The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I hope for rebuilding moves too.  But IMHAO our owner will insist on trades being for players to help now instead of futures. This was kind of a theme on 650 today.  About how our owner insists our trades are for players to help now.  

He wants to be a perennial contender… anything is a step up with the clown show we have now. I don’t think, anyone knows the issues but something deep is in that room and the boom is going to fall.

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I hope for rebuilding moves too.  But IMHAO our owner will insist on trades being for players to help now instead of futures. This was kind of a theme on 650 today.  About how our owner insists our trades are for players to help now.  

There's some things they can try that could go a long way

Horvat out, #1 RHD in would be a big move if they can swing it

Boeser out, kapanen in would make our penalty kill better, and give miller a defensive oriented winger

im torn between wnating them to just rip it all down and rebuild through futures, or surround petey and hughes with good players

Now that petey's line is one of the, if not the best in the nhl, i think there may be something worth building around

4 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

There is NO refusal from ownership. Rutherford did not come here without assurance that he had FULL control of the team, personal and trades.

Fans need to get off this that it's ownership that is controlling everything and telling Rutherford what he can and can't do. He had not reason to come out of retirement and wouldn't have without being given full reign over team structure.

Everything around the whole ownership interference argument is 100% speculation. Yes, Rutherford answers to Aqualini on how the team performs, but answers on the decisions that are made, not on whether to make them in the first place. This is how it works in all NHL teams!

So why hasn’t anything been done to improve the future in the year he’s been here? Why have we been going in the same circle since Gillis came out and said we needed to rebuild?

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

7 hours ago, ey40 said:

What kind of comparison is this? Sedins fought through adversity to become what they are. The guy saw his jersey threw on the ice and decided to leave. 

Don’t let the door hit you on your way out Bo!

And you know for a fact that Horvat made up his mind seeing his jersey on the ice? Really? REALLY?

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Supposedly according to some “in the know” here, Lalji would put his job at TSN in jeopardy by falsifying rumours. I think Lalji is, has been,  and always will be full of shit. 

IIRC, When Farhan first started covering the Canucks he was excellent.

Not sure what happened, think I recall some of the players having a beef with him but I could be wrong. ( think it was bashing or trade rumours)

The only insiders worth a listen are Friedman, Bob mckenzie(retired) and Seravalli. all have had hits and major misses to be fair.

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Agreed.  They got rid of ROR and Duchene.  Fluked their way to get Cale Makar and now they are cup champs...

They didn't purposefully tank though.  RoR was traded because of his salary demands (summer 2015).  Sakic tried to replace him by signing Soderberg in free agency.  They were even buyers at the 2016 TDL but still ended up missing the post-season.   Sakic was considered one of the worst GMs in the league for quite some time.  It's only after the Duchene trade (November 2017) and them making the playoffs that same season that opinions changed.   Ironically it was the year Sakic decided that he was just going to bring in their youth and let things play out vs trying to improve their roster through veteran signings.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Lots of guys know how to take faceoffs.  BO isn't the inventor of them.  You are putting too much emphasis on one part of the game that 90% of the time doesn't even make a difference in the score.  Yeah sure, you can just trade bottom level guys for 99 point guys, it's so easy, lol!!  You do know that only like 8 guys in the NHL got more than 99 points last year right?  I'll take a 99 point player over a top faceoff guy anytime.  We can find a Manny Malhotra to replace BO...

lol lots of guy knows how to faceoff.. how many are good at it? bottom feeders? i'm talking about replacing miller with a mid level player.. that can get u 60-70 points..  the rest of the lineup can't cover 20-30 points? we know your obsession with Miller.. you were arguing with me all summer how Miller is the best defensive forward on the team when i said he's the worse and EP is the best all summer just because miller have Selke votes. those selke votes sure looks good right now.. ya malhotra is a dime a dozen.. you can find a top faceoff guy in this league that can play in your top 2 line scores 30+ goals.. i'll take any player that scores 60-70 points a season and only gives up 60-70 goals against vs a player that scores 99 points but gives up 120+ goals against.. he's top 10 in points he's also top 10 in goals against for forward and and top 4 in high danger chance against. top 50 high danger chance against overall.. and out of the top 100 90 of them are like defenceman...

if faceoff guys are easily replaceable.. so why haven't we had a legit 3c capable of playing matchup and taking faceoff since forever?

49 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

IIRC, When Farhan first started covering the Canucks he was excellent.

Not sure what happened, think I recall some of the players having a beef with him but I could be wrong. ( think it was bashing or trade rumours)

The only insiders worth a listen are Friedman, Bob mckenzie(retired) and Seravalli. all have had hits and major misses to be fair.

Any media member that claims to know what it’s like in the room is full of $&it.

These guys spend like half an hour to an hour a day tops with the players in the room. And the players are all well aware when the media is in there.

The only guy in the media who actually would know is Dan Murphy cause he travels with the team and is around them more than anyone. If I heard it from him I’d believe it.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Pears said:

So why hasn’t anything been done to improve the future in the year he’s been here? Why have we been going in the same circle since Gillis came out and said we needed to rebuild?

No, Gillis said we needed more pieces, he didn't talk about rebuild until we really needed one, and a new direction. 

6 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol lots of guy knows how to faceoff.. how many are good at it? bottom feeders? i'm talking about replacing miller with a mid level player.. that can get u 60-70 points..  the rest of the lineup can't cover 20-30 points? we know your obsession with Miller.. you were arguing with me all summer how Miller is the best defensive forward on the team when i said he's the worse and EP is the best all summer just because miller have Selke votes. those selke votes sure looks good right now.. ya malhotra is a dime a dozen.. you can find a top faceoff guy in this league that can play in your top 2 line scores 30+ goals.. i'll take any player that scores 60-70 points a season and only gives up 60-70 goals against vs a player that scores 99 points but gives up 120+ goals against.. he's top 10 in points he's also top 10 in goals against for forward and and top 4 in high danger chance against. top 50 high danger chance against overall.. and out of the top 100 90 of them are like defenceman...

if faceoff guys are easily replaceable.. so why haven't we had a legit 3c capable of playing matchup and taking faceoff since forever?

Bo Horvat’s career face-off percentage is 53.8%. JT Miller’s career face-off percentage is 52.6%. So you replace Horvat with Miller as your 2C. It’s pretty simple Wai.

3C’s aren’t difficult to get. There were several available in free agency last year. I’m pretty sure you can get a 3C in any Horvat trade regardless. 

Not sure why you are acting like Horvat is Pavel Bure or Trevor Linden. He’s not. If those guys can get traded then so can Horvat. We survived the first 45 years of our existence without BO. We will manage for the next 45 years. 

My obsession with Miller?  There are literally posters on here who are saying that if we trade Horvat we are doomed forever. Lol. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Pears said:

Aquilini should’ve listened, threw away an entire decade.

Another one might go to waste here, I’ll be looking forward to when Johnson and Bedard become UFA’s towards the end of the decade.

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 2

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Bo Horvat’s career face-off percentage is 53.8%. JT Miller’s career face-off percentage is 52.6%. So you replace Horvat with Miller as your 2C. It’s pretty simple Wai.

3C’s aren’t difficult to get. There were several available in free agency last year. I’m pretty sure you can get a 3C in any Horvat trade regardless. 

Not sure why you are acting like Horvat is Pavel Bure or Trevor Linden. He’s not. If those guys can get traded then so can Horvat. We survived the first 45 years of our existence without BO. We will manage for the next 45 years. 

My obsession with Miller?  There are literally posters on here who are saying that if we trade Horvat we are doomed forever. Lol. 

we replace horvat with Miller? we already tried Miller at center this year.. he was an utter disaster.. and he still is a disaster defensively. Miller is not capable of playing center unless you put him with defensive forwards like pearson that'll do the job for him. and even then it was terrible. 

Miller isn't bure or linden either? and you act like he's irreplaceable. he's already proven last year was a fluke when his assist is well above his career average. and you act like Bo is already peaked and will decline for sure. last year Bo had a career year in goals.. the age coincided with Miller's 1st year with the canucks.. bo continued to have an uptick in goals.. 60 goals is probably unrealistic.. but who to say he won't be a 40-45 goal scorer in the right situation consistently for the next couple years? i find it funny you guys keep bashing horvat and pegging him as a 3c.. if he can consistently put up 40 goals for the next 3-5 years? i'll gladly pay him the 8mil for everything else he brings.. Miller's faceoff % is also helped by the fact he gets the easier faceoff matchup.. how often is he matched up against the 3rd/4th line for draw? very often meanwhile horvat gets the top line to faceoff against.

again you keep saying 3c is not hard to get.. getting a 3c that works with your team is hard to get.. we tried that with dickinson.. he was horrible here and looks great with chicago.. if 3c is so easily available why are there teams looking for 3c year after year that fits with their team? 

Miller is not a legit center.. he never is never was never will be.. Center's job is not only faceoff.. center have the defensive responsibility on the line.. they are usually the 1st forward back in the D zone.. when was the last time you saw Miller as the first forward back? i don't think i've seen it more than a handful of times in his entire career in vancouver. Bo is not the greatest defensive center in the league far from it.. but at least he's capable of winning the draw from top lines of other teams to limit possession. so you think by getting rid of Bo and keeping miller.. the canucks are competing all of a sudden? getting rid of bo or miller the canucks ain't competing for 3-4 years.. i take a 30 year old horvat over a 32 year old miller any day of the week.. especially back in the summer when he could have been had at prolly 7mil.

• Cheers 2