The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

16 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

So first off, I agree we will have to move a forward to make the cap work. Moving Garland is probably the most cap beneficial move to make. Hoglander is basically Garland, just on an ELC. So if we ship Garland out with picks and prospects and we build an appealing enough package to land a top 4 RHD, its almost like we didnt lose Garland because Hoglander is an instant replacement within our system.  Moving Boeser and landing a top 4, leaves a bigger hole and is harder to fill that 25-30 pace that he scores at, within our system.  Look to replace the guy you are moving, within your own system. That what makes someone expendable, when you can replace them on a cheaper deal with your own guys, while addressing other organizational needs, such as a top 4RHD. 

Secondly, I believe our FWD depth IS sustainable, we now have guys with legit potential, developing right in our own backyard. Marinating in the minors for a couple years. Klim, Karlsson, McDonough, Hoglander, Lockwood.... Lind woulda still been here but we lost him to an expansion team. Kinda sucks because that woulda been another FWD in our system. in 8 years we managed to draft a very strong core, be thankful we have a team and not a bunch of prospects at this point in time, because we'd be in a perennial rebuild like the Coyotes have been and how long it too Buffalo. We're very fortunate to have not spent much time in the basement like a lot of teams have in the last 10-15 years rebuilding.

If we were to somehow magically land Dobson, he comes in at a 3 year cost controlled cap hit of 4mil. Whatever we ship out, will be greater than 4 mil, it will not be that hard to make that cap work if it was someone like Dobson (one can dream though)

We may have moved 2 1sts in the last 3 years, but NYI has moved 4 in the last 6, 3 in the last 3 years. They have sacrificed the future BIG TIME and their drafting record the years prior to that, dating back to 2009, do not back up those kind of moves. If you think our organizational depth is shallow, theres is 100ft on shore.

There is a difference between competing and contending. Islanders are very far from contending and much much closer to rebuilding, something they probably should have started slowly doing the past 3-4 years. Instead they have gone all in and inked a bunch of older players and given up a bunch of 1sts. They will be mediocre at best. Whats the point of competing if you arent going to contend? The whole point is to win a cup, not just compete and make games exciting for 82 games.

I find it odd that 2 years for NYI's pending UFA's is plenty of time for them, but 5 years for Vancouver and its youthful core is not enough? You're panicking already about things 5+ years down the road, but its no sweat for NYI who hasnt drafted anything in 4 years and only drafted and produced 2 NHLers in the last 6.

NYI's cap situation can resolve itself all it wants, they still lack youth and talent. Who is going to want to sign with a rebuilding bottom of the league team in a few years? No one. Other than guys looking to get paid and are UFA's which typically are 28+ so once again you ink guys just passing their prime to long term deals and in a few years they are dead weight and you're back in the same cycle you were years prior... Old...no youth... and dead weight.

Like really, look at NYI's roster... look at their drafting record.... Tell me who is going to take over for the vets that are holding a spot right now. They have no real trade chips aside from some of the younger guys on the team and Pageau. Other than that, its guys over 30 that wont fetch much. Similar to when Benning had to deal with Burrows, Bieksa, Hansen etc.... Guys that didnt hold a ton of value and shortly after being traded, their careers were done. 

Hoglander is a third year player who just struggled during his second year, he is not basically Garland. Though similar in stature their development is quite a ways off. Garland's last three seasons have roughly be 40 points or better and his ppg has improved over the last two. Garland went from 39 points in 68 games to 39 points in 49 games with Arizona prior to being traded her. Last season he put up 52 points in 77 games with much of his production happening 5v5 as he didn't feature much on the top powerplay unit (which eats up most of every powerplay for the most part). Could Hoglander get to where Garland is at or better? Sure, but right now it's a false equivalency. Garland was very good bang for his buck last season, especially 5v5. Injuries now open the door for Hoglander on the opening night roster but he's still gotta grab it, and even if he does there's no guarantee he doesn't see AHL time once players come back. He's still waiver exempt whereas other players on the roster are not.

If Garland can continue to produce like he did last season it's likely he'll be better bang for our back at nearly 5M than Boeser is at 6.5M, moving Boeser out also opens up more cap. Garland has also put up 22, 12, and 19 goals the last three seasons so if he can maintain close to 20 goals the drop off really isn't much. Boeser's put up 19, 23, and 23 goals over the same span. He's been closer to 20-25 than a 30 goal scorer most of his career. Garland has done similar work at a similar age, Boeser ain't young anymore, he's 25 and he'll be 26 in February. They're about a year apart. I'd argue Boeser is the more valuable trade chip as he's viewed as one of our stars and there are several teams who could use a complimentary scoring winger. 

I also don't see top six potential in the names you've mentioned besides Hoglander and Klimovich in: Karlsson, McDonough, and Lockwood. Karlsson could be interesting but I'd be surprised if he's more than a third liner, but I'd say McDonough projects more as a longshot despite being a good prospect for where he was drafted. Lockwood brings a lot of energy but looks more like a complimentary bottom six energy guy than anything resembling a top six forward. I'd say Klimovich has top six upside given his raw talent but he's still a very young, raw prospect and is further away than closer imo. They could all be NHL'ers but I only view Hoglander and Klimovich as having top six upside. Obviously Lekkerimaki is likely our top forward prospect now but at 18 he's likely at least a few years out at the earliest. 

I don't think much of our prospect system, I view it as being shallow with few high end prospects. Which isn't to say there aren't prospects with potential or that there aren't players who couldn't end up being NHL'ers. If you think differently good for you but I don't share your optimism. 

Yeah, we ain't magically landing Dobson, it'd require more than what we'd probably want to give up. You ain't getting Dobson for lottery tickets that might turn into a Dobson caliber player, middling prospects, and a 2nd line forward. They'd want a grade A piece+ going back off our roster. Think Pettersson or Hughes caliber not Horvat. The current Isles group doesn't have much star power up front but has a 40-60 point players who get it done by committee. The Isles were a very lunch pail group under Trotz, I imagine that's the identity they'll continue to go forward for at least the new future. They're a team that had success on the back of their defensive game. No, they're not a team that's going to blow you away but they're still for the most part the team that went to the conference final in 2019-2020 before losing to a juggernaut in Tampa over six games. One would have to think that both management and ownership think they can be competitive. 

Yes they've moved picks but I only really question two of those trades. Romanov ends up being is anyone's guess but he was always a well regarded prospect in Montreal. He's not nothing, that doesn't look like a bad trade to me. The 1st they traded for Palmeiri and Zajac (both with cap retained) wound up being the 29th overall pick, this trade also happened the season after they went to the conference final which adds a bit of context for their trying to go deep again. They paid a very high price for Paguau in 2020 with 1st, 2nd, and 3rd but that pick still wound up being 28th overall. He's a good player but I don't like that trade. The fourth 1st moved was for expansion draft reasons@Vegas, that's a rather unique scenario. I'm on the fence with that one. I only really like the Romanov trade but two of the others at least make sense. But again, I'm not a fan of moving 1st round picks. 

As for competing, they recently went to the conference final. Getting even to that point is hard. 16 teams make it every year, being in the mix can be worth it or all sorts of reasons. Better to have a culture of competing than what Buffalo, Arizona, or Jersey have had. Hell, most Canucks fans would take being in the playoff mix over what we've had most of the last ten seasons. Goal is the cup but you don't jump from A to Z. 

Even if the Isles trend down having the cap flexibility their current cap structure allows them to have going forward is what'll allow them to reset, my argument for the Isles is that their current top six forwards will be off the books sooner than later leaving the Isles with cap flexibility. They don't need to pay for it, if they're gonna bottom out and suffer I think they're more likely to just embrace it. I'm not looking at the same things for both teams as they aren't in the same scenario. The Canucks need to build up their next wave or risk having a talent gap as their current young forward age and their prime aged forwards trend towards their early to mid 30's. Having a few young stars and a bunch of prime aged forwards is great but if we neglect drafting and developing our own players we risk having a talent gap similar to the one Benning inherited to begin his tenure. If the idea is to have a long and sustainable window developing our own talent is a must. The Isles are in a place where the goal is likely to try and be competitive like they were prior to the Covid and injury plagued season that was last season, if they trend down they'll likely have to suffer for a while while building themselves back up like we did but at least they're currently not shackled to a bunch of long term contracts. Moving out top end youth like Dobson to try and fast track acquiring top end youth like Dobson makes zero sense for them. 

7 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

That is what JR commented on , He said they had good players but wasn't very well constructed He has the dilemma of how to untangle it and make it work, but you need other teams to want what you are offering and not give away the future either. The cap, new contracts (now/future), age players, player development (implementing ELC players with your Core) They have work to do and tough gutsy decisions to make

Yeah, he hasn't really been able to do much besides extend players so far. But he's in a damned if you do damned if you don't spot. He's got a roster that should be good enough to compete for the playoffs but probably not good enough to contend. He'd have much more flexibility if we hadn't gone on that second half tear tbh as we likely would have seen a couple top players shipped out. The plan when JR came in likely doesn't resemble what the plan is now. This is largely still the team that Benning built, if we miss the playoffs again this coming season with the same group I'd be surprised if we don't see changes. 

5 hours ago, EdgarM said:

I agree  we don't get much insight into what goes on behind closed doors but what we do see is the outcome and final product on the ice. We see from game to game and year to year, how the team performs. We see what every team member does as well. 

If we see big changes like the beginning of last season and then we see how near the end of the season, there was a big difference in team performance. What do you perceive as the reason for this drastic change? 

Yes coaching changes, but does the leadership on the team partly responsible too? Do they not have a role to play improving the teams performance? 

If its "just a letter on the jersey" then why put anything on their jersey then in the first place? Its like we don't want them to be responsible other then going to talk to the referees etc.

As I said, I guess my expectations are too high for them, my mistake. I remember great Captains who took their responsibilities a lot differently then todays "Leaders".

I think after cratering early last season the boys lost a lot of belief in themselves, they are human after all. I think bringing Green back was a mistake and that his approach had gotten stale, it cost us a season. And of course the leadership is responsible, but they were also just as responsible during that second half tear as they were during the dark days of September through November. 

It's possible they were, I can't answer that. All I know is that the team as a whole went through both the highs and lows like every other team does, leadership included. Miller, Hughes, Garland, and Demko thriving through the first half of last season wasn't enough to make the team better, the rest of the team was able to step up which lead to team as a whole turning things around. Leadership is important but captains and alternate captains are overhyped on what's always a roster of 20+ guys. It's a team game, while having a good leadership group is important it's not as simple as having a good leadership group. I'm sure there are several teams around the league that you'd describe as bad teams that have good leadership groups. 

Edited by Coconuts

18 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

Yea... thats if Dobson wants to stick around for a rebuild? by the time they start rebuilding, he'll be almost 24. Given how far behind on drafting talent they are and then the future of their drafting.... That could be 8-10 years of struggling. I dont think he'll want to stick around for 8 years of subpar hockey.

Edit: Barzal is due for a big payday next year... Do you see anyone around the league being able to afford him with the flat cap? Not likely. Pageau?? 29 and over the hump. Beauvillier??? Hes a 20 goal scorer at best. Do you think any of these guys are going to net you a big return? you think there is a shortage of 20 goal scorers in the league? Barzal's stats dont exactly jump off the page at me outside of his rookie year.

Teams aren't going to be lining up for 20 goal scorers, theres plenty around the league. What teams WILL line up for are RHD, there is a shortage. Unfortunately they may have to look at all their options and see Dobson as one of the guys that will accelerate the rebuild. They still have a pretty decent blueline. 

They need FWD's desperately, they are sort of in an okay position on the blueline. So if they can add a top 6  FWD plus a pick and a prospect, it goes a lot further for their future, than if they were to add picks and prospects for FWD's because they will have no one to hold a spot pretty soon. Guys will just get tossed into the line of fire and expected to play at an NHL level, right out of the draft. Could derail players potential.

A team like Boston if they want to keep player will do whatever they can to get a center like barzal.Pasternak will want a center and I cod see them with the ten plus mill trying to grab him.Other players on the he team then could be shipped out for a 2 year quick rebuild.Dobson would stay.To me thatus 

what the nyi need.Might not happen but is a possibility.

6 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Hoglander is a third year player who just struggled during his second year, he is not basically Garland. Though similar in stature their development is quite a ways off. Garland's last three seasons have roughly be 40 points or better and his ppg has improved over the last two. Garland went from 39 points in 68 games to 39 points in 49 games with Arizona prior to being traded her. Last season he put up 52 points in 77 games with much of his production happening 5v5 as he didn't feature much on the top powerplay unit (which eats up most of every powerplay for the most part). Could Hoglander get to where Garland is at or better? Sure, but right now it's a false equivalency. Garland was very good bang for his buck last season, especially 5v5. Injuries now open the door for Hoglander on the opening night roster but he's still gotta grab it, and even if he does there's no guarantee he doesn't see AHL time once players come back. He's still waiver exempt whereas other players on the roster are not.

If Garland can continue to produce like he did last season it's likely he'll be better bang for our back at nearly 5M than Boeser is at 6.5M, moving Boeser out also opens up more cap. Garland has also put up 22, 12, and 19 goals the last three seasons so if he can maintain close to 20 goals the drop off really isn't much. Boeser's put up 19, 23, and 23 goals over the same span. He's been closer to 20-25 than a 30 goal scorer most of his career. Garland has done similar work at a similar age, Boeser ain't young anymore, he's 25 and he'll be 26 in February. They're about a year apart. I'd argue Boeser is the more valuable trade chip as he's viewed as one of our stars and there are several teams who could use a complimentary scoring winger. 

I also don't see top six potential in the names you've mentioned besides Hoglander and Klimovich in: Karlsson, McDonough, and Lockwood. Karlsson could be interesting but I'd be surprised if he's more than a third liner, but I'd say McDonough projects more as a longshot despite being a good prospect for where he was drafted. Lockwood brings a lot of energy but looks more like a complimentary bottom six energy guy than anything resembling a top six forward. I'd say Klimovich has top six upside given his raw talent but he's still a very young, raw prospect and is further away than closer imo. They could all be NHL'ers but I only view Hoglander and Klimovich as having top six upside. Obviously Lekkerimaki is likely our top forward prospect now but at 18 he's likely at least a few years out at the earliest. 

I don't think much of our prospect system, I view it as being shallow with few high end prospects. Which isn't to say there aren't prospects with potential or that there aren't players who couldn't end up being NHL'ers. If you think differently good for you but I don't share your optimism. 

Yeah, we ain't magically landing Dobson, it'd require more than what we'd probably want to give up. You ain't getting Dobson for lottery tickets that might turn into a Dobson caliber player, middling prospects, and a 2nd line forward. They'd want a grade A piece+ going back off our roster. Think Pettersson or Hughes caliber not Horvat. The current Isles group doesn't have much star power up front but has a 40-60 point players who get it done by committee. The Isles were a very lunch pail group under Trotz, I imagine that's the identity they'll continue to go forward for at least the new future. They're a team that had success on the back of their defensive game. No, they're not a team that's going to blow you away but they're still for the most part the team that went to the conference final in 2019-2020 before losing to a juggernaut in Tampa over six games. One would have to think that both management and ownership think they can be competitive. 

Yes they've moved picks but I only really question two of those trades. Romanov ends up being is anyone's guess but he was always a well regarded prospect in Montreal. He's not nothing, that doesn't look like a bad trade to me. The 1st they traded for Palmeiri and Zajac (both with cap retained) wound up being the 29th overall pick, this trade also happened the season after they went to the conference final which adds a bit of context for their trying to go deep again. They paid a very high price for Paguau in 2020 with 1st, 2nd, and 3rd but that pick still wound up being 28th overall. He's a good player but I don't like that trade. The fourth 1st moved was for expansion draft reasons@Vegas, that's a rather unique scenario. I'm on the fence with that one. I only really like the Romanov trade but two of the others at least make sense. But again, I'm not a fan of moving 1st round picks. 

As for competing, they recently went to the conference final. Getting even to that point is hard. 16 teams make it every year, being in the mix can be worth it or all sorts of reasons. Better to have a culture of competing than what Buffalo, Arizona, or Jersey have had. Hell, most Canucks fans would take being in the playoff mix over what we've had most of the last ten seasons. Goal is the cup but you don't jump from A to Z. 

Even if the Isles trend down having the cap flexibility their current cap structure allows them to have going forward is what'll allow them to reset, my argument for the Isles is that their current top six forwards will be off the books sooner than later leaving the Isles with cap flexibility. They don't need to pay for it, if they're gonna bottom out and suffer I think they're more likely to just embrace it. I'm not looking at the same things for both teams as they aren't in the same scenario. The Canucks need to build up their next wave or risk having a talent gap as their current young forward age and their prime aged forwards trend towards their early to mid 30's. Having a few young stars and a bunch of prime aged forwards is great but if we neglect drafting and developing our own players we risk having a talent gap similar to the one Benning inherited to begin his tenure. If the idea is to have a long and sustainable window developing our own talent is a must. The Isles are in a place where the goal is likely to try and be competitive like they were prior to the Covid and injury plagued season that was last season, if they trend down they'll likely have to suffer for a while while building themselves back up like we did but at least they're currently not shackled to a bunch of long term contracts. Moving out top end youth like Dobson to try and fast track acquiring top end youth like Dobson makes zero sense for them. 

Bolded

Hoglander is a 3rd year player, 22 years old. Garland was 22 turning 23 when he finally got a chance to play, IN F***ING ARIZONA DUDE. He was drafted in 2015, was sent back to THE QMJHL, not even the AHL or ECHL, but back to where kids were playing. He then spent 2.5 seasons in the AHL, where he wasnt really impressive until his 3rd stint in the AHL, which got him a shot with the big club. So far Hoglander has already achieved more in terms of what they were doing at the same ages. Hoglander made an NHL team, Garland was back in the Q and then struggled in the AHL. BUT that is what a few years developing does for a player. Both are small, skilled forwards who have a decent hockey IQ. Hoglander probably has a harder shot and definitely better hands/creativity. Both are very good in corners and seem to win puck battles. There are far more similarities with Garland and Hoglander in our system than Hoglander with anyone else on the roster.

Also, over 25% of Garlands points came on the PP in his 39 point seasons in ARZ. Garland is also 4 years older and more  physically developed and had more experience at the NHL level than Hoglander, which gives him a major advantage. 

And here's the thing, IF Hoglander proves he deserves a spot.... Sure he can go to the AHL because he is waiver exempt, but he'll be pushing for a spot....who do you think he is most likely to replace? Mikheyev? Podz? Petey? Pearson? Horvat? Kuzmenko?.... You think he replaces Boeser or Garland? My money is on Garland, I would put all my chips on Garland being the guy he replaces, which I will detail for why, you very shortly. 

Okay, now...

If Garland continues to produce at this rate, his value increases, right? What team will want to take a 6.65mil player who offers "20-25 goals" as you calculated... Over a 20 goal scorer at >5mil? That would mean Garland is more likely to fit into someones cap structure being nearly 2mil less and providing "the same production" as Boeser.

Now lets actually take a look at Boeser's "20-25goals". You are looking strictly at numbers and not calculations. 16, 23, 23 etc.... but....

How to calculate a players pace is goals divided by games played and then multiplied by a full season, that gives you the pace that they score at and the reality of their potential.

121/324 = .3735 x 82 = 30.6. Boeser is closer to a 35 goal pace through his entire career, than he is a 25 goal pace. 

Now for Garland 66/241 = .274 x 82 = 22.45 - Garland is literally in the middle of 20-25 goals. Sure a lot of that is 5v5, Garland does not possess a onetimer like Boeser, which is what the whole PP is all about, setting up a one-timer to beat the goalie on a side to side play. Which is why Boeser gets more PP time. Boeser still averages 20 5v5 goals in an 82 game season.

Yes Boeser is probably the bigger trade chip, but value wise, I would argue that Garlands 5v5 production and his cap hit has pretty decent value. Which I firmly believe his production CAN be replaced by Hoglander. He would average 16 goals and 16 assists in a regular 82 game season as it stands right now. Which isn't far off of Garland at all.

IDK if you know about www.hockey-reference.com  and naturalstattrick.com there's a lot to check out and discover on these sites, but you should check it out. I use them quite a bit when researching players and finding out what kind of impact they have. 

Now for Karlsson, Klim, Lockwood etc... some of the guys coming up now... You may not see much potential currently, however.... We are finally are in a place to allow players to develop in the minors, while our young core begins to take off at the NHL level. Our window is opening and its only just beginning. You remember Pittsburgh's cup runs a handful of years ago? Two guys that made HUGE impacts and were quite vital/key in PIT's back to back cups.

Bryan Rust and Jake Guentzel, I'm going to leave Murray out of this for now, because he was also very vital. However Guentzel and Rust took several years in the minors to develop and were called up at the perfect time and made impacts on cheap deals because PIT was fortunate enough to keep guys in the minors. 

Guentzel was drafted in 2013, he spent 3 years in College from 2013-2016, he then had a stint in the AHL after college in 2015-16 and then played half a season in the AHL the following year before getting called up mid season with the big club and he went on an absolute tear and was key in their back to back cup wins. 

Rust was also another "long shot" drafted in 2010 and didnt get a shot in the NHL until a very brief stint in 2014-15. He went back to the minors the following season for half a season and then got called up with Guentzel and as you already know PIT won the cup that year. He contributed 6 goals in the first cup run and then 7 the following.

NYI may have been to the conference final, but it wasnt a very impressive run and that was 3 years ago... They are 3 years older now... You know who has been to the cup finals? SJS, DAL, MTL.... Some of these teams missed the playoffs the next year. And those teams aren't that impressive and arent looking too good coming up either.

Once again, what does cap flexibility do, if you're the bottom of the barrel within a couple years, have only a couple talented players and your future is looking bleak. Doesn't look like a destination UFA's are going to want head to. Most of their top 6 FWD's will be gone and they currently do not have anyone in their system to replace them and plenty of the good players around the league are locked up already long term. So you're sorting through used parts hoping to god to hit the jackpot.

Also.. How is it a bunch of 30+ year old players on expiring contracts in the next couple years is no sweat to you or any concern for NYI, a team with no talent coming up behind those contracts a MASSIVE talent gap.... But Our middle age forwards you are concerned about when they are in their mid 30s... Which is 7 years away for Bo Horvat and more for everyone else. Like we have SEVEN years to build talent behind our first face of the new era of Canuck hockey Bo Horvat. But that is far more pressing than NYI's zero talent and soon to be depleted top 6?? They desperately need talent now and for the next few years. They need a lot of picks to make up for the last 8 years of failed drating and giveways (outside Barzal, Beauvillier, Dobson and Wahsltrom)

Its a pipe dream to score Dobson or another top 4RHD, but sometimes organizations need to make big trades to fast track the future. NYI seems like a fairly logical place to try and pry something out of and toss them some picks and prospects in return and give them a top 6 guy that fits their cap situation to help provide scoring. Their blueline can afford to lose a guy. VAN gave away Schneider for a 13th OA and then moved Luongo. Gave up 2 highly established goalies for unknowns. Don''t tell me it cant be done. 

EDIT:  Just an FYI Pastrnak scores an average of 25 5v5 goals a season. That is only 5 more than Boeser's average. 

Edited by AnthonyG
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

Burke built the 2010-11 team, not Gillis, not Nonis, Burke and it started with drafting from ‘99-04. The other GMs just found the easy pieces, trades and UFA. 

Actually, Nonis built that team.

- Traded for Luongo
- Signed Mitchell

- Signed Burrows

- Drafted Schneider, Edler,  Raymond, and Hansen

He only inherited the Sedins and Kesler.

• Vintage 2

2 hours ago, shiznak said:

Actually, Nonis built that team.

- Traded for Luongo
- Signed Mitchell

- Signed Burrows

- Drafted Schneider, Edler,  Raymond, and Hansen

He only inherited the Sedins and Kesler.

Ummm Salo? Bieksa? 
Mitchell wasnt even part of 2011

Burke signed Bertuzzi 

Sedins+Kesler+Salo+Bieksa

5 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

Ummm Salo? Bieksa? 
Mitchell wasnt even part of 2011

Burke signed Bertuzzi 

Sedins+Kesler+Salo+Bieksa

Burke

Sedins, Kesler, Salo, Bieksa

Nonis

Luongo, Edler, Burrows, Raymond, Hansen, Schneider

Gillis

Hamhuis, Erhoff, Malhotra, Samuelsson (plus supplementary players in Torres, Higgins, and Lapierre)

All three contributed very important parts to that team. Yes, Burke brought in the offensive core. However, Nonis brought in the Jennings winning goaltending and and our number 1 defenseman in Edler. Salo and Bieksa were both great and important members of that team but were numbers 4 and 5 on the depth chart. Gillis brought in numbers 2 and 3 in Hamhuis and Erhoff. Malhotra was also a core member of the team and a leader.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Hmmmmmm…

Just laying the groundwork in case they decide to start him in Laval.  They’ve said all along they drafted him to be the best player out of the draft. Not the best 18 year old player.  

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Planning for the #1 draft pick in 2023 is well underway......don't need some kid coming out of nowhere and ruining the plan lol.  

meh i honestly think this guy will bust... i mean bust as a #1 overall.. he'll prolly be fine as an nhler 10 points in finnish league.. and 7 goals in olympic all of a sudden he's a #1 overall pick.. way too small sample size.. doubt even if he's in the nhl he'll take montreal out of last place lol.. coz i don't see him touching 30-35 points

2 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

meh i honestly think this guy will bust... i mean bust as a #1 overall.. he'll prolly be fine as an nhler 10 points in finnish league.. and 7 goals in olympic all of a sudden he's a #1 overall pick.. way too small sample size.. doubt even if he's in the nhl he'll take montreal out of last place lol.. coz i don't see him touching 30-35 points

Definitely got a feeling the best player of that draft won’t be in the top 3.

They took a big risk taking Slafkovsky. Seems like they were a little too enamoured with his size.

Not saying Wright should have been number 1 but Im not sure the Habs wouldn’t have been better off trading down and taking the top D man. But with the draft being in Montreal it was never gonna happen.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Definitely got a feeling the best player of that draft won’t be in the top 3.

They took a big risk taking Slafkovsky. Seems like they were a little too enamoured with his size.

Not saying Wright should have been number 1 but Im not sure the Habs wouldn’t have been better off trading down and taking the top D man. But with the draft being in Montreal it was never gonna happen.

Wright probably is a safer bet. Slafkovsky is swinging for the fence with hopes that his 7 goals in the olympic in 7 games was a sign of things to come.. like seriously aside from his size.. i dunno what is there to like about his stats.. 10 points in 30+ games in finnish league against man is um impressive? drafting powerforwards in the top 10 rarely works out.

On 9/30/2022 at 9:03 PM, SilentSam said:

Hmmmmmm…

18 year old vs future NHL player.  They are still fully confident they made the right pick.

"We've got to do what's right for him," Hughes said. "If we do what we said when we drafted him - we weren't looking for the best 18-year-old, we were looking for the best NHL player down the road - and I don't think we do that without making the best decision for him. Whether it's the popular decision or not, we're going to do what we believe is right."

16 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

How is that Horvat contract coming along?  Didn't JR say he wanted him extended prior to the start of the season?  That's only 10 days away....

I can't see how it gets done before the season.