The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

and face the avalanche? i want the team to keep winning too coz it's definitely funner to watch the team compete and win than to lose but for the better future of this team if a team offers a sufficient offer for Miller we need to make that move regardless of whether or not we are in the playoff race. if we keep everything status quo.. or even if we move a boeser.. does that bring us any closer to the likes of colorado tampa florida or carolina? i would love to see the canucks make the playoff and have a legitimate chance against the top dogs and not just a warm up for the top teams for their next round of the playoff. sure team can get hot for the playoffs.. but realistically.. do you see this current team beating Colorado and then Vegas and then whomever left maybe st louis or calgary and then say a tampa carolina or florida back to back to back to back in a 7 game series?

let's not look at how many points we are back of team such and such.. let's just look at the point projection for the playoff.. it's currently at around 95 points.. we need to win more than 2/3 of our remaining games just to hit that mark. highly unrealistic..

i'm not saying to trade away Miller no matter what this season.. but if there's a trade that's close to what we are looking for gotta pull the trigger.. if there isn't then hold on to him and see how the summer unfolds.

Unless there is an overpayment, not sure if it's worth trading Miller at the TDL.

I think whatever we can get from the Miller trade in the off season will still help us for the future. The point is to trade him rather than losing him for nothing. Waiting till summer lets us 1) compete for the playoffs no matter how unrealistic it may seem to make it at this point, 2) find out Miller's and Horvat's demands to explore potential for re-signing him and consider a possibility of a retool that includes Miller, and 3) Boeser's contract value will be set, providing more of a certainty with cap structure moving forward.

Honestly, making the playoffs this season is going to feel pretty sweet like it did in 2001 when we made it in the last game of the season with Harold Druken OT goal against the Kings (I remember it was the last game of the season but may be remembering it wrong). 

We will likely play the Avs again if we make it this year, just like in 2001. And even though we got swept by the Avs, every game in that series was real entertaining. I think games 1-3, we lost by 1 goal. And if we had a good goalie, we could've given the Avs some trouble in the first round that year.

Well, this time around, we have a great goalie. And unlike in 2001, the gap in talent is not as big as that time (where the Avs payroll was almost double ours and featured many hall of famers). 

Since the introduction of salary cap, I think we see more of these upsets because of the parity. And who is to say that we can't beat them? Playoffs are just super exciting in general whether you win the cup or not. 

I think we still go for the retool but it should be carefully thought out and planned for when we have more info available and that's the summer. 

Edited by khay
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Provost said:

Severson is a 23+ minute a night physical shut down guy. 

Severson is not very physical, his 51 hits would put him 11th on the canucks (5th on D). He is also nothing close to a shut down defenseman, a tire fire in his own zone with constant brain farts and a -131 during his career.

• Upvote 1

I get the distinct impression that teams around the league simply aren't willing to give up any A+ assets for Miller, which is what we would need to justify the trade. At this point I'm starting to lean towards resigning him, even if we know the contract is going to be ugly. Attaching a 1st to the second half of his ugly contract when the inevitable decline hits so we can move him might just have to be the price we pay for having a player of his caliber in our lineup for the foreseeable future.

Unless teams start upping their packages significantly, this is where I'm sitting right now.

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I get the distinct impression that teams around the league simply aren't willing to give up any A+ assets for Miller, which is what we would need to justify the trade. At this point I'm starting to lean towards resigning him, even if we know the contract is going to be ugly. Attaching a 1st to the second half of his ugly contract when the inevitable decline hits so we can move him might just have to be the price we pay for having a player of his caliber in our lineup for the foreseeable future.

Unless teams start upping their packages significantly, this is where I'm sitting right now.

problem is if he ends up at 9mil.. even if we attach a 1st when he declines in the 2nd half of his contract.. no one is going to bite.. and we going to have to end up buying it out if he really declines or tough it out if he's still servicable and hope the cap goes way up. how many players that is say 8.5mil+ that's declining on the tail end of a contract ended up with a team willing to take it for a 1st? i can't think of one.. 

and i still don't see Miller willing to re-sign in vancouver unless the team shows signs they are a contender.. but we still have too many bad contracts eating away at the cap to make the team into a contender. unless we pay him at or above market price of 8.5mil+ he can say all the right things about love to play in vancouver etc etc.. but really it means absolutely nothing until there's pen to paper.. every player is going to say that except the one feuding with the management and demanding trades.. i bet you every player on the current canucks roster will say i love to play in vancouver.. even the ones that are getting roasted like poolman and dickinson.. they ain't going to say nope i hate this place get me out of here.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

problem is if he ends up at 9mil.. even if we attach a 1st when he declines in the 2nd half of his contract.. no one is going to bite.. and we going to have to end up buying it out if he really declines or tough it out if he's still servicable and hope the cap goes way up. how many players that is say 8.5mil+ that's declining on the tail end of a contract ended up with a team willing to take it for a 1st? i can't think of one.. 

and i still don't see Miller willing to re-sign in vancouver unless the team shows signs they are a contender.. but we still have too many bad contracts eating away at the cap to make the team into a contender. unless we pay him at or above market price of 8.5mil+ he can say all the right things about love to play in vancouver etc etc.. but really it means absolutely nothing until there's pen to paper.. every player is going to say that except the one feuding with the management and demanding trades.. i bet you every player on the current canucks roster will say i love to play in vancouver.. even the ones that are getting roasted like poolman and dickinson.. they ain't going to say nope i hate this place get me out of here.

At this point I'm absolutely willing to bite the bullet and pay above market value and deal with the repercussions of his contract later on if that's what it takes to have a player of his caliber in our lineup for the foreseeable future. I don't imagine he's the type of player that will fall off a cliff in the second half of his contract. 

Point is that no teams are willing to give up significant assets. You don't just take what you can get for a player of Miller's caliber. And if he is still open to playing for a US team, there's nothing saying we can't still move him in the first couple years of his next contract. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

At this point I'm absolutely willing to bite the bullet and pay above market value and deal with the repercussions of his contract later on if that's what it takes to have a player of his caliber in our lineup for the foreseeable future. I don't imagine he's the type of player that will fall off a cliff in the second half of his contract. 

Point is that no teams are willing to give up significant assets. You don't just take what you can get for a player of Miller's caliber. And if he is still open to playing for a US team, there's nothing saying we can't still move him in the first couple years of his next contract. 

no one foresees themself as the type of player that falls off the cliff. that's why so many GM ended up signing those 7-8+ year contract into their late 30s.. i can't think of a contract that was signed until the player is 36-37 that turned out well for a team.. closest probably malkin signed till 35?? but even he struggled the last 3 season with injury... and those contracts usually have NMC for the first half and then a modified one in the 2nd half.. i don't see how u can move him if he signs a 9mil+ contract.. if he wants to move.. it's to a contending team.. what contending team will have 9mil+ cap space?? and i doubt we want to retain anything for years.. nor take back 9mil+ worth of cap dump that may or may not expire right away.

• Cheers 1

The Canucks are something like 17-7-5 under Bruce, good for around .650 hockey which would pretty much have us 1st or 2nd in the division. Of course if Bruce was in charge all season long and had a decent off-season to work with our guys, we'd maybe be consistently playing at that record.

I wonder then if Miller would want to re-sign here. A winning team who's winning twice as many games as they're losing chock full of young stars, a good coach and a fun city - what more do you really want? Bruce has taken this team from a Western conference bottom dweller to not just a playoff-worthy team but (if we were playing at this record all year long), pretty close to a contender.

I really hope management don't rush into any trades, especially after the most recent little streak we're on of something like 5-2-0, and especially after Petey has finally re-gained his scoring touch and we just embarassed the hottest team in the league. JR has rarely shown patience before but I hope management exercise it with this current squad because we're in a rapidly-changing progression from last in the division to top-3 and we may well get there.

Even if we don't, give Bruce and our new analytics/coaching staff a full off-season and see what they can do with this team and I bet Miller would rather stay because we could easily have a sudden playoff team/contender next season if we keep playing at 0.650 hockey.

8 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

no one foresees themself as the type of player that falls off the cliff. that's why so many GM ended up signing those 7-8+ year contract into their late 30s.. i can't think of a contract that was signed until the player is 36-37 that turned out well for a team.. closest probably malkin signed till 35?? but even he struggled the last 3 season with injury... and those contracts usually have NMC for the first half and then a modified one in the 2nd half.. i don't see how u can move him if he signs a 9mil+ contract.. if he wants to move.. it's to a contending team.. what contending team will have 9mil+ cap space?? and i doubt we want to retain anything for years.. nor take back 9mil+ worth of cap dump that may or may not expire right away.

Again, I'm willing to take the chance. If the returns being discussed by the folks at HF are a realistic indication of what his actual return will be, you absolutely resign him. Bluntly speaking, a return package of a low first, a B prospect and a third liner have a high possibility of ending up as nothing when all is said and done.

As far as a potential trade goes, there's nothing saying we can't move his cap hit and take back some short-term dead weight in order to make it work for the other team, similar to what we did with Arizona and OEL. Granted, we wouldn't want be the the position AZ is in, but the point is that extracting the maximum value from the situation may mean kicking the can down the road. Every other team interested seemingly has at least two or three "untouchable" prospects, and for a player of Miller's caliber, that is simply unacceptable.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Again, I'm willing to take the chance. If the returns being discussed by the folks at HF are a realistic indication of what his actual return will be, you absolutely resign him. Bluntly speaking, a return package of a low first, a B prospect and a third liner have a high possibility of ending up as nothing when all is said and done.

As far as a potential trade goes, there's nothing saying we can't move his cap hit and take back some short-term dead weight in order to make it work for the other team, similar to what we did with Arizona and OEL. Granted, we wouldn't want be the the position AZ is in, but the point is that extracting the maximum value from the situation may mean kicking the can down the road. Every other team interested seemingly has at least two or three "untouchable" prospects, and for a player of Miller's caliber, that is simply unacceptable.

HF is your source?

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

If we can sign him on a 7 year deal, we retool now and go for it in this 5 year window while Demko is on an incredible value deal.  By year 6 of his deal, it'd be easier to move him and retain as he'd only have 1 or 2 years left on his deal.

But who knows, what if he's like Pavelski and is productive in his mid 30s?

Edited by HKSR

9 minutes ago, HKSR said:

If we can sign him on a 7 year deal, we retool now and go for it in this 5 year window while Demko is on an incredible value deal.  By year 6 of his deal, it'd be easier to move him and retain as he'd only have 1 or 2 years left on his deal.

But who knows, what if he's like Pavelski and is productive in his mid 30s?

If we could keep Miller, what's the minimum he would take if the term was 8 years?  7.5?