The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

Just now, shiznak said:

Considering Bo said he’s tired of losing and playing meaningless games in March. I’m pretty sure he values winning than getting a big contract. If a team like Carolina pays him reasonably well (7m). I think he takes that deal over what Detroit is willing to pay. 

I’ve always said, I wouldn’t be surprised if Horvat took less than market value to play on a contender. 

Every player says that.

When you’re taking about $14 million more to play for Detroit it’s easy to convince yourself they’re close to being good.

And even if you go to a contender no guarantees you’ll win anything. You could very well be part of a rebuild in the 2nd half of your contract.

2 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Considering Bo said he’s tired of losing and playing meaningless games in March. I’m pretty sure he values winning than getting a big contract. If a team like Carolina pays him reasonably well (7m). I think he takes that deal over what Detroit is willing to pay. 

I’ve always said, I wouldn’t be surprised if Horvat took less than market value to play on a contender. 

The fact is he not going to get 8m ,   
San Jose Handcuffed themselves to Hertyl in almost the same situation.

Horvat has no track record ..  except for a 50% f/o capacity..

What he has done this year for goals, points,   is a single recording I don’t think he’ll match to again ,  and his lack of emotion , shows his “constitution” for the game ,  play safe , don’t get hurt.       ….  For 8 m a season ??

We aren’t going to get a lot back for Bo .

but he is the one, with Boeser , who are priorities to move off this team if a new culture is supposed to take over.

15 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Every player says that.

When you’re taking about $14 million more to play for Detroit it’s easy to convince yourself they’re close to being good.

And even if you go to a contender no guarantees you’ll win anything. You could very well be part of a rebuild in the 2nd half of your contract.

When you played most of your career on a non-playoff team, never sniffing anywhere near to the Stanley Cup. I think most player are willing to sacrifice the money to get a better chance at winning the Cup. 

Horvat will get paid regardless of where he ends up, but I think winning means more to him than anything else. Gaudreau took less money to sign with Columbus than New Jersey. Thinking Columbus was further along the rebuilding process.

Like I said, he controls his own destination once he becomes an UFA and I highly doubt Detroit is on his prefer list, judging where they are in the standings. 

Edited by shiznak
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Lysell was the best skater in his draft class. Speed kills these days. Just ask Seattle. Plus he is a good 200’ player. I am sure that Tocchet can get him into a top 6 role playing with Miller. And if we get lucky Bedard as well. 

The Canucks already have lots of high end winger prospects though with the likes of Linus Karlsson, Podkolzin, Hoglander, and Lekkerimaki. Lysell might end up being better than all of them, but it's not an area of need. We are hurting for good C prospects and Harrison seems to be developing really well.

1 minute ago, Diamonds said:

The Canucks already have lots of high end winger prospects though with the likes of Linus Karlsson, Podkolzin, Hoglander, and Lekkerimaki. Lysell might end up being better than all of them, but it's not an area of need. We are hurting for good C prospects and Harrison seems to be developing really well.

Karlsson and Hoglander aren't top 6 prospects.  I don't even think Podkolzin will be a top 6 guy to be honest.  He may be a really good 3rd line guy who can play a good 200' game and be physical.  I'm not sold on JL either.  He doesn't have the speed of Lysell.  The guy you missed is Klimovich.  I think he may be better than all of them.

We do need centres in a big way.  We will get one this draft.  Maybe another via a trade with Boeser.  Or we could keep Miller as a 2C.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Don’t give up on Strudnicka in the FO circle,  kid is 47 % ..     that’s something amazing to build on..  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

How do people look at devils and think miere is a fit there salary wise? He’s an RFA with a QO of 9 million next season…. Jesper Bratt is due for a huge raise, hughes heischer hamilton already making big bucks palat got paid and they have a whole bunch of young talent up coming that need to be paid and they can’t afford all of them, if devils make a move it’s for a team friendly deal with term or just a rental for the playoffs so it doesn’t affect future issues with paying there current players 

Seeing alot of 'Trade JT sign Bo' on the boards.

IMO JT has more top end talent than Bo. He needs his leash/muzzle... But Bo has been a terrible captain.

There's a reason why this team's leadership is being called out by the coach 2 games in. There virtually is none with our silent captain. 31 goals so far is great but his shooting % is not sustainable and he disappears half our games. Not worth 8M in my books.

IMO JT is the better player, he just needs to be put in his place. When Bo is gone and the captaincy goes to Petey I think he will realize his place on this team. Also Tocchet will take care of him.

JT is more valuable at 8M and can low-key put up 70 points in the next 4 seasons.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

not to mention Klimovich who is looking pretty good this year too. 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Impossible but would love stankoven 

Why would that be impossible?

He’d be on the lower end of the top prospect we’d be asking for. Don’t let the junior hype blind you. Nic Petan was once a “monster”. 

15 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Impossible but would love stankoven 

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Why would that be impossible?

He’d be on the lower end of the top prospect we’d be asking for. Don’t let the junior hype blind you. Nic Petan was once a “monster”. 

Yeah I'm not 100% sold on Stankoven.  Size alone would be a concern for me.  The guy is 5'7" lol

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • elephant 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Nemec will be a no go.

If they’re trading him it would be for Meier who’s younger and is an RFA after the season.

good call, just trying ta target what's most needed. NJD are pretty set on D for the foreseeable future.

Hamilton & Marino locked up on RHD  until 2028 & 2027, Siegenthaler signed to 2028 also.

FINE, unite the Hughes brothers

Q.Hughes, with 50% retained on Horvat and Schenn

for

Nemec, Mukhamadullin, Wood, Tatar & Johnsson :P

I'm still hopeful a contender has a top C injury just before the deadline.

Sending Bo or JT to Washington an idea that popped up, Backstrom had hip surgery and has not looked great so far, mind you its been 7 games 0g3a and -3 C the third line. They have Hugo-Has & Iorio as RHD prospects. 

Tampa, I'm looking at you and the RHD pool you have. Bogosian, Perbix, Cernak, P.Myers, C.Foote.

Could Tampa be interested in Horvat & Schenn for something around Cernak/P.Myers (cap) + C.Foote?

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, LegionOfDoom said:

How do people look at devils and think miere is a fit there salary wise? He’s an RFA with a QO of 9 million next season…. Jesper Bratt is due for a huge raise, hughes heischer hamilton already making big bucks palat got paid and they have a whole bunch of young talent up coming that need to be paid and they can’t afford all of them, if devils make a move it’s for a team friendly deal with term or just a rental for the playoffs so it doesn’t affect future issues with paying there current players 

Bratt has been eligible for an extension since 1 January.  They've had really difficult negotiations in the past.  As much as they want to retain him they might not be able to get a reasonable deal done.  Meier brings something that they don't have in their top-6 and already has chemistry with Hischier.   

They might decide between one or the other after the playoffs - ie powerforward vs skilled winger.  If they decide on Meier, they can trade Bratt in the off-season to off-set part of the cost of acquiring Meier.  They can also trade Meier further or let him go UFA.  

8 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

good call, just trying ta target what's most needed. NJD are pretty set on D for the foreseeable future.

Hamilton & Marino locked up on RHD  until 2028 & 2027, Siegenthaler signed to 2028 also.

FINE, unite the Hughes brothers

Q.Hughes, with 50% retained on Horvat and Schenn

for

Nemec, Mukhamadullin, Wood, Tatar & Johnsson :P

I'm still hopeful a contender has a top C injury just before the deadline.

Sending Bo or JT to Washington an idea that popped up, Backstrom had hip surgery and has not looked great so far, mind you its been 7 games 0g3a and -3 C the third line. They have Hugo-Has & Iorio as RHD prospects. 

Tampa, I'm looking at you and the RHD pool you have. Bogosian, Perbix, Cernak, P.Myers, C.Foote.

Could Tampa be interested in Horvat & Schenn for something around Cernak/P.Myers (cap) + C.Foote?

Cernak's extension hasn't even kicked in.  Doubt they want to move on from him.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Karlsson and Hoglander aren't top 6 prospects.  I don't even think Podkolzin will be a top 6 guy to be honest.  He may be a really good 3rd line guy who can play a good 200' game and be physical.  I'm not sold on JL either.  He doesn't have the speed of Lysell.  The guy you missed is Klimovich.  I think he may be better than all of them.

We do need centres in a big way.  We will get one this draft.  Maybe another via a trade with Boeser.  Or we could keep Miller as a 2C.  

It seems Klim has broken out this season. I am anxious to see him finish his year in Abby with a long Calder run. He dangled thru 2 defenders the other night and roofed the puck. I agree with your take on Karlsson, Hogs and Podz. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, mll said:

Cernak's extension hasn't even kicked in.  Doubt they want to move on from him.

That's kinda the point, Cernak makes 2.950 this year and bumps up to 5.2 next for 8 years.

Horvat @ %50 retained = 2.750

Schenn @ %50 retained =425k

for 

Cernak 2.950

Foote 850k

Heck, replace Schenn with Bear and retain 900k on him and the trade is still cap compliant.

• Cheers 1