The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Which core players will be traded to reshape the roster of the team?

Rate this topic

6 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Ideally, we’d keep both Miller and Horvat while moving Boeser if it had to come down to this.   Kilomovich would then replace Boeser.  I hope they find a way to keep all three however.  

Maybe moving Pearson for a pick would go a long way in giving us cap space?  

I think a lot of it will depend on Boeser and if he can get his game back under Boudreau.  He already looks like he’s on that path.  

Klimovich replacing Boeser ain't remotely realistic any time soon. He'll be 19 in January and he's just getting his first taste of the pros. That's asking an awful lot. He's got 2 goals and 3 assists in 15 games as a rookie, he'll likely need to cook. 

I think he's a fantastic prospect, but I don't see him stepping into the NHL sooner than later as realistic. Let alone capably enough to replace someone like Boeser. He'll likely need 2-3 years. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

I think we have a few guys who would be on the trade market right now, and culd be had for minimal  return:

-Myers

-Hamonic

-Pearson

-Dickinson

These guys being dealt would open up some much needed cap  for next year.

I think our biggest needs right now  are:

-1st and 2nd round picks

-Prospects with NHL upside

-Defensive top 4 D

-Defensive, physical  bottom pair RD

-RH botttom 6  C who can PK

I think that the two guys who would be on block would be Boeser and Miller.  I do feel  Miller would return a top RD and a 1st, and possibly an additional prospect, while likely opening up some cap  space.  I think Boeser would return a solid prospect and a 1st.

I don't think anything is done until we see how this team is in the standings as of the new year.  We have a stretch of very winnable games in the next month.  9-5 gets us right back to .500 half  way through the year.  Unlikely we fair that well, but who knows, the team is looking pretty solid right now.  

I am very confident that a few of the 6 guys I listed above aren't  here to start next year.  Opening up cap will likely be one of the first orders of business for the new regime.

1 minute ago, BCNate said:

I think we have a few guys who would be on the trade market right now, and culd be had for minimal  return:

-Myers

-Hamonic

-Pearson

-Dickinson

These guys being dealt would open up some much needed cap  for next year.

I think our biggest needs right now  are:

-1st and 2nd round picks

-Prospects with NHL upside

-Defensive top 4 D

-Defensive, physical  bottom pair RD

-RH botttom 6  C who can PK

I think that the two guys who would be on block would be Boeser and Miller.  I do feel  Miller would return a top RD and a 1st, and possibly an additional prospect, while likely opening up some cap  space.  I think Boeser would return a solid prospect and a 1st.

I don't think anything is done until we see how this team is in the standings as of the new year.  We have a stretch of very winnable games in the next month.  9-5 gets us right back to .500 half  way through the year.  Unlikely we fair that well, but who knows, the team is looking pretty solid right now.  

I am very confident that a few of the 6 guys I listed above aren't  here to start next year.  Opening up cap will likely be one of the first orders of business for the new regime.

Myers, Hamonic and Pearson all have negative to minimal trade value 

46 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

He is more known for all his trades to support his core.

Not tear it down.

See if you can find his history of trading core players? As you propose is spelled out by his hiring/

I'm just quoting because your kangaroo guitarist sig is awesome. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

59 minutes ago, Odjick 4 Premier said:

Are you honestly comparing the Penguins with Crosby, Malkin and Letang to a team that is in last place in their division behind an expansion team?

This is way different that he went through with the Penguins and closer to Carolina 

He actually wasn't making that comparison.

He was comparing the Penguins with Crosby, Malkin and Letang against the thing you said about simple mathematics etc

This is a funny thing I've always found strange on CDC. Maybe it exists in other areas of the world, but this simple logical breakdown is odd:

Jordan Schroeder will never make it, he's too small.

Too small? Theoren Fleury was smaller than him.

Are you seriously comparing Schroeder to Fleury?

Nope. I was comparing Fleury to the dumb thing you said.

• Upvote 2

I don't think that we need to or should make any major roster moves until we see more what we can accomplish with our current talent.  What we need is a bit more muscle to protect our skill guys.  We don't need to tear it all down immediately just because we have new management.   Finding enforcers and grinders is easier than finding high end skill.  The hard work has already been done, we just need to fill in the holes.  Petey's biggest problem at the moment is confidence.  He's got the skill and creativity.  We've all seen it.  Gretzky had his Semenko.  Bure had his Odjick.  We need someone to protect Petey and he will likely blossom into the player we all know he can be.  We know that the league isn't going to protect our guys so we have to protect our own.  It's nothing new.

We just went through a lot of changes in the off season and all the new players haven't gelled together yet for whatever reason (may have been Green, may have been something else).  Whatever the reason we need to be a little patient and see if we can win with our current roster before we panic and sell the farm.  We're already off to a good start.  

Go Canucks Go!

59 minutes ago, Odjick 4 Premier said:

I meant when he built that team and traded Sutter for Staal 

Staal was his 3C.  Sutter was also his 3C, when they could not afford Staal. He also turned that around when they could not afford Sutter either. Turns out his sneaky assessment of Bonino & subsequently trading for him was the best move? 

Bonino's puck control game a great compliment to Kessel & the an up tempo attack as a whole. Re-defining their 3rd line as primarily an offensive unit.   

That was not conventional deployment or wisdom.

Shrewd trade then utilized by a coach who adapted to the personnel provided.

In the end, it was still all about complimentary players to his stars, and their game style. Not trading any of their core 3 or 4 players.

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I could actually see a Pettersson trade at some point. 

If he asks maybe. 

But right now his value is low so we wouldn't want to trade him.

And if he gets back to himself we won't want to trade him.  

I think Boeser is the one they would trade.

3 hours ago, Odjick 4 Premier said:

With Rutherford hired as President and interim GM we know there are probably at least 1 core player traded to reformat this roster into a playoff team and my opinion it is going to be at least 1 of Boeser, Miller or Horvat with all 3 needing long term deals in the next 18 months 

This isn’t who do you want to trade but who is most likely to be traded to reformat the Canucks into a better team 

Soooooo, How exactly do we know this?

I'm not ruling out that we could move someone to improve defensive depth, but I really don't see this as a forgone conclusion. We're in pretty good cap position after this season with only Boeser needing a new contract, we have about 14.5 million to work with and 17 guys signed. Boeser will be about 7.5 million on a long-term. Will leave about 7 million to fill out the roster.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Odjick 4 Premier said:

Those guys are not going to bring anything back specially since Pearson has NTC so it will be someone from the core to bring in draft picks or prospects or both to turn the team around

You can’t trade garbage for gold and think it’s realistic, the only way the Canucks are going to get 1 or 2 future top 4 RHD is through a trade or draft and they do not have the draft capital to do that 

The Canucks aren’t in the part of the cycle where they need futures though. They need immediate help to surround this core.  If you can trade redundant and spotty support players for better fitting pieces on other teams it’s worth exploring.

Ironically enough, for the first time in 10 years the Canucks actually should be retooling not rebuilding. Too bad they wasted that 10 years trying.

• Cheers 1

Its the secondary pieces that are going to get shuffled around before core players go. Only time I see JT going is at the TDL next season if he isn't going to sign an extension with us. 

Pearson,Hamonic,Poolman, Dickenson... All will be shopped

Alex Chassion and Juho Lamenko don't have value but will be replaced.