The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks trying to trade Halak

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Habs need a young goalie.  Depietro to the Habs for what though?  They’ve got no young players any good, and no prospects.

And their first round pick this year belongs to Arizona.  Maybe get their 2023 first for Depietro?  

DiPietro isn't worth anything approaching a first. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Habs need a young goalie.  Depietro to the Habs for what though?  They’ve got no young players any good, and no prospects.

And their first round pick this year belongs to Arizona.  Maybe get their 2023 first for Depietro?  

Alf, 

I think it’s more likely Halak is being sought to fix the hole that Price to Edmonton and the cap of Kosikin.. Sp? back with the sending some proceeds to taking Edmontons future away from them while they fix the same hole it’s always been, goal, since Smith was good before he went to Calgary.  

It’s a serious problem and I don’t think we got the bad GM from the Bruins from the time they beat us in the finals with like the worst refs in the finals since the time messier broke Linden’s ribs in game six… oh $&!#, sorry, started ranting again…. 

but yes Mikey needs a room, here or in Montreal… but if it’s Montreal, the Price is an oil and it’s Halak going back, unless after the deck chairs in Edmonton are re arranged, then Mikey ends up in Montreal in the wake of the goalie shuffle that always takes place when a big goalie is traded, which has to happen because Kosk… sp? got such a terrible deal for showing no work..

that has crippled Edmonton and thank goodness we got JB instead of the guy Edmonton got..

Phats

9 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

It’s one game, and you’re ready to make Halak expendable? 

Martin had a good game tonight, but it’s one game. I think there’s a reason for why he’s been a lifer in the AHL. 

Halak’s a great back up. If anything, Boudreau needs to give him a few more starts

Halak, is a one year rental and if there is a buyer - they should sell.  There is also, the bonus that kicks in when he plays his 10th game. 

Martin has holes, in his game and it showed in the shootout, but based, on last nights game - he can be a capable back up, if supported by the right team strategy, the Canucks can still be competitive. Plus, it will give Dipietro the net in Abby, to play more in preparation - to hopefully, take the backup role next year ?

40 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Alf, 

I think it’s more likely Halak is being sought to fix the hole that Price to Edmonton and the cap of Kosikin.. Sp? back with the sending some proceeds to taking Edmontons future away from them while they fix the same hole it’s always been, goal, since Smith was good before he went to Calgary.  

It’s a serious problem and I don’t think we got the bad GM from the Bruins from the time they beat us in the finals with like the worst refs in the finals since the time messier broke Linden’s ribs in game six… oh $&!#, sorry, started ranting again…. 

but yes Mikey needs a room, here or in Montreal… but if it’s Montreal, the Price is an oil and it’s Halak going back, unless after the deck chairs in Edmonton are re arranged, then Mikey ends up in Montreal in the wake of the goalie shuffle that always takes place when a big goalie is traded, which has to happen because Kosk… sp? got such a terrible deal for showing no work..

that has crippled Edmonton and thank goodness we got JB instead of the guy Edmonton got..

Phats

Montreal has zero need for Depietro. They have Primeau, who is a highly touted young goalie.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Halak, is a one year rental and if there is a buyer - they should sell.  There is also, the bonus that kicks in when he plays his 10th game. 

Martin has holes, in his game and it showed in the shootout, but based, on last nights game - he can be a capable back up, if supported by the right team strategy, the Canucks can still be competitive. Plus, it will give Dipietro the net in Abby, to play more in preparation - to hopefully, take the backup role next year ?

Halak has a full NMC, ultimately he decides if and where he’s willing to be traded 

25 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Halak has a full NMC, ultimately he decides if and where he’s willing to be traded 

Halak has a history in Montreal. If I was him I would jump at Edmonton. He would be #1 and have a chance to led them out of the desert.

53 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

I’m not sold on DiPietro. Benning’s management team really screwed him over by placing him on the taxi squad last season. I’m hopeful that he’ll develop properly still, but what do I know about professional development in sports. I’m just a fan. 

Halak holds all the cards here doesn’t he? The team cannot trade him unless he waives his no-trade clause. Why did Benning give him that? And why did Benning also give him the 1.5M bonus? Some of these decisions by him just sometimes make you scratch your head sometimes. Even though he’s no longer the GM here, his previous moves when he was here, still haunts this team today. I get it that no GM is perfect, and every GM will make mistakes. But it seems like Benning has made too many errors that have put this franchise in a difficult position moving forward. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Halak has a history in Montreal. If I was him I would jump at Edmonton. He would be #1 and have a chance to led them out of the desert.

EDM bound.  Cuz everyone wants to play with McJesus.

:P

10 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Great to see Martin step up to the occasion but come on…

Halak gives us a much better chance to win night in and night out. The team isn’t going to play that well defensively every night. Halak can keep us in it on those nights.

Hopefully he’s back tomorrow and is cleared to play Sunday.

12 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

It’s one game, and you’re ready to make Halak expendable? 

Martin had a good game tonight, but it’s one game. I think there’s a reason for why he’s been a lifer in the AHL. 

Halak’s a great back up. If anything, Boudreau needs to give him a few more starts

While I agree some are probably being over confident on Martin, how many more games is our backup going to play this season, maybe 5?

I'm not sure Martin couldn't at least give us passable net minding for 5 piddly games.... And in all likelihood, the trading team would be sending back they're backup anyway. For instance PIT and DeSmith. Demko, DeSmith and Martin for G depth the rest of the season, to add an asset AND get rid of the extra $1.5m hit next year... We'd be silly not to IMO.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

While I agree some are probably being over confident on Martin, how many more games is our backup going to play this season, maybe 5?

I'm not sure Martin couldn't at least give us passable net minding for 5 piddly games.... And in all likelihood, the trading team would be sending back they're backup anyway. For instance PIT and DeSmith. Demko, DeSmith and Martin for G depth the rest of the season, to add an asset AND get rid of the extra $1.5m hit next year... We'd be silly not to IMO.

With 42 games left in a compressed schedule with 7 back to backs left I  expect the backup to get more than 5 starts.  I’d guess 10+. Then factor in possible COVID games missed.  I guarantee  you the backup sees more then 5 starts 

Edited by qwijibo

22 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

With 42 games left in a compressed schedule with 7 back to backs left I  expect the backup to get more than 5 starts.  I’d guess 10+. Then factor in possible COVID games missed.  I guarantee  you the backup sees more then 5 starts 

Sure. 10+/- doesn't change my feelings on that overall premise. I'm not scared of playing whichever backup comes in, DeSmith or otherwise, with Martin as backup to the backup for ten'ish games either. 

Gain the assets, clear the $1.5, focus on our contention window.

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Figured Halak wouldn't go anywhere

So it sounds like we'll have a minimum of 3.9M in dead cap next season between Halak, Holtby, and Virtanen unless we manage to free up cap space this season 

wouldn't the bonus go with Halak if we move him at the TDL?