The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Blight for Wright - Canucks already at less than 10% chance to make the playoffs

Rate this topic

Provost

49 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Yeah guess you're right to a certain extend...

If JR and the new management team think, changing direction means a great chance of a cup, I think we should all support it regardless of how we see it...

After all, what's the point of hiring one of the best (hopefully), if we don't follow his ideas... 

So yes, I'll be behind the management team as well, as hard as it may be to say good bye...

There's a chance it may be tough to accept some things, but management can't afford to get too attached to personnel imo, as harsh as that sounds 

Fans can afford that luxury 

Easier said than done, but in a business of millions you've gotta be able to be ruthless and make the tough decision 

I'm confident Rutherford can do that, we'll see who else he brings in for management positions 

• Vintage 1

If the Canucks make the playoffs it basically means they went something like 32-15-4 from here on out. If we have a team that can do that... We are a contender. Everything that's happened up to this point can be erased and forgotten, this team will be legit.

If they can't do that then folks have their answer on where this team lands and changes will be coming.

• Vintage 2

21 hours ago, Provost said:

Well your randomly invented scenario doesn’t even make a lick of sense, and certainly doesn’t have anything to do with my post you quoted… I mean if you actually bothered to read my post.

In what world is the best we can do is 2nd?  How would we know that in order to make a decision to tank?  Are we guaranteed to be in 2nd? Why would we belong to a league that has a rule that we aren’t allowed to do better than 2nd? 

Your post seems to be so nonsensical that it just looks like you were so eager to be smarmy that you just prematurely ejaculated random words onto the screen.

Try to be better.

Maybe after you get some much needed sleep you can actually read my post about being in a position to regularly make the playoffs with a realistic chance of winning as the aim of our team (and every team for that matter).

You should be in a front office! Would have been great for either St. Louis or LA the years they won the cup while making it low into the playoffs after a coaching change to have not won a cup, but instead tried to improve their team through the draft!

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

On 12/24/2021 at 10:04 PM, JayDangles said:

If the Canucks make the playoffs it basically means they went something like 32-15-4 from here on out. If we have a team that can do that... We are a contender. Everything that's happened up to this point can be erased and forgotten, this team will be legit.

If they can't do that then folks have their answer on where this team lands and changes will be coming.

This is something i agree with.   What team would want to play us, if we make the show?  Nobody.    We'd be a team that can win a 7 game series almost all the time IF the second season was identical.    I'd be making a trade, for the meanest SOB around to make sure our stars were protected.    Guys like Patrick Maroon become invaluable - why his name is on the cup - other teams know this.   Yes times have changed but thankfully the whistles are still put away to a degree come the Hudson Bay rules season a little.   Know it's probably a pipe dream that we make the show after that start - but the longer the season (and hope covid doesn't screw us) the better the chances of us clawing our way out.   Bruce Boudreau - "yes we've gone 6-0 but we are going for 10-0" .... love that guy.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/24/2021 at 9:27 AM, Boudrias said:

If the Canucks fight there way back into playoffs just imagine the gain in value the roster will enjoy. If Rutherford makes a cold blooded assessment of where the roster is and where it has to be improved he could deal from better strength. Since I don't consider the existing roster as a serious CUP contender it almost becomes an imperative that JR makes changes. The goodwill capital that JR and BB enjoy now will inevitably wane as it always does.  

Yes it will.  Eventually.   Let's hope that capital is a lot.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

This is something i agree with.   What team would want to play us, if we make the show?  Nobody.    We'd be a team that can win a 7 game series almost all the time IF the second season was identical.    I'd be making a trade, for the meanest SOB around to make sure our stars were protected.    Guys like Patrick Maroon become invaluable - why his name is on the cup - other teams know this.   Yes times have changed but thankfully the whistles are still put away to a degree come the Hudson Bay rules season a little.   Know it's probably a pipe dream that we make the show after that start - but the longer the season (and hope covid doesn't screw us) the better the chances of us clawing our way out.   Bruce Boudreau - "yes we've gone 6-0 but we are going for 10-0" .... love that guy.  

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

It would be an incredibly gutsy move by Rutherford to deal a Miller or Boeser in exchange for assets that could help the Canucks 1 or 2 years down the road. Moving players like that could kill any playoff hopes. As much as fans rationalize a methodical build toward serious playoff contention the reality is that fandom supercedes rationalism. That is why I dwell on goodwill capital. If Rutherford makes such a move does the Canuck community support it? On a good night we know the offensive talent in this group can beat any other team in the NHL. What JR and BB probably realize is that the roster is not built for heavy CUP play and will depend on Demko more than is reasonable. Playoff success with this roster is likely a far bigger gamble than a smart trade that strengthens the club for more serious play in the future.    

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

It would be an incredibly gutsy move by Rutherford to deal a Miller or Boeser in exchange for assets that could help the Canucks 1 or 2 years down the road. Moving players like that could kill any playoff hopes. As much as fans rationalize a methodical build toward serious playoff contention the reality is that fandom supercedes rationalism. That is why I dwell on goodwill capital. If Rutherford makes such a move does the Canuck community support it? On a good night we know the offensive talent in this group can beat any other team in the NHL. What JR and BB probably realize is that the roster is not built for heavy CUP play and will depend on Demko more than is reasonable. Playoff success with this roster is likely a far bigger gamble than a smart trade that strengthens the club for more serious play in the future.    

I think a lot of people would support it, but I think some of that support would depend on where we are in the standings. I do think a lot of folks would support it though, starting out Rutherford's going to get the benefit of the doubt and if the return is respectable and fair I think a lot of folks would accept it. It'd also depend on how they sell it, and how the media tries to spin it. 

There are always going to be those who disagree with moves, just one of those things. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I think a lot of people would support it, but I think some of that support would depend on where we are in the standings. I do think a lot of folks would support it though, starting out Rutherford's going to get the benefit of the doubt and if the return is respectable and fair I think a lot of folks would accept it. It'd also depend on how they sell it, and how the media tries to spin it. 

There are always going to be those who disagree with moves, just one of those things. 

I see a long window beginning in 2-4 years if we address needs and draft well and not a 3-4 year window right now, especially when we haven't proven that we're a consistent playoff team with this core already.

Anyone we trade we'd have to allocate their cap into addressing the defense(via in the trade or in free agency) . Our D-core isn't getting any older and if we want a longer window of opportunity we're gonna have to improve in age and talent. Moving forward that's gonna be very hard to accomplish with our prospect pools bare at defense due to drafting forwards mostly with 1st/2nds we've had and having traded high picks under Benning.

In regards to who we could trade will probably ultimately be Miller or Boeser. I am fine with keeping Miller for sure if it's 5 years max, any more years after that I would have concerns. A 5 year deal would take Miller to 35 years old. We've already been tied down by a long-term contract before and already have a similar contract already with OEL. 

We have a lot of forward depth moving forward. Especially as Pod/Hog improve and this next draft is very forward heavy in the first round. Someone significant can go in the next 1-2 years.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I see a long window beginning in 2-4 years if we address needs and draft well and not a 3-4 year window right now, especially when we haven't proven that we're a consistent playoff team with this core already.

Anyone we trade we'd have to allocate their cap into addressing the defense(via in the trade or in free agency) . Our D-core isn't getting any older and if we want a longer window of opportunity we're gonna have to improve in age and talent. Moving forward that's gonna be very hard to accomplish with our prospect pools bare at defense due to drafting forwards mostly with 1st/2nds we've had and having traded high picks under Benning.

In regards to who we could trade will probably ultimately be Miller or Boeser. I am fine with keeping Miller for sure if it's 5 years max, any more years after that I would have concerns. A 5 year deal would take Miller to 35 years old. We've already been tied down by a long-term contract before and already have a similar contract already with OEL. 

We have a lot of forward depth moving forward. Especially as Pod/Hog improve and this next draft is very forward heavy in the first round. Someone significant can go in the next 1-2 years.

I agree with you on our window, I don't see this current lineup as a contender. And I'd def take a longer window over a shorter one, I think building around the youth is the way to go. Horvat and Boeser are young enough that they'll still be valuable contributors as the rest of our players peak, or theoretically peak. If Miller signs a shorter deal it could be fine depending on the dollar number but he's the piece I'd prefer to move. 

I agree with the defense, and our need to get better and younger there. We'll need ELC's going forward, and we should be concerned about what the next wave is going to look like. 

Pettersson, Hughes, Hoglander, and Podz are still young. Demko's young enough that he should be able to play at an elite level for a good while yet. Gotta draft well and continue to integrate homegrown talent, that'll be key to sustained success and juggling cap. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I have doubts about how some fans will react to this kind of move.  We have a remote chance at the playoffs and people just yell “well St. Louis did it!!” As rationale for why it is never a good idea to move assets out in season.

It is clearly the smart move though, and if Rutherford is true to his word and assesses the team until the end of January, our playoff situation should have crystallized a little more at that point.

The key is contract status.  Miller is the obvious move by the deadline as he would provide a huge haul of assets for the future likely including some blue chip young RHD and a high pick.

Boeser can decide to sign a contract extension now, if he wants to sign a long term extension but for less AAV than his qualifying offer you do that.  If he isn’t willing to do it before the deadline, then he should be trade bait too.

Horvat is kind of a question mark, you can’t extend him yet so do you trade him now or wait until you see if he is willing to extend early or not and then trade him during the summer if he isn’t willing to sign in the dotted line.

I think from what Rutherford has said, he recognizes the team needs some personnel moves to become really competitive.

• Cheers 3

15 hours ago, Provost said:

I have doubts about how some fans will react to this kind of move.  We have a remote chance at the playoffs and people just yell “well St. Louis did it!!” As rationale for why it is never a good idea to move assets out in season.

It is clearly the smart move though, and if Rutherford is true to his word and assesses the team until the end of January, our playoff situation should have crystallized a little more at that point.

The key is contract status.  Miller is the obvious move by the deadline as he would provide a huge haul of assets for the future likely including some blue chip young RHD and a high pick.

Boeser can decide to sign a contract extension now, if he wants to sign a long term extension but for less AAV than his qualifying offer you do that.  If he isn’t willing to do it before the deadline, then he should be trade bait too.

Horvat is kind of a question mark, you can’t extend him yet so do you trade him now or wait until you see if he is willing to extend early or not and then trade him during the summer if he isn’t willing to sign in the dotted line.

I think from what Rutherford has said, he recognizes the team needs some personnel moves to become really competitive.

I like how Rutherford isn't buying into the team being a playoff team and saying we still need a lot to improve on. I'm confident he'll turn some assets into great pieces for when we start competing for a cup.  Benning would look at the 6 game winning streak as this is our blues cup run year and start dishing out draft picks at the deadline.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, FijianCanuck said:

I like how Rutherford isn't buying into the team being a playoff team and saying we still need a lot to improve on. I'm confident he'll turn some assets into great pieces for when we start competing for a cup.  Benning would look at the 6 game winning streak as this is our blues cup run year and start dishing out draft picks at the deadline.

When did he say that?

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Not a good year to tank for a top pick.  Wright is an okay player, but not a star like Petey and Hughes.  Really, this draft is kind of bad.  Much like last year’s draft, where Geunther (not as good as Klim) was available at 9OA.

19 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Moving forward that's gonna be very hard to accomplish with our prospect pools bare at defense due to drafting forwards mostly with 1st/2nds we've had and having traded high picks under Benning.

We should be drafting around where Jiricek is ranked... *Fingers crossed*

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

We should be drafting around where Jiricek is ranked... *Fingers crossed*

yeah that sucked.

I'm also wondering if we'll have a chance at Geekie, I've seen him top 6 or 7 down to 15 on various rankings but seems like a good bet.

43 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Not a good year to tank for a top pick.  Wright is an okay player, but not a star like Petey and Hughes.  Really, this draft is kind of bad.  Much like last year’s draft, where Geunther (not as good as Klim) was available at 9OA.

this draft does have a lot of what we need tho, there are a number of RHD and a few C's with size. I don't mind us reaching a bit 2 or 3 spots for need a little bit, no one can say who's BPA after Wright with any certainty.