The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

42 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Teams that are "ready to win now" and have " players in or nearing the end of their prime" will struggle to fit in 8 to 9 mil. Lots of rumors about the Rangers and they are looking for a veteran to lead. 

I guess we will see. Either way Miller should bring a big return or they will be resigning him. Something needs to give and I can't wait to see what direction they go.

If I was the GM I would try to lock down Miller and Bo. Move Petey and Boeser.

Definitely an intriguing angle. The big problem remains with 'try to lock down Miller'. He may simply not want to play in Van following next year but it's definitely an angle worth checking on.

35 minutes ago, aGENT said:

A veteran to lead those "kids" Trouba, Kreider, Panarin, Zib etc?

Rangers have cap space and they can either let Strome walk or move someone else (Kreider?) to retain Miller. A team looking to win, with a need for a gritty top 6 C, will find space to keep him.

Strome won't come cheap either, and they've been rumoured to have been interested in moving him in the past. Bring in Miller, take a crack at it, let Strome walk and retain Miller. Hell, they could bring in Miller and trade Strome to someone else if they really wanted. 

They're going to end up paying someone. 

• Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Nowhere in there did I say the word contender. You're not going to win any arguments with straw men.

This year, we're both less likely to make the playoffs, and in a different situation where that little mini window has closed and it's time to reload for the young core's window. The one where they're the main fixtures and not the complimentary kids on ELC's/bridge deals.

Well by no means would I label this as an argument, I'm not mad at all haha. You said that team had a legit chance to win a couple playoff rounds, well...winning two playoff rounds gets you to the western final...and if you're in the western final, one could say that's getting close enough to "contend" if you're one round away from the cup finals. Surely you could see how I misinterpreted your post. If you get to the western final and label that as not contending...well, that's just not logical.

Anyways, at mid season...and even near the end - nobody was predicting or assuming this team was going to do what it did is my point. When saying that team had a legit chance of winning playoff rounds, where are you getting that from? Because that was a complete surprise to almost everybody in the NHL and this fan base.

Edited by CJ44

1 minute ago, CJ44 said:

Well by no means would I label this as an argument, I'm not mad at all haha. You said that team had a legit chance to win a couple playoff rounds, well...winning two playoff rounds gets you to the western final...and if you're in the western final, one could say that's getting close enough to "contend" if you're one round away from the cup finals. Surely you could see how I misinterpreted your post. If you get to the western final and label that as not contending...well, that's just not logical.

Anyways, at mid season...and even near the end - nobody was predicting or assuming this team was going to do what it did is my point. 

They've been a bubble playoff capable team with potential to win a round or two for a few years now (though it obviously only worked out once, for numerous reasons). In no way, shape or form does that put them in the same realm as contending teams like Tampa, Carolina, Florida, Vegas, Colorado etc.

There's a vast world of difference between those two. Conflating them is just silly and a "you" problem, not a "me" problem.

• Like 1

Just now, aGENT said:

They've been a bubble playoff capable team with potential to win a round or two for a few years now (though it obviously only worked out once, for numerous reasons). In no way, shape or form does that put them in the same realm as contending teams like Tampa, Carolina, Florida, Vegas, Colorado etc.

There's a vast world of difference between those two. Conflating them is just silly and a "you" problem, not a "me" problem.

Well, I see your not going to actually answer any of my questions and turn this into a "you can't read or understand words properly" conversation so it's all good my friend - have a blessed day and Go Nucks. 

• Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, CJ44 said:

Well, I see your not going to actually answer any of my questions and turn this into a "you can't read or understand words properly" conversation so it's all good my friend - have a blessed day and Go Nucks. 

What questions? You never asked any questions. You misrepresented what I wrote (strawman) and made a bunch illogical claims from it.

Have a pasta filled day yourself.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, appleboy said:

Teams that are "ready to win now" and have " players in or nearing the end of their prime" will struggle to fit in 8 to 9 mil. Lots of rumors about the Rangers and they are looking for a veteran to lead. 

I guess we will see. Either way Miller should bring a big return or they will be resigning him. Something needs to give and I can't wait to see what direction they go.

If I was the GM I would try to lock down Miller and Bo. Move Petey and Boeser.

Secretly keep them in the dungeon at the rink ...it might just work...

15 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

I think Colorado NYR and Carolina if they want to get into the mix have the best blend of center and RHD prospects for our needs. Really these three teams get me excited about a trade. Then there’s the teams like Boston, Calgary, Minnesota and Winnipeg and I get scared because I’m not too thrilled with realistic trades coming back. A lot of interest is nice because it will turn into a 7 team bidding war. But deep down I hope it’s one of those first three teams.

If I am speaking to Colorado my ask starts with Byram and their 1st.  Miller and if they could add him, Kane would make them the unequivocal threat for a cup win.  Barring their goaltending of course which would still be suspect.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

my ask starts with Byram

The young fellow is currently dealing with concusion issues; I'd be very, very careful trading for him.

Real shame, as if he was, and could stay healthy, he is a heck of a good d man.

18 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

If I am speaking to Colorado my ask starts with Byram and their 1st.  Miller and if they could add him, Kane would make them the unequivocal threat for a cup win.  Barring their goaltending of course which would still be suspect.

Byram or Newhook yes that would be the ask. I thought a future top 6 Center was more of a need than a left handed dman. Also Byram concussion issues are worrisome but you’re right I’d take the risk if they were willing to deal him!

• Vintage 1

29 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Byram or Newhook yes that would be the ask. I thought a future top 6 Center was more of a need than a left handed dman. Also Byram concussion issues are worrisome but you’re right I’d take the risk if they were willing to deal him!

Love Newhook, he reminds me a lot of Point with his 2 way game, compete level, and offensive talent.  I'd definitely want a first added as well as a second if we're retaining salary.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Definitely an intriguing angle. The big problem remains with 'try to lock down Miller'. He may simply not want to play in Van following next year but it's definitely an angle worth checking on.

Yea. He might not, but he might. We simply, as fans, don’t know. 

I don’t even know if management knows. LOL 

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

That's what I mean by Canadian and Canuck fanbase/management. As much as your theory and hindsight is correct we were too attached to our current situation at the time. Which as you point out wasn't great in reality. I see your point but I also agree with @aGENT we were never realistically shopping these guys in the first place. We were consumed with rookies Petey, Boes, Hughes, and the teams hot start most people thought we were one or two moves away. Tofolli as am example. It would have been an extremely controversial move.

I'm really hoping the current circumstances, up and down season, and unclear future make it obvious that we're building for the future in this case.

Yeah, but Petey said this summer that he wants to play for organization that wins. We’re currently not that organization or team. 

So does he want out after this current contract is done? 

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

It’s funny that Colorado is so good, except for their goaltending. 

Who else in their prospects pool do they have that we would want? 

I know Makar is untouchable for them, or close to it. Byram isn’t a RHD, though, is he? And their 1st could be lower than NY’s. 

1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

Byram already has concussion issues at such a young age? 

Hmmm. I’d hesitate on that…

4 hours ago, JM_ said:

I think Rutherford is a crafty old dude too. Stating publicly that "Miller is our best forward" certainly doesn't downgrade his value any. 

And rightfully so... we are dealing from a position of strength, and have something others want. Milk it....

• Vintage 2

23 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

It’s funny that Colorado is so good, except for their goaltending. 

Who else in their prospects pool do they have that we would want? 

I know Makar is untouchable for them, or close to it. Byram isn’t a RHD, though, is he? And their 1st could be lower than NY’s. 

I really like Newhook.  Once he develops he has the shiftiness/agility to beat guys 1 on 1 like Hoagie. He’s got some tenacity/willingness to his game. A team with Hoagie/Klimo/Newhook and EP setting them up would be fun to watch.  

Byram is probably a tough ask.  McKeown could be a bottom pair RH defensemen.  I wonder if:

Newhook

McKeown

draft pick would be considered reasonable by COL

Edited by Angry Goose
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah, but Petey said this summer that he wants to play for organization that wins. We’re currently not that organization or team. 

So does he want out after this current contract is done? 

No. I think that's taken way out of context. Everyone want to play for a winning team. He didn't say trade me to one of 6 teams. Not to mention his current play and the fact that's 2.5 years away.

• Vintage 2

5 hours ago, Harold Drunken said:

Yep, I mean even a Canadian market...if you know you can't retain someone or re-sign them AND they have value you have to move them. You can't tell me nobody would have been interested in Tanev and Markstrom before or at the deadline?? Even for picks only, you simply cannot get nothing in return.  At a certain point during Marky's last season here they certainly would have made the decision that Demko was the guy moving forward? I can't imagine they waited until the off season to figure that out knowing Markstrom was on his last year. Markstrom was a hot commodity once he hit the market, that tells me there should have been some trade partners for him. My guess is Benning and the boys were stubborn on the return and team's didn't bite. A team with a thin prospect pool and lack of picks shouldn't of played their cards that way, picks and prospects are exactly what we needed. 

For me, we have one the the highest paid blue lines in the league and not near the top in performance. The re-tooling needs to start back there. We are second last in the league in goals from a defenseman but are top 5 in blue line spending. Demko deserves better. Something HAS to be done with Petey, he's looking better lately but still a far cry...I still see Bo as the captain for awhile, Miller will likely be moved but our back end and prospect pool needs immediate attention. 

Tanev and marky was kept because of bubble play offs... 

Demko only broke through during the play offs... before that a lot of CDC'ers wanted to keep Marky and trade Demko... Glad that didn't happen. The cost of this was to let go of Marky for free afterwards... Demko would have been snapped up by Seattle. 

Lets just look forward and hope it all ends well for us...

• Upvote 1