The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Potential Benning Replacements?

Rate this topic

PetterssonOrPeterson

1 hour ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

First off IMO, like the consensus at the moment, the problem begins with Benning as he is the one who is hiring these groups of coaches and hasn't really made progress for nearly 8 years now. 

While I do think we're in desperate need of a new GM, I have to disagree with this statement. The problem starts with a cheap, meddlesome owner that's using Benning as his surrogate to run the team.

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

While I do think we're in desperate need of a new GM, I have to disagree with this statement. The problem starts with a cheap, meddlesome owner that's using Benning as his surrogate to run the team.

that's fair.

All that drama with Linden was also because of Francesco and his differences of opinions.

It's no wonder he abruptly left the organization he has loved since he was drafted.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

I was also thinking of MacFarland and the general approach of looking at AGM'S from clubs that had successfully navigated through the different cycles a pro sports team has to undertake. 

Imo and based on what I had seen in my career in corporate: some assistants are only meant to be an assistant cause being a top dog is very different (ie: JB).  In terms of Colorado, Sakic is a very shrewd GM, based on his prospects & trades but his hardest job will be dealing with the cap & keeping the KEY talent together.

Moving forward, I wonder how Aquaman will assemble the leadership group - this for me, is the most interesting part.

That's why I think we would need an experienced president. MacFarland seems like he would excel in a background/behind the scenes role and the president can be the front man. MacFarland could be a good front guy/leader for all I know but when you have Sakic you'll probably never get that opportunity to show it.

MacFarland has taken interviews in recent years for GM roles. He wants the opportunity. He'll probably get one sooner than later.

Rutherford wants back in some capacity. It's been reported that he'd prefer a president of hockey ops spot.

A combo of Rutherford and MacFarland?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

That's why I think we would need an experienced president. MacFarland seems like he would excel in a background/behind the scenes role and the president can be the front man. MacFarland could be a good front guy/leader for all I know but when you have Sakic you'll probably never get that opportunity to show it.

MacFarland has taken interviews in recent years for GM roles. He wants the opportunity. He'll probably get one sooner than later.

Rutherford wants back in some capacity. It's been reported that he'd prefer a president of hockey ops spot.

I'd be up for this. 

Rutherford has that wealth of experience and MacFarland imo would be a fresh change from Benning. 

Good duo.

6 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Good take.   Imo, Sakic has autonomy from his (non meddling) owner(s); and the biggest question for any incoming hire should be how much autonomy he will have to perform his duties properly. 

Aquaman, has to take a brunt of the blame and spending to the cap is not enough, if he is cutting cost in other important positions.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I like this idea. They would need total autonomy though and I don't know if anyone will get that here. 

15 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I like this idea. They would need total autonomy though and I don't know if anyone will get that here. 

Yup, how much leash or no leash should be the first question for any worthwhile hire; and if not, a team will (most likely) hire a bunch of clueless nice dressing stiffs to run the hockey team on & off the ice.  Clueless stiffs, that will MOSTLY likely, pump the owners ego and backstab him, by repaying him with mediocrity.

If I was an owner, I would be insulted with these results; unless ofcourse, the hockey club is just a hobby to show off.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

1 hour ago, Quantum said:

Dean Lombardi has continually rejected offers to work for the Canucks for years. They tried poaching him out of LA after they fired Gillis and then tried to get him after Linden was fired. Lombardi has made it very clear that he'll never work for the Aquilini's and I don't blame him.

MacFarland would be my pick for GM. He seems next in line for a GM job. I also do like the idea of Gilman returning as GM, we may need his cap wizardry to get out of our d-core problems.

If Benning and Weisbrod are fired by the end of the week, I expect Chris Gear will be the interim GM until they hire someone full time later in the season.

Why does Lombardi dislike the Aqua’s so much?  2010 defeat?

19 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Why does Lombardi dislike the Aqua’s so much?  2010 defeat?

No. I mean Lombardi won two cups after 2010 so it's definitely not that.

I think it's a couple of things.

Lombardi doesn't want to live/work in Canada.

Aquilini has a reputation for being a little too "hands on" when it comes to Canucks personnel decisions (it's one of the reasons the Aquilini's love Benning because he's a yes man first and foremost before anything else) and Lombardi wants the space to do his job and not have ownership interfere with him. I also think Lombardi saw how Gillis was treated at the end and basically went "yeah, this ain't worth it."

Besides, Lombardi is pretty locked up with the Flyers and he can't leave them to take a lateral job at another franchise at this point too. If the Canucks are gonna get a former Kings management person it'll likely be Mike Futa.

• Cheers 1

Everyone is thinking way too big with this. This is Aqua as owner...they have not spent on their front office properly and cut every corner. Their circle is very small.

The shortlist will be:

- Sedins

- Lombardi (he'll say no)

- Geoff Courtnall

- Igor Larionov

- Mike Gillis (they'll ask, and he'll say autonomy or forget it)

- Ryan Johnson

- Robert Esche 

- Jeff Gorton (really slim to nil chance he'll take it)

- Jim Rutherford (see above)

- A fired GM this season

No way Bowman, McFarland or any other bright GM will ever work with Aqua's guidance.

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Why do people think it is a meddlesome owner?

I haven't seen any proof of this

If that is the case what does that say about our GM or any other one that would agree to being a GM?

In fact Aquaman who use to have a quick reaction  firing, has been Very patient with Jim (and trying something different)

I recall him saying "Jim has a vision of how to build this team and I want to follow through with that  and support him"

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, BureBurrito said:

Everyone is thinking way too big with this. This is Aqua as owner...they have not spent on their front office properly and cut every corner. Their circle is very small.

The shortlist will be:

- Sedins

- Lombardi (he'll say no)

- Geoff Courtnall

- Igor Larionov

- Mike Gillis (they'll ask, and he'll say autonomy or forget it)

- Ryan Johnson

- Robert Esche 

- Jeff Gorton (really slim to nil chance he'll take it)

- Jim Rutherford (see above)

- A fired GM this season

No way Bowman, McFarland or any other bright GM will ever work with Aqua's guidance.

Are you saying all the other potentials on your list, not named Bowman, or McFarland, aren’t bright?