The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Travis Green, name Bruce Boudreau as head coach

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, Strawbone said:

What a great interview. He's a really likeable, self-aware guy with a very good track record. Man I'm pumped for the rest of this year, and especially next year when he gets a full season to work his magic!

One of the guys on Sportsnet (forget who) said he played with Boudreau in his final season.

Said he was a big part of them winning a championship despite not playing a game. Great locker room guy that likes to keep things light and make guys laugh.

Exactly what this team needs right now.

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Perfect, a coach who can adapt his system to suit the players he has.

This.... can't stand coaches in any sport that are so sure of their system that continue to force it when it's now working with the players they have to work with.

Also affects who makes the team out of camp (not necessarily keeping best players but the one's that the coach trusts more in their system).

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 2

47 minutes ago, luckylager said:

The boys will be ready and excited to have new structure and a more uptempo attacking style.

Regardless of the bumps in road, I'm excited to see the transformation!

Yes this is the next best thing to being traded to a new team and new coach... so they better start playing or be in the ahl... 

7 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Lame. Lots of coaches took a ton of tries before they won it. The game for game record is there. Winning record period.

Yeah lol... If they are $&!#ting on Boudreau's record, they are $&!#ting on 90% of the league's coaches. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Sadly, true; I wonder if he will be willing to be more hands off, moving forward ?  Guess, we will find out, if the next GM is timid, then it will be the same show, with a different set of cast; perhaps,  a Mellanby announcement is next ?

I hope he doesn't rush to hire a GM or whoever is going to run hockey ops.  I just watched the Dahliwal clip on twitter and according to him this has been brewing for at least a month.  They need to do things right.  The need a guy like Holland who isn't going to cave to the owner or the old boys club.  Benning probably knows what he needed to do but he just bent over for the owner and this is what we get.  Spinning our wheels for 7 years.

You can't re-tool around 33 year old players and expect to get anywhere.  That's how old the Sedins were in 2014 and in a couple of years they were past it.  The owner doesn't know anything.  He is too close to the team.  You need somebody who isn't a fan to run the show

The good news is they already have a core and as long as they don't frack it up, they should be ok in a couple of years

• Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

I hope he doesn't rush to hire a GM or whoever is going to run hockey ops.  I just watched the Dahliwal clip on twitter and according to him this has been brewing for at least a month.  They need to do things right.  The need a guy like Holland who isn't going to cave to the owner or the old boys club.  Benning probably knows what he needed to do but he just bent over for the owner and this is what we get.  Spinning our wheels for 7 years.

You can't re-tool around 33 year old players and expect to get anywhere.  That's how old the Sedins were in 2014 and in a couple of years they were past it.  The owner doesn't know anything.  He is too close to the team.  You need somebody who isn't a fan to run the show

The good news is they already have a core and as long as they don't frack it up, they should be ok in a couple of years

Ditto: the rumoured temp GM's are mostly ex Canucks and Gear a lawyer.   Seems very similar to the Oilers management before Chiapet.  

Edited by ShawnAntoski

10 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Boudreau seems to love talking with the media...does that mean the negative toxic media will have nothing to go at him with cause he has the answers and will say it how it is??

Not for nothing that his nickname is Gabby.

Boudreau hosted a radio show at the Minnesota State Fair with Russo.  Has been numerous guests on podcasts - even had Russo do his 1st Straight from the Source from his own man cave.  

I’m so freaking stoked that we’re finally getting a NHL experienced coach to see what he can do with our guys. I’m slightly concerned that Boudreau may have skeletons in the closet, but if there was they likely would have come out by now given his long experienced tenure so it’s not a big worry. I wish Green the best, he was a good guy and a good coach, but didn’t have the tools for what our team needs now.

Bruce is exactly the kind of coach we need who can lead a skilled and fast team to outscore our opponents. That’s how this team is built and how it needs to be played for us to have success. I just hope all the assistant coaches except Clark, maybe Shaw though I’m on the fence about him, are gone too. They have failed miserably in every facet of the game so far and would be anchors for our team if we kept them. If BB somehow fails miserably he’s only here for 2 years, which was a very smart move that shows management learning from their mistakes.

Feels like a brand new season has started! Hope we pull a St. Louis and shock the world of hockey! Go Canucks Go! :canucks:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

Just now, DSVII said:

image.png.d06c47a254fab554e97d1f5f4f1a12d3.png

Considering Canucks have a ~1% chance of playoffs right now, it's a tall order. But hope Boudreau can show the team what it's like to play with an actual NHL system

Yeah we aren't making the playoffs barring a crazy winning streak. Flames didn't with Sutter last year with the mid-season change. Sutter only got them to .500 hockey in the games he coached. At best we can look to create a identity, something to build on.

1 hour ago, Jaimito said:

Asked to compare his Minny team to Ducks and Caps, he said they had little Smurfs.  Liked his discussion on what speed without size can do though.  

When asked about Canucks, he said he was watching the team, just in case someone calls. This was posted Nov 24.  

Just finished watching this. A very good and honest interview.

Some interesting comments on his Leafs interview, analytics and his approach he would take with Vancouver. 

• Thanks 1