but then on most PK's it looks really bad. its shocking how easily our structure collapses. 

I also want to start seeing fewer touches and faster break outs when we get the puck in our own end, too many times we wait to set up, but by doing so you also allow the other team to change and set up their defense. A well structured defense should stop any attack, so its important to strike before the defense gets set. We seem so focused on setting up set break outs that always take too long to develop and its killing our on-the-rush offense.

The whole team looks too structured and rigid to be honest. The PP has the bumper play to Horvat and EP's one-of-these-days timers and that's it. There is no flow or creativity out there on the PP. The PK looks so reliant on structure as well that it cant seem to function as soon as the structure collapses.  Lets cause a little more chaos and give our skill guys opportunities to get creative. Green isn't a bad coach, but if we don't turn it around soon it might be time to start asking if he's the right coach for us.

In summary Special Teams, Special Team, Special Teams! Oh, and better break outs too. Lets get the Rangers and get back on track. GO CANUCKS GO!!!

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Playing games against Buffalo, Detroit, Seattle, and Chicago. If Vancouver was any good they should have at least 8 pts by now and a few other wins at home. 

Is it that amazing to see other clubs trying to find their game 10 games into the season?

.. and over the next 10 games McDavid could rip apart his ACL and Edmonton never win another game.

it’s hockey , relax, enjoy the next 72 games.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

27 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Is it that amazing to see other clubs trying to find their game 10 games into the season?

.. and over the next 10 games McDavid could rip apart his ACL and Edmonton never win another game.

it’s hockey , relax, enjoy the next 72 games.

Hey in the olden days that was an entire season  ... just saying. 

• Haha 1

Kind of hard to descend to the basement when we were already there for like 6-7 seasons lol

But, anyway, a fairly subpar defence and a forward group (which is hot on paper) not scoring will quickly sink a team.  No "defensive genius" coach or "underrated depth defenceman" signing is gonna be the solution to chronic issues.  Those come from the core and from the top.

I do think we're not as bad as we've shown but we eventually, you gotta actually get the results.

1 minute ago, Westcoasting said:

I,actually think if this keeps up much longer that Benning will be canned as a start. 

Doubtful either of them will be going anywhere, anytime soon.  Almost zero chance JB would be fired during the season