The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Pittsburgh Penguins | Nov. 24, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

37 minutes ago, Tiburon said:

Donnie just said that everyone is talking about a Miller v Horvat split in the dressing room but the thing they've heard is that it might be more of a situation where it's a Miller led veteran group that's fed up with the younger players on the team

Donnie & Dhali

I call BS on this for two reasons:

1. 99.9% of the time these so called journalists are simply making SH#$ up for ratings.

2. The younger guys are routinely outworking/outperforming the veterans so what do they have to be mad about.  Pods/Hogs/Demko for example haven't taken a single night off while numerous vets have been MIA on several nights. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, Tiburon said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/boestmode/status/1463940885771538441?s=21

Not sure how to embed the tweet, but...

Donnie just said that everyone is talking about a Miller v Horvat split in the dressing room but the thing they've heard is that it might be more of a situation where it's a Miller led veteran group that's fed up with the younger players on the team

Donnie & Dhali

If that's the case, JT is a tool. Other than EP,  the young guys have been bringing it. Other than when Green denotes youngsters for no reason whatsoever. 

52 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

That makes absolutely no sense. The veterans on the team are the ones struggling. It’s the new guys who are performing well of which Miller still pretty much is one. Even if they meant veterans as in age, that doesn’t make sense either given the positive play of Podkolzin and Höglander. The first scenario sounds more likely even though I love Bo. Regardless of whether or not that’s true and who is on which side if so, I’m on Miller’s side, whatever that may be.

Based on the language of the original post, if there is in fact a divide, then I wonder if it's more about Pettersson and Hughes rather than guys like Podkolzin and Hoglander.  Hughes has been playing alright overall (though he did take that terrible penalty the other night in retaliation).  Pettersson, however, has been terrible.  This is after they both held out and missed most of camp.  I could easily see that rubbing other teammates the wrong way, especially more senior ones.  When Boeser held out before 2019-2020, he still came back in time for most of that season's pre-season.

Edited by EternalCanuckFan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Hopefully, JB is having a moment of clarity cause all of the rumoured moves - only indicates a leadership group (including the Staff), that has no clue on what to do next.   

None of the rumoured moves have come from the Vancouver side. 

It's all been wishful thinking from the other teams. 

6 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Based on the language of the original post, if there is in fact a divide, then I wonder if it's more about Pettersson and Hughes rather than guys like Podkolzin and Hoglander.  Hughes has been playing alright overall (though he did take that terrible penalty the other night in retaliation).  Pettersson, however, has been terrible.  This is after they both held out and missed most of camp.  I could easily see that rubbing other teammates the wrong way, especially more senior ones.

I could see that being possible. Why though would they characterize that (if it ends up being the case) as a Miller led veteran split in the room with the younger guys. There’s other ways to say it’s Hughes and Pettersson without saying their names and saying younger guys. You can choose what words to use, so why choose to describe a situation like that if you know it’s true those two are the supposed problem? To me it sounds like made up bs to generate clicks from people who don’t look far past the tweet.

1 hour ago, mll said:

The league too.  17 PK goals against for Myers - 3 more than Lammikko.  OEL is tied 4th with Beagle and a few others at 11 goals against on the PK.

This analysis doesn't pass the eye test for me. 

Our forwards have been really bad on the PK. Until Motte came back, there was 0 pressure on the puck up top, and as Hirsch and Hansen have pointed out on multiple occasions (Rantanen goal being the one that sticks out the most), our forwards continually let the opposition get to the hashmarks and fire off uncontested shots. 

Then there's the whole issue of cross ice passes that usually go through forwards that have their sticks facing the wrong way. 

15 minutes ago, rekker said:

If that's the case, JT is a tool. Other than EP,  the young guys have been bringing it. Other than when Green denotes youngsters for no reason whatsoever. 

This begs the questions, who is he referring to as a youngster that are making mistakes and causing their lapses defensively

Podz- 20 YO- ill give him this one player that's pulling in 13-14 minutes

Hogz - 20 YO - + 3 tied for top forward and solid Corsi 

Hughes - 22 YO- +3 - yes he makes mistakes but no more than other D men such as Poolman / Myers. Except for lately his D play was vastly improved over last year

Lately everyone is guilty of poor decisions

That's it.

Saying Peteys a youngster when last year Mcdavid and Matthews were his age of 23 doesn't wash IMO

The rest of the team is 24+ which is entering their prime or in it right now

I don't feel he can use this anymore when very competitive teams have 20-22 YO performing well and being responsible.

Carolina and Colorado come to mind 

This is the new NHL with young players maturing faster then ever.

• Upvote 1

I mean there’s a good chance that Aquaman has reached out to potential GMs already and there’s not much interest…

If there’s any truth to the rumours that he’s contacted Tallon and Gillis it means he’s already worked his way quite far down the list.

2 hours ago, Angry Goose said:

Tanev is a really good player/person, and the Canucks miss him dearly but given his injury history, age and term of contract hardly anyone thought twice losing him to CGY.

Glad to see he is doing well in CGY and who knows, perhaps the change of scenery was to his benefit (for all we know he could have had injury riddled seasons if he stayed with the Canucks). Given with where the Canucks are at changes have to be made.  Perhaps some of the poor performers this year will play more to their potential after said changes. 

Hilarious really that all the folks that complained about the team getting too old and over paying for injured players, now cry over Tanev...

Tanev is a great player, who everyone liked.

Unfortunately he was often injured, maybe because of his playing style in Vancouver...

Wonder how many are the same people, who cried over Toffoli the talisman... they are awfully quiet just now.

There are some that seems to like to rewrite history regularly to fit their narrative... 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Based on the language of the original post, if there is in fact a divide, then I wonder if it's more about Pettersson and Hughes rather than guys like Podkolzin and Hoglander.  Hughes has been playing alright overall (though he did take that terrible penalty the other night in retaliation).  Pettersson, however, has been terrible.  This is after they both held out and missed most of camp.  I could easily see that rubbing other teammates the wrong way, especially more senior ones.  When Boeser held out before 2019-2020, he still came back in time for most of that season's pre-season.

Boeser also had a lot better of an excuse with his father's health.

• Vintage 1

The one thing I’m most worried about is that if these players continue to lose games, they will be psychologically damaged and lose the ability to get back to their previous form. Benning’s failure to fire the coach and bring in another good replacement has not only cost this year’s playoffs, but he has likely caused long term player damage. A culture of losing. We saw that in Edmonton and in Buffalo.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

The one thing I’m most worried about is that if these players continue to lose games, they will be psychologically damaged and lose the ability to get back to their previous form. Benning’s failure to fire the coach and bring in another good replacement has not only cost this year’s playoffs, but he has likely caused long term player damage. A culture of losing. We saw that in Edmonton and in Buffalo.  

I think that's inevitable if Green is allowed to finish the season.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Agreed.

If ownership/management can’t see this then they shouldn’t be running a team.

How much is a couple million dollars for a new coach really worth? Is it worth alienating and destroying the development of your players.

And that’s not even mentioning what youre doing to your fans.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Boeser also had a lot better of an excuse with his father's health.

Boeser also isn't like Pavel Bure, where he can go 'end to end' by himself.  He is a legit lethal NHL sniper but needs a decent center (like most non-playmaking wingers).  If Elias wasn't having such a subpar season, I firmly believe Boeser's numbers would be alot higher.  Bo isn't having a particularly great season either.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Vintage 1