The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

39 minutes ago, stawns said:

I get that, but to replace a player in that role is going to cost just as much as it does for Myers, so they wouldn't be clearing cap space........that was my argument

Yeah its a good argument, either scenario definitely debatable. I agree though Myers shouldn't be a priority to move anyway unless they are looking to clear cap space only.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

Yeah its a good argument, either scenario definitely debatable. I agree though Myers shouldn't be a priority to move anyway unless they are looking to clear cap space only.

I'm not against a Myers move,but you don't do it until you have a replacement in place.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol we have 0 cap space to sign anything in free agency because we didn't move out any salary even if its' not miller. we literally have 2mil to sign minimum 2 4th liner.

I believe we have closer to $5-6m once LTIR is factored in FWIW. Should be plenty to sign some depth F's and a D like Lyubushkin.

We were never big game hunting this summer anyway. Secondary market, unsigned RFA's etc.

From there changes will have to come via trade. Ideally, once teams miss out/lose their UFA's, they'll come sniffing around guys like Miller and Myers and we can chip away at our cap, add some pieces, organizational depth etc.

But yes, the time to walk the walk is fast approaching.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 2

46 minutes ago, stawns said:

I get that, but to replace a player in that role is going to cost just as much as it does for Myers, so they wouldn't be clearing cap space........that was my argument

I'd rather have say Marino and Lyubushkin for the same cap hit as Myers (+ the displaced 8D) personally.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

31 minutes ago, Provost said:

That all sounds great… it sounded great several months ago as well.  Show it, don’t say it at this point.

I don’t see the cap space to sign a top 6 guy.  I don’t see any forwards traded out yet to fix our defence.  This should have all been done before free agency starts so that you know what you have to work with.

They still get the benefit of the doubt, but after the  Benning debacle for years… I want to see someone actually articulate and then execute a plan.  The current regime has done the first half but talk is cheap.

Also, it is horse crap about no pressure on the Miller front.  The leverage is less the longer it goes.  We are probably a bubble team next year, so there is a decent chance we won’t have another window to trade him.

I’m surprised that Rutherford publicly acknowledge that it would be stressful for them if Miller isn’t dealt with a month before the trade deadline. 

Lots of talk, but no movement (as of yet). I guess we’ll see in the next two weeks, if we’re headed to August, and Miller is still a Canuck, I would start being a little nervous about whether they could get a good deal for him, or whether they’re going to trade Miller for a loss. 

Would be the most Canuck thing to happen if we didn’t get the best package we could get. 

And that would be a massive FAIL on this current management group to not get done what was obvious from very early on what needed to get done. 

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, T.Demko said:

Historical average suggests Miller play would drop off from last year.  Certainly not to say it will be bad, but that he may not repeat or do better statistically.  A betting man would bet on under than over.  Just statistics.

That being said, of course JT could repeat his stellar performance or do better.  In that case, there is a high chance the team would be in a playoff spot / race, which means JT Miller trade value would be irrelevant as Canucks management would look to retain than sell Miller.

It'll take more than Miller equalling his career best to make the PO in my view. 

We'd also need another career year from Huggy, another MVP season from Demko, a backup goalie to actually win some games, no injuries to key guys for any length of time, EP to have a full season of production, Hogs/Pod/Bones to contribute,  Kuz to pan out, the new coaches to have a positive impact, and Boeser to bounce back.   If any combination of these don't happen we're almost surely a borderline wildcard team again in my view.   

We weren't good enough last season with Career seasons from Miller/Huggy/Demko and as of now we're essentially the same team.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

It'll take more than Miller equalling his career best to make the PO in my view. 

We'd also need another career year from Huggy, another MVP season from Demko, a backup goalie to actually win some games, no injuries to key guys for any length of time, EP to have a full season of production, Hogs/Pod/Bones to contribute,  Kuz to pan out, the new coaches to have a positive impact, and Boeser to bounce back.   If any combination of these don't happen we're almost surely a borderline wildcard team again in my view.   

We weren't good enough last season with Career seasons from Miller/Huggy/Demko and as of now we're essentially the same team.

We're in a good position to at least contend though:

Edmonton still lacks defence and goaltending, and relies on two guys for all of their offence, both of whom are locker room cancers.

Calgary is losing their best player and overachieved badly last year.  They also lack leadership and their top player has serious character issues

LA is on the rise, likely division champs

Vegas could rebound but their new coach is probably not a good fit there.

Anaheim is rebuilding, a few years away

San Jose is a mess

Seattle has nothing

The only group in there that likely makes the playoffs for sure is LA.  The rest of the division is up for grabs and could be even weaker this year.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

We're in a good position to at least contend though:

Edmonton still lacks defence and goaltending, and relies on two guys for all of their offence, both of whom are locker room cancers.

Calgary is losing their best player and overachieved badly last year.  They also lack leadership and their top player has serious character issues

LA is on the rise, likely division champs

Vegas could rebound but their new coach is probably not a good fit there.

Anaheim is rebuilding, a few years away

San Jose is a mess

Seattle has nothing

The only group in there that likely makes the playoffs for sure is LA.  The rest of the division is up for grabs and could be even weaker this year.

Fair to say our division isn’t looking great so far. Don’t think that puts us closer to a cup. 

• Haha 2

Rumour is that the NYR are going to go hard after Kadri. They would be better served to pick him up as a free agent and not have to unload top prospects, like we want coming back via a Miller trade. Hoping Kadri signs elsewhere for more money than the Rangers can stomach and we can then put the screws to them!!!!

If you want Miller then come and claim him!!!

Come At Claim Him Arwen GIF - Come At Claim Him Arwen LOTR - Discover &  Share GIFs

Edited by KirkSave

15 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

You aren't factoring in the Travis Green factor. Kuzmenko is almost certainly an upgrade.

Petey wasn't good for half the year. That won't happen again. 

Boeser couldn't be worse and there's no reason to think Hughes and Demko would regress   there both rising young players.

My concern is what this team would look like without JT. 

Mark my words if JT stays he's a 110 point player next year.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

Rumour is that the NYR are going to go hard after Kadri. They would be better served to pick him up as a free agent and not have to unload top prospects, like we want coming back via a Miller trade. Hoping Kadri signs elsewhere for more money than the Rangers can stomach and we can then put the screws to them!!!!

If you want Miller then come and claim him!!!

Come At Claim Him Arwen GIF - Come At Claim Him Arwen LOTR - Discover &  Share GIFs

I think the Rags are going pretty hard on PLD as well. 

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Pearson brings a ton to this team that other players dont.  

For sure.  He also played most of the season on either Bo's or Miller's line and has good chemistry with both of

them; something that has difficult to find for Bo over the years.  He may not score top 6 points, but his excellent

work along the boards and keeping the puck in the offensive end has supported his high scoring Cs very well. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

You aren't factoring in the Travis Green factor. Kuzmenko is almost certainly an upgrade.

Boeser couldn't be worse and there's no reason to think Hughes and Demko would regress   there both rising young players.

I’ll go with 86 pts

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

I did factor Greens effect on the team, but that's offset somewhat by the known factor that there was an unsustainable 'bump' in play under BB (JR acknowledged this several times), not to mention our 2nd half was against a lot of backup goalies on back-to-back games for the visiting teams.  I don't think people fully understand this and simply believe the team will play at and sustain a top 5 team level all season like they did after Christmas last season - this simply isn't likely given the team is essentially built exactly the same way it was last season more or less.

• Cheers 1