The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

I think that if Miller is still unsigned by the deadline, I could see a team like Carolina make a push. Especially if we retain salary. Miller would be a fantastic add to an already great team. His versatility, high end skill and overall compete could draw a big return. The East has a plethora of teams that have a legit shot at a long run. Aside from Carolina, the following teams could be in the hunt and would drool over the chance to get a player of Miller's calibre, even if for just 1 playoff race, if it means that addition could give them an edge over their competition.

Fla, NYR, Pit, Wash, Tor are all teams that are close. I think having JT in TOR or NYR would have been huge for their teams against TB.

I am not worried one bit if this drags on to this seasons TDL. We will have many suitors. I haven't even considered the teams out West. We will have options. Patience, patience, patience.

I am in the camp who prefers to retain JT at a team friendly deal. Something like 9x6 or 8.5x8.

• Cheers 2

19 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

I’d rather have Miller for a playoff run than the quantity of “B” assets that are being offered up.

If the return on Miller is going to be even less this upcoming TDL . I’d rather keep him (if we’re in a playoff spot) and just let  him walk at the end of the year.

I'd prefer they win a cup obviously.

If no cup, anything is better than walking.

12 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

So you hold no value in a playoff run with your top player? 

Not in the bigger picture I dont.  Most likely you'd be looking at a first round exit......how do you think Calgary feels about it?

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, KirkSave said:

I think that if Miller is still unsigned by the deadline, I could see a team like Carolina make a push. Especially if we retain salary. Miller would be a fantastic add to an already great team. His versatility, high end skill and overall compete could draw a big return. The East has a plethora of teams that have a legit shot at a long run. Aside from Carolina, the following teams could be in the hunt and would drool over the chance to get a player of Miller's calibre, even if for just 1 playoff race, if it means that addition could give them an edge over their competition.

Fla, NYR, Pit, Wash, Tor are all teams that are close. I think having JT in TOR or NYR would have been huge for their teams against TB.

I am not worried one bit if this drags on to this seasons TDL. We will have many suitors. I haven't even considered the teams out West. We will have options. Patience, patience, patience.

I am in the camp who prefers to retain JT at a team friendly deal. Something like 9x6 or 8.5x8.

giphy.gif

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, KirkSave said:

I’m sure Carolina would love to have Miller.

what do you propose the Hurricane’s  should cough up to acquire him?

56 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol the most you'd get out of Miller is a first and some prospect.. they ain't giving u morrows or necas for maybe a round or 2 of miller

Morrow is a prospect. Necas is a now $3m F that has been overtaken by Jarvis and doesn't really have a spot in their top 6. Daily face-off has him on 4th line RW.

He's cap coming back, with youth and upside.

I'd also have interest in Drury, Seeley and Heimosalmi.

Ditto @steviewonder20

Edited by aGENT

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Morrow is a prospect. Necas is a now $3m F that has been overtaken by Jarvis and doesn't really have a spot in their top 6. Daily face-off has him on 4th line RW.

He's cap coming back, with youth and upside.

I'd also have interest in Drury, Seeley and Heimosalmi.

Ditto @steviewonder20

I highly doubt Necas will be playing on the 4th line. He put up 40 points in a middle six role. There’s no reason for them to given up on him when he’s still relatively young, with loads of talent. 

Daily faceoff currently has Kotkaniemi as their 2nd line centre, when realistically he should be playing in the bottom 6. Necas will probably take over the void left by Trocheck, centering the second line.

Teravainen - Aho - Jarvis

Svechnikov - Necas - Kase

Kotkaniemi - Staal - Fast

15 minutes ago, shiznak said:

I highly doubt Necas will be playing on the 4th line. He put up 40 points in a middle six role. There’s no reason for them to given up on him when he’s still relatively young, with loads of talent. 

Daily faceoff currently has Kotkaniemi as their 2nd line centre, when realistically he should be playing in the bottom 6. Necas will probably take over the void left by Trocheck, centering the second line.

Teravainen - Aho - Jarvis

Svechnikov - Necas - Kase

Kotkaniemi - Staal - Fast

Maybe. He's been playing wing there mostly though iirc, so we'll see if he ends up playing C, or in the top 6. I don't think either is a shoe in. Either way, let's not try to pretend he's the sun moon and stars like the other posters seem to think. He's fast, young and has promise still. Similar to Chytil with the Rangers.

And do you feel Miller isn't a major upgrade for them there?

23 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Maybe. He's been playing wing there mostly though iirc, so we'll see if he ends up playing C, or in the top 6. I don't think either is a shoe in. Either way, let's not try to pretend he's the sun moon and stars like the other posters seem to think. He's fast, young and has promise still. Similar to Chytil with the Rangers.

And do you feel Miller isn't a major upgrade for them there?

He played center, but Trocheck took most of the draws. Similar to what Miller does when he plays with Petey.

Ideally yeah, Miller would be a good fit for them, if they can’t trust Necas on the dot, but I think they’ll just play it out as it is for now. If anything, they probably would rather trade Kotkaniemi than Necas, imo.

Forget Carolina, don't like Necas as he is redundant to what we have on RW and he's not really a centre and cannot play defence, so he could never be a 3C.

The team to trade with is Columbus.  Kent Johnson is the guy I want and Adam Boqvist is the other player I want.  Throw in the 1st round pick and it's a done deal.

The name of the game now is speed and skill and Johnson and Boqvist have plenty of speed and skill.  Nothing better for Vancouver than to trade for a local Vancouver boy and a Swedish boy as well.  

Miller fits perfectly into the Columbus lineup as their 1C.  With Jenner and Sillinger as the other centres and with Gaudreau, Laine and Voracek on the wings they will have plenty of firepower up front.  They have the cap space as well to re-sign Miller as Nyquist will be off the books next year and then Voracek the year after that.  

Johnson and Boqvist do not address our two biggest needs for a 3C and a top RHD partner for Hughes, but at least we get two high end A prospects that can grow with our young core.  I don't think we will get a better offer than this for Miller.  Pull the trigger JR...

• Cheers 2

31 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Forget Carolina, don't like Necas as he is redundant to what we have on RW and he's not really a centre and cannot play defence, so he could never be a 3C.

The team to trade with is Columbus.  Kent Johnson is the guy I want and Adam Boqvist is the other player I want.  Throw in the 1st round pick and it's a done deal.

The name of the game now is speed and skill and Johnson and Boqvist have plenty of speed and skill.  Nothing better for Vancouver than to trade for a local Vancouver boy and a Swedish boy as well.  

Miller fits perfectly into the Columbus lineup as their 1C.  With Jenner and Sillinger as the other centres and with Gaudreau, Laine and Voracek on the wings they will have plenty of firepower up front.  They have the cap space as well to re-sign Miller as Nyquist will be off the books next year and then Voracek the year after that.  

Johnson and Boqvist do not address our two biggest needs for a 3C and a top RHD partner for Hughes, but at least we get two high end A prospects that can grow with our young core.  I don't think we will get a better offer than this for Miller.  Pull the trigger JR...

I wanted the Canucks to take Johnson, but Columbus got him before Van could even get a chance to draft him. 

Kent Johnson is a good prospect. Is he worth Miller? I think so as well. But I doubt that the Jackets make that deal. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

what do you propose the Hurricane’s  should cough up to acquire him?

My targets would be Jarvis and Morrow.

Miller @ 50% retained for Jarvis & Morrow.  

Morrow fills an immediate organizational need in RHD, and Jarvis gives us both cap flexibility/team controlled contract (he's on ELC) plus the potential to shop one of our RW for a younger centerman which is another organizational need for us.

Some have dismissed Car as a trade partner but I think with the moves they made recently combined with the strength of other Eastern teams they may be highly motivated to add that piece to put them squarely in the conversation of legitimate contender beyond just the regular season. Retaining on Miller just makes it more tempting for Car and wouldn't be a burden for us whatsoever. 

• Cheers 1