The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

24 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Not disagreeing with anything you've stated r.e Calgary's window vs Canucks window.. but isn't it just a little bit frustrating that all our management groups have been saying our window is in 3-4 years, for 10 years now?

To a point yeah, but also have to consider how much turnover this org has had between roster, bench and front office in that time. Constant state of flux.

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

It is, but as noted by numerous people, they have a "win now" window for the next +/- 3, maybe 4 years, where it makes sense to sign those guys, for those deals. The back half won't be pretty, but they're rebuilding by then.

At that same point (the ugly, inefficient back half of those deals), our team and our key, core players should be at their absolute peaks, and closer to where Calgary is NOW. 

This is why it makes sense for them to sign these guys NOW, but not us. In 3-4, years, we can look at signing/trading for the 2025/26 versions of then, in their prime, Huberdeau/Kadri/Miller etc. It makes zero sense for the Canucks to do that NOW. We're simply not there as an organization. Management themselves has stated as much.

We could also make calculated assumptions, that we won't be there in four years too.   That's Demko's last year.  And QHs is up a year after that.   I don't disagree with this either, but find it a bit presumptuous that we will have a better shot in four years then we do right now.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

We’ll be fortunate if Miller signs a Kadri contract. 

He may ask for $50+m over 7-8. 

According to some posters, they believe Kadri contract ups the value of Miller to the tune of a $60M retirement contract.

20 minutes ago, IBatch said:

We could also make calculated assumptions, that we won't be there in four years too.   That's Demko's last year.  And QHs is up a year after that.   I don't disagree with this either, but find it a bit presumptuous that we will have a better shot in four years then we do right now.  

It’s more a calculated presumption based on where and what new/current mgmt has explained of their assessment and vision. 

That’s what it’s being based on. 

We only have communication like that to rely on so, sure it’s presumption, but it’s also the forecasted timeline relayed by the people running the show.

Therefore, that’s what you hold them accountable for and, as a fan, base expectation upon. 

Edited by RWJC

To me 2 years max ad we have good young talent just need a couple better Rd and a solid 3c.If we can get one in a Miller deal and trade a couple others like Pearson,poolman,dickenson and maybe a BB or Garland to fill the 3c we will be a playoff team.Cap space in two years will be there.Then we should be a contender.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, BPA said:

According to some posters, they believe Kadri contract ups the value of Miller to the tune of a $60M retirement contract.

I reckon it will be a retirement contract or close to it. 

However, $60m would be a bloody joke. 

I think the market for Miller is set by the Kadri contract. 

As a fan, I’d be ok with $7m x 7 years, no NTC, and with the cap expected to increase in the following years. 

6 hours ago, Shayster007 said:

To fill in for JT Canucks need to replace roughly a ppg. 

Kuzmenko would likely get powerplay 1 time if JT gets traded. He's good down low playmaking and has a decent shot, it makes sense. He's an unknown but if he's getting fed powerplay time it's fair to assume he picks up 15 and 15, at least. 

Ilya Mikheyev is a good player. He picked up 32 points last season in about 50 games. Safe to say he at least matches that. Another 30.

Podkolzin and Hoglander should both see increases in their quality of play over last year. Not sure by how much, but I think it's fair to assume they could each pick up the slack to fill in another 20 or so points.

These totals, in my opinion are pretty easy to obtain bench marks that would replace roughly 80 points with players we currently have in the lineup.

Yup, as long as the league lets all four of them play in Millers spot at the same time.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, AlphaNuck said:

Forgot Miller, how have we not moved Pearson, poolman or dickinson 

earth to Alvin 

No one wants a player without a sweetener. Even Pearson, who is good, can’t be traded. The NHL has never had so many teams handcuffed because of the flat Cap

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

No one wants a player without a sweetener. Even Pearson, who is good, can’t be traded. The NHL has never had so many teams handcuffed because of the flat Cap

I don’t get why this is so hard for people, even Monahan with only 1 year left needed a 1st added for literally nothing in return. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 1