The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Jim Rutherford as president & interim GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, DeNiro said:

I’m thinking with Rutherford and Boudreau in place they’ll have no problem attracting qualified GMs to fill the empty position.

Aquilinis doing exactly what they need to do to right the ship. They deserve some credit, and maybe some forgiveness.

This I can agree with AND both are older so both could be grooming others to take their jobs in the next few years. Sedins for Rutherford and Scott Walker for Boudreau?

I am happy we have an experienced President of Hockey Ops, let's see who we hire as GM before we get all bent out of shape like Max the racer and others...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gurn said:

Rutherford as Poho is great, and if his  interm gm label is alongside Smyl then fine by me.

I'd be disappointed if they have already thrown Smyl back to his previous position.

Run the G.M spot as a group for awhile, so it doesn't look like a repudiation of Stan's abilities.

Whatever title Smyl ends up with here the one thing Rutherford is know for is being a collaborative and inclusive leader. He will definitely lean on Smyl I have no doubt about it.

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Swap Miller for a RD, add a RH 3C and get a big, snarly 3LD (while continuing to draft well and develop guys like Woo, Klimovich, Lockwood, McDonagh etc) and I think this team will be quite competitive for years.

Who is gonna drive the bus offensively though? That's a lot of eggs into the basket for guys like Klimo

50 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

While i would have preferred Lombardi I am still hopeful we can land Mc Farland in the GM role. we need some new blood in the system. Boudreau is an excellent coach. Rutherford is just an Ok POHO We really need the GM to be a winner. Having experience in the roles is vital to winning a championship. We have it in spades so far

Who is Mc Farland?

3 minutes ago, rekker said:

Odd they didn't claim Nash. Good enough for Tampa, but not us?! I would of claimed him, Dickenson on the wing. Dickenson looks great there.

Nash may well have been a good pick up

But, Lammikko and Dickenson have just played their 2 best games of the season

and Petey and others are taking a crack at PK

wouldn't picking up a 32 year old retread be doing the same thing was clobbered Jim for doing?

The room said it was not fractured, now is not really the time for tinkering

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, klw604 said:

Pittsburgh Receives :

Ryan Reaves

2nd Round pick

For

St Louis Receives:

Oscar Sundqvist

1st Round Pick

Wild trade !

I think that was after Wilson bullied the Pens in the playoffs.  I was just on the HF mainboard and a Pitts fan basically said that Rutherford lost all logic when Wilson got in his head, it was basically all downhill after that.

Reminds me to a lesser degree of Gillis  bringing in guys lie Mancari, Bitz, and Volapatti after getting pushed around by Boston.

1 hour ago, singing chef said:

Watched the Stan Smyl interview with the panel in the 1st. intermission of the Canucks game on Sportsnet last evening.  Although not the most gifted speaker, his comments were sincere and revealed what a good grasp he has of the team and the current situation.  Also revealed the passion he has for this team and his vision on how to manage the transition into different management and coaching.  His comments to the effect that the players have to step up and show what they have got was interesting and suggested that would determine who stays and who doesn't.  He needs to be around this team and be listened to.

Thanks Stan - you're a gem.

Seems a little odd   Stan was the interim until we fund the interim.  Why  not just hire Rutherford as president? And leave smyl as interim. 

• Upvote 3
  • Vintage 1

I'm fine with JR being PoHo, his insights to the team would be very beneficial. Dean Lombardi as GM would be an amazing final piece. Need someone of his pedigree to push to team to contender realm at this point. 

Hot take: Benning should not have been fired until the off-season, should've been given a chance with JR in the PoHo position. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1