The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

10 minutes ago, T.Demko said:

Sure.  However it is mitigating that risk factor as much as possible when trading from a position with the proven commodity.

We should inquire and have a complete visibility of Byram's medical record, and also ensure we are getting the concussion risk discount on his price.  

We could take a chance on Byram, but for Miller, they can't use Byram as the centerpiece alone.  They would at least need to add equal value, even if that means a lesser pick is coming back to us, or we're adding on our end.

I liked fanucks idea of a conditional pick...

4 hours ago, Fanuck said:

If that's the way Allvin goes, and I'm not saying he is, there are ways to mitigate the risk somewhatA pick could be included that would be contingent on how many games Byram plays the following season - and there could also be picks contingent on the performance of Miller or how any team that acquires him does in the PO. 

But yeah, there's not doubt there'd be a high level of risk/reward with a trade like that. 

• Cheers 1

I wouldn't move Miller for Bryam. Don't get me wrong, Bryam could end up one hell of a player. Maybe even a legit Norris candidate, but the concussion issues do scare me, not to mention he's a LD, which is the side we're stronger on. Unlessbwe were to play someone on their off side or play one of Hughes, OEL or Bryam as a third pairing guy, it just doesn't make a lot of sense to use our best trade chip on him imho.

• Upvote 1

I would argue that Miller is one of the premier (modern) power forwards in the game today. If Canucks brass does decide to move him, it needs to be for a king's ransom!

Leadership, intensity, passion, finish. He has all the attributes of a champion and drives play on a mediocre team. On a contender, he could help push said team over the top. So those interetsed teams better be ready to pony up.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, coryberg said:

I liked fanucks idea of a conditional pick...

I dont mind this idea but it scares me to think our insurance pick is only based on a year assessment.  

I almost rather get full concussion discount plus another great young player or prospect like Newhook and we give them a pick if Byram reaches certain amount of games with us.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, T.Demko said:

I dont mind this idea but it scares me to think our insurance pick is only based on a year assessment.  

I almost rather get full concussion discount plus another great young player or prospect like Newhook and we give them a pick if Byram reaches certain amount of games with us.

F the Avs.  It's either Newhook and Byram and their first or they can take a flying *****.  They can again lose early in the playoffs because they are soft.  

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Alflives said:

F the Avs.  It's either Newhook and Byram and their first or they can take a flying *****.  They can again lose early in the playoffs because they are soft.  

Love your enthusiasm Alf.  I pray it comes true as it would be a hellofa day for Nucks Nation!

• Vintage 1

48 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

I would argue that Miller is one of the premier (modern) power forwards in the game today. If Canucks brass does decide to move him, it needs to be for a king's ransom!

Leadership, intensity, passion, finish. He has all the attributes of a champion and drives play on a mediocre team. On a contender, he could help push said team over the top. So those interetsed teams better be ready to pony up.

The problem is that none of the teams, it seems, are willing to give up a king’s ransom. So even if Miller is worth a king’s ransom, if teams aren’t giving that amount up, then I think Miller remains a Canuck. 

Would be the most Canuckian thing to happen, is for Miller to just walk into UFA, because management can’t get what they want. 

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think it would be hard for the Avs to part from Newhook. He’s probably in line to replace Kadri. 

23 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I think it would be hard for the Avs to part from Newhook. He’s probably in line to replace Kadri. 

Depends on how bad they want to win I guess....... their window isn't getting any shorter

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I wouldn't move Miller for Bryam. Don't get me wrong, Bryam could end up one hell of a player. Maybe even a legit Norris candidate, but the concussion issues do scare me, not to mention he's a LD, which is the side we're stronger on. Unlessbwe were to play someone on their off side or play one of Hughes, OEL or Bryam as a third pairing guy, it just doesn't make a lot of sense to use our best trade chip on him imho.

Colorado would be dumb to trade Bryam legit a elc like that is gold during these years for them

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Miller and Poolman (cap retained?) for Byram + 1st or 2nd?

Risky considering his youth and concussion history, I wouldn't touch it (would rather Schneider) if we're trading Miller. 

No to retaining salary on Poolman for any reason.  Let's not repeat the mistakes of Gillis and Benning and create long-term dead cap.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

57 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Is he going to be ready to replace Kadri as a HIGH level 2C as soon as next year though?

Miller could do that. Not so sure Newhook can. 

• Upvote 2

After all our concussion issues I have no idea why anyone would be considering Byram, at least as a major piece.

His next contracts probably can’t even be insured due to his history, just like Ferland.  If he ends up on LTIR you can’t trade away that dap hit to a bottom feeder as it costs them full salary still.

Byram for Garland maybe… that valances risk and reward a little 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

The problem is that none of the teams, it seems, are willing to give up a king’s ransom. So even if Miller is worth a king’s ransom, if teams aren’t giving that amount up, then I think Miller remains a Canuck. 

Would be the most Canuckian thing to happen, is for Miller to just walk into UFA, because management can’t get what they want. 

I am hopeful if we decide to hang onto Miller that he re-signs with us and that if we can't get that high price to move him, we move other roster players to ship out cap  and make some room (ie. Boeser, Myers, Dickinson, Poolman).

I like the fact there are lots of smart people in Canucks MGMT to mull over the options and build a team that will be a solid cup contender from top to bottom.

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Everyone thought Crosby’s career was over 10 years back and look at him now. Won a couple cups since then.

Concussions are tough but this guy is young and could still turn it around here. A risk for sure but isn’t every young player or prospect we’d be acquiring?Schneider is definitely not a sure thing either.

Big risk but even bigger reward. Be nice if there was another key piece there though. Like a Newhook or a Jost and/or a 1st.

Have him room with Juulson next year as he will be pushing for spot. Both have serious injury histories.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, T.Demko said:

Sure.  However it is mitigating that risk factor as much as possible when trading from a position with the proven commodity.

We should inquire and have a complete visibility of Byram's medical record, and also ensure we are getting the concussion risk discount on his price.  

We could take a chance on Byram, but for Miller, they can't use Byram as the centerpiece alone.  They would at least need to add equal value, even if that means a lesser pick is coming back to us, or we're adding on our end.

Need to add Newhook