The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks trying to trade Halak

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Probably for the best, with the Canucks not playing much we need as many topics to beat to death as possible 

could be a nifty bit of pick recovery there tho with the right team. This road trip will determine it for sure. 

4 minutes ago, JM_ said:

could be a nifty bit of pick recovery there tho with the right team. This road trip will determine it for sure. 

Oh def, these next 10-11 games could decide which way the season turns 

I'd take a pick, he's gotta be one of the better backup options available despite his record 

It's not as if his numbers are bad, he just hasn't gotten much run support from Vancouver

15 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Oh def, these next 10-11 games could decide which way the season turns 

I'd take a pick, he's gotta be one of the better backup options available despite his record 

It's not as if his numbers are bad, he just hasn't gotten much run support from Vancouver

He's given the team a chance to win consistently.  That's all you can hope for from a backup; you can't blame him for Green and Baumer destroying the team in front of him.

7 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

He's given the team a chance to win consistently.  That's all you can hope for from a backup; you can't blame him for Green and Baumer destroying the team in front of him.

Def, I've had no issue with Halak's play

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Koskinen 3.19 GAA .900 SV% 

Smith 3.76 GAA .898 SV%

Halak 2.59 GAA .915 SV%

Edmonton is definitely interested. I think Vegas might also be interested in a backup but not as desperate as the oilers.

Edmonton should be desperate, but they'll need to shed cap somewhere and we'd need to get another backup somehow.  None of their goalies are remotely close to NHL quality, unfortunately.

1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

Smith 3.76 GAA .898 SV%

Halak 2.59 GAA .915 SV%

Edmonton is definitely interested. I think Vegas might also be interested in a backup but not as desperate as the oilers.

I’d do Halak for Poolparty..

he might turn in to a beast of a power forward nex year

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I’d do Halak for Poolparty..

he might turn in to a beast of a power forward nex year

He’s on pace for 55+ points this year. The time to trade for Puljujarvi was 2 years ago when he was at his lowest value and bet on his potential. Back when everybody on these boards said poolparty was a bust that’s when we should have done that Virtanen and Poolparty swap. Proposed that 2 years ago and got flamed hard.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

He’s on pace for 55+ points this year. The time to trade for Puljujarvi was 2 years ago when he was at his lowest value and bet on his potential. Back when everybody on these boards said poolparty was a bust that’s when we should have done that Virtanen and Poolparty swap. Proposed that 2 years ago and got flamed hard.

Oilers are desperate for an NHL goalie and will have to overpay badly to get one in the middle of the season.  If they can't make the playoffs then there is a very real chance McDiver demands a trade out of that hellhole.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

Oilers are desperate for an NHL goalie and will have to overpay badly to get one in the middle of the season.  If they can't make the playoffs then there is a very real chance McDiver demands a trade out of that hellhole.

Still a 36 year old backup goalie on an expiring deal for a 23 year old 6’4” winger about to put up a 55+ point season. People are crazy on the asks. There’s absolutely no way that comes back in an actual trade for Halak. Think another prospect and a pick or just a 2nd or 3rd round pick. There will be comparable goalies on the market to Halak so you can’t get as much as some people are asking for. I’d be stoked getting a 2nd round pick.

Just now, flickyoursedin said:

Still a 36 year old backup goalie on an expiring deal for a 23 year old 6’4” winger about to put up a 55+ point season. People are crazy on the asks. There’s absolutely no way that comes back in an actual trade for Halak. Think another prospect and a pick or just a 2nd or 3rd round pick. There will be comparable goalies on the market to Halak so you can’t get as much as some people are asking for. I’d be stoked getting a 2nd round pick.

How many goalies are going to be able to give them a chance to win behind their AHL blueline?  Halak is by far their best chance at the playoffs, and any deal with them should hurt them badly.  I'd maybe consider Holloway but then they can't get under the cap.

Concerning Halak…

He’s been ok out there. Not the best, but better than anything available right now. 

Trading him is not where the Canucks break bank.

Even his bonus counting against the cap next year is minimal as Luongo’s $3,035,212 cap recapture will be off the books.

God forbid Demko goes down and the Canucks have no one else decent to put between the pipes…

You know… BACKUP goalie…

Do we not consider backups the insurance policy against total disaster anymore?

Edited by Me_
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

New York Baby.

3 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Smith 3.76 GAA .898 SV%

Halak 2.59 GAA .915 SV%

Vegas has no cap and still need to fit Eichel in.

5 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Concerning Halak…

He’s been ok out there. Not the best, but better than anything available right now. 

Even his bonus counting against the cap next year is minimal as Luongo’s $3,035,212 cap recapture will be off the books.

God forbid Demko goes down and the Canucks have no one else decent to put between the pipes…

You know… BACKUP goalie…

Has Halak agreed to move his NMC ?

• Vintage 1

29 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Concerning Halak…

You know… BACKUP goalie…

Holtby/Virtanen buyouts go up in price next year + Halak bonuses + Hog/Pod bonuses = around potentially 5M in dead cap next year. So I could see why they might be interested in moving him. NMC might make it impossible.

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Cheers 3