The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

10 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Personally, I don't think it's something we're making up. Management basically has two options: 1) Hold out on a trade until they get the return they want (which they've been doing), or 2) trade him for a return that isn't that great. The only other option is for a team to pony up a return that we're asking for, but I think that's the least likely to occur.

So if thats true, we can always move him for a not great return. So no real rush then. 

I suspect after watching the lil Jonny fiasco unfold, they are trying to get Bo locked down before making JT a serious offer. We can't be in Cowtowns situation and be in a position to lose two of our best players. 

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Welcome to Canada Jim!!!   :lol:

Well at least he confirmed one thing.  If JT Miller is not re-signed prior to the 2023 TDL he WILL be traded.  We aren't letting him walk for free.

Now Jim, the tricky part is what happens if the Canucks are firmly in a playoff spot, maybe even 1st or 2nd in their division?  Are you going to trade him then?  Will Aquilini allow you to trade your best player when you are clearly in a plyoff spot?

Like I said already, welcome to Vancouver Jim!!  Maybe retirement was a better option than coming to Vancouver...

Yup.  At the TDL our owner is a “wildcard”.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

So if thats true, we can always move him for a not great return. So no real rush then. 

I suspect after watching the lil Jonny fiasco unfold, they are trying to get Bo locked down before making JT a serious offer. We can't be in Cowtowns situation and be in a position to lose two of our best players. 

This is Bo’s home.  He’s got a house and his wife and kids are connected.  Bo wants to be here.  Miller and his wife have that kind of connection in Pittsburgh.  

• Cheers 2

20 minutes ago, JM_ said:

is that really true though? or is that something we're making up. When was the last time someone of Millers quality went for a crap return at a TDL?

This is what I keep saying, so many fans seem to think that we MUST trade him now for whatever we can get for him.

His value is the same, it's not diminishing, just our fans are HORRIBLE negotiators waiting to be taken advantage of in life .... ;)

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Hence the impatience of getting less and less of a return the longer this plays out. We were apparently offered Lundy, Chytil, and a 1st before, but imagine if we end up accepting less than that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Has any team in recent NHL history traded their best player at the trade deadline when they were in a playoff spot?

We are a little over cap when we factor Poolman (not sure if his concussion symptoms have gone away or if he will be LTIR) and Hoglander.

We will make a trade before the season starts that will shake up our defense a little. The only real question is who and when.

2 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Hence the impatience of getting less and less of a return the longer this plays out. We were apparently offered Lundy, Chytil, and a 1st before, but imagine if we end up accepting less than that.

But why would it be less at the next TDL? if anything it could be more, particularly if we retain 1/2 on Miller he can literally go to any contender. He'll likely be the top trade piece too. 

Some of you may think it's crazy, but I still really feel a deal of 

Miller, Myers for Dobson + 

Works for both teams. Isles are going in to a new building and want to win now. They have Pulock locked up long term and Mayfield most likely to resign. They want to win now. With the headlines being written Lou is under pretty strong scrutiny. We get our coveted young rhd, potential pick and a bit of cap flex to add to Hughes/OEL. They add a top line winger to play with Barzal and keep him happy. Myers plugs a hole for the isles. 

Although I think it's the wrong move for the isles. I can see them making a move not purely based on the future of the team.

Edited by KKnight
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I think his trade value actually goes up at next TDL (assuming he can maintain 1PPG+). Particularly with retention as an even more viable option at that point. Teams will know where they are in the standings and have more pressure to add to go on a run.

The problem is, it also comes with substantially more risk (injury, down season etc) as well as it being a major distraction all year.

Then there's the issue of trading one of our best players, in the midst of a (hopeful) playoff push, and the effect that has in the room.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

But why would it be less at the next TDL? if anything it could be more, particularly if we retain 1/2 on Miller he can literally go to any contender. He'll likely be the top trade piece too. 

Because teams also know that we'll be desperate to trade him.  At least that's the risk without a long list of teams lining up with cap space and prospects to burn.

Just now, NHL97OneTimer said:

Because teams also know that we'll be desperate to trade him.  At least that's the risk without a long list of teams lining up with cap space and prospects to burn.

So you think GMs are going to miss out on a key contention piece to try to beat JR down in a deal? he'll tell them to go pound sand and they should. 

We don't need to fire sale Miller, there will be a good market for him as a pure rental if it comes to that. 

• Cheers 1

JR didn't even discuss letting him walk as an option.  He was pretty clear.  JT signs the deal that the team wants or we get the best possible return for him.  

Aquaman isn't going to stop JR regardless of whether or not we're in a playoff spot.  He'll retire if he's meddled with.  It's one of the best parts about having JR.  He's doing the job because he wants to do it.  Ownership really has very little leverage over him.  

• Cheers 3

3 hours ago, Baratheon said:

JR didn't even discuss letting him walk as an option.  He was pretty clear.  JT signs the deal that the team wants or we get the best possible return for him.  

Aquaman isn't going to stop JR regardless of whether or not we're in a playoff spot.  He'll retire if he's meddled with.  It's one of the best parts about having JR.  He's doing the job because he wants to do it.  Ownership really has very little leverage over him.  

Can't wait for the season to start. All these rumors are just there to fill the air, a soap opera in need of drama.  JR and Co have a plan and I trust them to do the best for the team. 

Let's hope JT is focused and play just as well next season. If he slumps like EP, you are not getting much from him. 

Edited by Jaimito
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Miller + Dermott for Marino + Blueger  is almost a wash on cap. Yeah, they probably still have to dump Zucker to ice a team, but that's a seperate issue of theirs.

Send us back Pickering, a first (bonus points for either Poulin or Blomqvist) for getting the best player. Maybe offer up a Dickinson/Kapanen swap (or as a seperate deal) once they've dumped Zucker as well.

I don't know if the Pens would let go of Pickering, but I would be happy with Poulin instead.  I think they will

try to trade Kaps or let him walk. I don't think he fits their team, for whatever reason.  It will be a hard sell to

trade Zucker.  His career has taken a nose dive since moving to Pitts.  $5.5M:shock:

Kaps might be a good pickup for the Nucks, as he is at a career low in terms of value.  They could probably

sign him in the Dickinson range.  I don't think the Pens do a swap; especially considering D's 2yr term.  Maybe

some team will take him for a 4th rounder or something.

Podz  Pete  Brock

Kuzy   Bo   Mik       This top 6 is interchangeable/fluid

Pears?   Bluger   Gar? Kapanan(trade return?)

Dixie?    Lazar    Locks     ? might be traded/Hogs starts in Abby

Hughes    Marino

OEL    Myers?

Rath   Schenn

Burroughs            

Still need to upgrade bottom 6 and defence.  Pears, Garland and Myers (some and/or all) can be used in trades

for the upgrades.  I'm not sure where Hogs' fits in with this team, but he doesn't require waivers, so it is best

to give him time in Abby to see how he develops.

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Can't wait for the season to start. All these rumors are just there to fill the air, a soap opera in need of drama.  JR and Co have a plan and I trust they them to do the best for the team. 

Let's hope JT is focused and play just as well next season. If he slumps like EP, you are not getting much from him. 

That's another thing that I liked!  JR didn't gripe and moan about media and rumours. Our fanbase uses that as a scapegoat for things far too often.  He said he understands that it comes from an interest in the team and that's a good thing.