The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

19 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

This would be crazy if it happened. 

But management would have to also out bid other NHL teams that want to sign Forsberg. What advantage do we have, that no other team would/could have over us?

Swedish Manager?

EP40?

Sedins?

:P

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

This would be crazy if it happened. 

But management would have to also out bid other NHL teams that want to sign Forsberg. What advantage do we have, that no other team would/could have over us?

Oh yeah theres very little if any chance. 

IF we had an advantage its that we're one of a handful of "desirable" places to live that wouldn't be fully up against the cap (moving miller would make some space). 

And acquiring miller would be easier for a contender b/c they get 1 more year of cost controlled production vs paying nearly double for Forsberg right now. 

But I'm really reaching. There will be a lot of teams bending over backwards to try to get forsberg if Nashville is stupid enough to let him walk. 

26 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Oh yeah theres very little if any chance. 

IF we had an advantage its that we're one of a handful of "desirable" places to live that wouldn't be fully up against the cap (moving miller would make some space). 

And acquiring miller would be easier for a contender b/c they get 1 more year of cost controlled production vs paying nearly double for Forsberg right now. 

But I'm really reaching. There will be a lot of teams bending over backwards to try to get forsberg if Nashville is stupid enough to let him walk. 

Trading Miller for grade A ransom and then signing Forsberg is too much of a fantasy unfortunately. Love for it to happen though. 

If it did happened we'd be in a very good position. Probably have to clear more cap still though.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Trading Miller for grade A ransom and then signing Forsberg is too much of a fantasy unfortunately. Love for it to happen though. 

If it did happened we'd be in a very good position. Probably have to clear more cap still though.

Quite a bit more cap - Forsberg's cap projection per Evolving-hockey.   

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, mll said:

Quite a bit more cap - Forsberg's cap projection per Evolving-hockey.   

Seems like a tad bit much for all those players IMO but not too far off from what I expect. Nevertheless yeah we'd have to clear cap separate in that sort of trade Miller/sign Forsberg scenario. We'd have to try and clear cap as is if we want to extend Miller.  I expect Forsberg to re-sign in Nashville anyway, he stated his goal is to come back there.

Evolving-Hockey have any predictions for Miller's next contract?

13 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

And the future looks bright. This core has all the right elements, tweak the supporting cast.

13 hours ago, Coconuts said:

And he'll be traded sooner than later if things don't work out at a number and term the Canucks like, it's not a keep Miller at all costs thing.

It'd be neat to take advantage of cap strapped teams, gotta free some up first though.

And it shouldn't be imo, I believe we're further away than closer. We've made the playoffs twice in nine seasons now and people wanna talk about contending? 

Most teams beat their head against the walls for years before breaking though, it's unlikely we waltz our way to a final over whatever's left of Miller's prime. 

Build around the youth, extend the window.

I trade him every day of the week if a suitable deal is available. Not for scraps, but I expect a good return will be abailable.

Yeah, we absolutely cannot afford to lose him for nothing.

You got it exactly right about being further away then closer. This team has pretty much been pure rubbish for the past 9 years. No where near contender status and not even in the same ball park. Our little push towards the end was cute and fun. We even got to enjoy a special season performance from JT Miller, and a couple rising stars. However that is a far, far cry from making and contending in the playoffs regularly against the likes of Colorado, St. Louis, Calgary, and soon to be Kings and Ducks. If we would have had BB all year we may have achieved a Nashville or Dallas type result. Dallas did alright but they're in no position to be signing Miller contracts either and seem resolved to letting their big free agent Klingberg go chase big bucks elsewhere.

I feel for guys like @bishopshodan because I want it bad too but simply wishing this team is close won't make it so. There aren't many short cuts in the NHL and this isn't one of them. I know it's hard to be patient after this long but that's the whole point. This team has to make the right moves for once instead of always chasing the Miller's for short term gain and fan approval. It's such an ugly cycle. Unfortunately it's a problem in the Canadian cities. The fans always want it now so it's easy to sell them on continual mediocrity.

P.S. What's up with the new emoticons? Not a big fan. They took away my favorite "Sedin" one. :sadno: And what is the Ukraine one supposed to mean, where would you use that? Okay, okay what's a step up from first world problems. lol Hopefully this war ends and they change that one into a Bruce there it is one.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1

16 hours ago, Me_ said:

That is one hell of a sh!tty idea there bud.

Why don’t you concentrate on the Abbotsford Canucks instead. There are a whole bunch of yougns over there.

There's actually not because Benning likes to give away 2nd rounders like candy. 

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

11.2 x 8 years for Tkachuk :shock:

Hahaha. Some players just don’t understand. Their case study is the Toronto Maple Leafs. Players that wanted their money. They’ve gotten it, but you know what they got in return? First round exits for 5 straight years. 

Kesler on the radio the other day was right. Take a discount to have the best chance at winning the cup. That 2011 team did not win, but they were pretty damn close to winning everything, and I’d say, during their time in Vancouver, they made good money, and after their time with the Canucks, they still made a pretty penny that would set them up for the rest of their lives. 

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

Hahaha. Some players just don’t understand. Their case study is the Toronto Maple Leafs. Players that wanted their money. They’ve gotten it, but you know what they got in return? First round exits for 5 straight years. 

Kesler on the radio the other day was right. Take a discount to have the best chance at winning the cup. That 2011 team did not win, but they were pretty damn close to winning everything, and I’d say, during their time in Vancouver, they made good money, and after their time with the Canucks, they still made a pretty penny that would set them up for the rest of their lives. 

I mean he had a great year, but holy crap thats a lot. 

But I hope they do sink 23 mil x 8 years into him an 'lil Jonny. 

17 hours ago, Alflives said:

If the first priority is to clear cap, how do we do that?  

Garland out for picks?

Miller for picks/prospects?

Let Boeser walk?

Here’s something to think about:

If we do not Re-sign our pending UFA’s, 

and remember that the Luongo **recapture fiasco is over (per capfriendly), 

“Regular roster” attrition helps us a bit this year.

Richardson   800k

Chaisson       750k

Hunt               800k

Halak.             1.5m

Sutter             1.125m

Luongo**          3.035,212m

Should be roughly 7 m available 

out of all of those players I’d like to see Chaisson back.

Perhaps still let Boeser Walk and/ or Qualify an offer to Luc Dubois for something the Jets can not handle.

His QO is : 6.7  (less than Boeser’s)

This also holds a “bird” in the hand if Miller Is moved before signing an extension.

as far as positioning , we have centers who can play wing,  they all rove, and check to a system or formula.

nothing wrong with an extra Center man playing wing.

Edited by SilentSam

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

Richardson   800k

Chaisson       750k

Hunt               800k

Halak.             1.5m

Perhaps still let Boeser Walk and/ or Qualify an offer to Luc Dubois for something the Jets can not handle.

This also holds a “bird” in the hand if Miller Is moved before signing an extension.

as far as positioning , we have centers who can play wing,  they all rove, and check to a system or formula.

Taking off those salaries is great. Now add back:

Halak 1.25M (bonuses)

Holtby 1.4M (buyout penalty increase)

Virtanen 450K (buyout penalty increase)

That's 3.1M right there. So if we let our UFAs go we really only gain ~3.5M and we still have to replace their roster spots. Even if only 3 of the 5 are replaced at league minimum (including Martin replacing Halak at 800K) that would be  2.25M.

So really we only have ~1.25M in increased cap space.

• Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Taking off those salaries is great. Now add back:

Halak 1.25M (bonuses)

Holtby 1.4M (buyout penalty increase)

Virtanen 450K (buyout penalty increase)

That's 3.1M right there. So if we let our UFAs go we really only gain ~3.5M and we still have to replace their roster spots. Even if only 3 of the 5 are replaced at league minimum (including Martin replacing Halak at 800K) that would be  2.25M.

So really we only have ~1.25M in increased cap space.

I never took away Holtby or Virtannen off to put back..   they stay intact.

Halak had his bonus paid this year.

Martin is on a new contract.

I think your confusing it a bit.

7 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

You got it exactly right about being further away then closer. This team has pretty much been pure rubbish for the past 9 years. No where near contender status and not even in the same ball park. Our little push towards the end was cute and fun. We even got to enjoy a special season performance from JT Miller, and a couple rising stars. However that is a far, far cry from making and contending in the playoffs regularly against the likes of Colorado, St. Louis, Calgary, and soon to be Kings and Ducks. If we would have had BB all year we may have achieved a Nashville or Dallas type result. Dallas did alright but they're in no position to be signing Miller contracts either and seem resolved to letting their big free agent Klingberg go chase big bucks elsewhere.

I feel for guys like @bishopshodan because I want it bad too but simply wishing this team is close won't make it so. There aren't many short cuts in the NHL and this isn't one of them. I know it's hard to be patient after this long but that's the whole point. This team has to make the right moves for once instead of always chasing the Miller's for short term gain and fan approval. It's such an ugly cycle. Unfortunately it's a problem in the Canadian cities. The fans always want it now so it's easy to sell them on continual mediocrity.

P.S. What's up with the new emoticons? Not a big fan. They took away my favorite "Sedin" one. :sadno: And what is the Ukraine one supposed to mean, where would you use that? Okay, okay what's a step up from first world problems. lol Hopefully this war ends and they change that one into a Bruce there it is one.

Oh don't feel too bad for me.

I don't think I am simply wishing. I think we are closer than you apparently do. It's ok. 

We'll see what happens. If we trade Miller and the return doesn't give us the flexibility and/or impact we need then i will be able to toot my horn and grumble at the move.

If we keep him and we stink it up, you get to toot.

There are many ways to skin a cat and there are more decisions and tweaks aside from Miller. But I point out that player a lot because he is so very much what a lot of Nucks fans have dreamed of. A top line centre that can play in all situations combined with a great leader that produces points like a machine. Gotta make sure its a kings ransom for a return if we move him. He is a very rare breed to acquire. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

The biggest concern people should have with Miller is coming to a decision on to whether or not we’re re-signing him or trading him. 

We can’t let this decision linger on too long. It gradually puts us in a worst position. 

There’s no certainty in either decision, but there’s certainty in making a decision. It’s a big domino that needs to drop before a lot of others can. 

• Cheers 1

58 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I know we paid Halak his bonus, but I'm pretty sure since we were using LTIR we couldn't put it on the the salary cap this year and it affects next year instead. I could be wrong, but I haven't seen anything that said we were able to fit it in this year.

Holtby's and Virtanen's buyout penalties were only 500K and 50K this year but go up to 1.9M and 500K next year respectively. That's an increase of 1.85M in cap hit next year.

You're right, I accidentally used Martin's NHL salary from his contract from this year. Next year his cap hit is 762K which still has to be factored in since he wasn't an NHL roster player last year (just injury call up).

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Richardson   800k

Chaisson       750k

Hunt               800k

Halak.             1.5m

Chiasson rocked this year.

Good game to Him.

The new Motte.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Halak's bonus is entirely carried over into next season.  Teams in LTIR can't bank cap space so they don't have any end of season cap space to pay out their bonuses.  

NYI were able to move Boychuk's LTIR contract in early November which allowed them to bank cap space to cover a portion of their bonuses.  

• Cheers 3

8 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

The biggest concern people should have with Miller is coming to a decision on to whether or not we’re re-signing him or trading him. 

We can’t let this decision linger on too long. It gradually puts us in a worst position. 

There’s no certainty in either decision, but there’s certainty in making a decision. It’s a big domino that needs to drop before a lot of others can. 

Whatever happens, I think it happens during this offseason. From the Canucks perspective, his value will never be higher than it is right now in a trade, and we can't afford to let him walk to free agency. From Miller's perspective, he can't bank on having another season like the one he just had next season. If he wants to cash in, it's in his best interest to sign now, unless he really wants to leave. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1