The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks trying to trade Halak

6 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yeah, he seems to had been burnt out long time ago cause the way he had built his roster around McD & Drais, has been underwhelming.   

In his presser he basically said that they have to build around the prospects and young players they currently have in their system.

Thats all well and good but in the meantIme you have two of the best players in the world in their prime growing more and more frustrated by the season. They’re not going to be patient until guys like Broberg or Bourgault or Savoie are ready.

Holland is completely misjudging his timeline. They’re not in a position where they should be plugging in vets till their prospects are ready. They need to be contending now or bye bye McDavid.

Edited by DeNiro

11 hours ago, Bertorama said:

What about Halak to Edmonton for a top 9 forward. I feel like Jesse Puljujarvi or Yamamoto would be a nice addition to top three lines. 

Please explain your thoughts on how Halak has equal value to Jesse Puljujarvi……

Personally, I see a 23 year old kid with a BIG frame, who has been figuring out how to play a power style game.  
10 goals, 25 points in 33 games. +6

Still an RFA after this season. 
 Compared to Halak

Halak is a 36 year old back up with a bonus structure that adds 1.5 mill to next year when he won’t even be playing for you. 
He has played ok in front of a garbage team. 
He might be better than their current trash. 

Halak could be had for a 3rd.

Edmonton wouldn’t take our 1st for Poolparty

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

In his presser he basically said that they have to build around the prospects and young players they currently have in their system.

Thats all well and good but in the meantIme you have two of the best players in the world in their prime growing more and more frustrated by the season. They’re not going to be patient until guys like Broberg or Bourgault or Savoie are ready.

Holland is completely misjudging his timeline. They’re not in a position where they should be plugging in vets till their prospects are ready. They need to be contending now or bye bye McDavid.

Hollands' conundrum, of having to overpay for complementary players to keep the team competitive [or keep McD & Drais happy], while there prospects continue there development.   JB got the Canucks, in the same situation by trading the last two first round picks - which has now created a prospect void or a cheap transition point when the gamble with the current core fails. 

Imo, JR said all the right things, in terms of the Canucks time line and I would like to see, his crew develope a pragmatic transition plan, when a core starts to get stale.   Tampa with Yzerman, created a workable transition plan by - first - focusing on there, off ice leadership group; and when the core gets stale, they sell off & start focusing on the lottery.  It also helps, that there team are able to find a gem in every draft, to fill there roster with cheap - but effective - complementary players, that will eventually, be a part of the young core.

These next two drafts, will give JR & crew a chance to fill the important holes in the roster cheaply.   

Edited by ShawnAntoski

15 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

Personally, I see a 23 year old kid with a BIG frame, who has been figuring out how to play a power style game.  

Compared to Halak

Halak is a 36 year old back up with a bonus structure that adds 1.5 mill to next year when he won’t even be playing for you. 

The Soilers can keep Poolparty.  He is craperolla.  Their team is stinkaroo.  

Halak to the Coil for their unprotected (2022) first plus Tyler Bennet.  

2 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

JB got the Canucks, in the same situation by trading the last two first round picks - which has now created a prospect void or a cheap transition point when the gamble with the current core fails. 

20th overall in a weak draft for JT Miller created a prospect void? Boo hoo!

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Hollands' conundrum, of having to overpay for complementary players to keep the team competitive [or keep McD & Drais happy], while there prospects continue there development.   JB got the Canucks, in the same situation by trading the last two first round picks - which has now created a prospect void or a cheap transition point when the gamble with the current core fails. 

Imo, JR said all the right things, in terms of the Canucks time line and I would like to see, his crew develope a pragmatic transition plan, when a core starts to get stale.   Tampa with Yzerman, created a workable transition plan by - first - focusing on there, off ice leadership group; and when the core gets stale, they sell off & start focusing on the lottery.  It also helps, that there team are able to find a gem in every draft, to fill there roster with cheap - but effective - complementary players, that will eventually, be a part of the young core.

These next two drafts, will give JR & crew a chance to fill the important holes in the roster cheaply.   

Would help if the Basic Tax rate in BC/ Canada was 10% or less like it is in Florida.

Kind of hard to compare or compete when a player or person can save 40% or more of his earnings.

The only thing that’s going to change that type of bonus for playing in those states that taxes are less is Climate change, erosion, and storms blowing those arenas off the maps.

I was talking to a friend who lives in North Carolina,.  her taxes are 22% of her earnings.

To the best of my knowledge most of the U.S. is like that.

Theres no reason in this country that a flat tax of 25 % would not work,.  And probably stimulate growth in this country by the same amount.

The more money each of us have in our pocket is money going back into the economy to stimulate growth and employment,. Which could equate to more taxes actually transferring to the country out of that.

High taxes means Having to save earnings,

That is squandering.

stimulates nothing.

There are Teams that take full advantage of how less taxes effect the organization and players…. It only compounds and appreciates being paid USD in a U.S. State.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

Compared to Halak

But,.   Goalie desperation is real desperation.

15 hours ago, Bertorama said:

What about Halak to Edmonton for a top 9 forward. I feel like Jesse Puljujarvi or Yamamoto would be a nice addition to top three lines. 

Why not go all in?

Pettersson

DiPietro

Woo

For

Draisatl 10% retained

4 hours ago, coryberg said:

20th overall in a weak draft for JT Miller created a prospect void? Boo hoo!

You don't know, how that prospect will develope, in the Jersey system but you miss my point.  Not criticizing having Miller, in the team and just conversating about the timing of the move and based, on JRs' comment in the presser - he doesn't agree, with some of JBs' all in move - due to where he thinks the roster is, in terms of the competitive cycle.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

13 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

You don't know, how that prospect will develope, in the Jersey system but you miss my point.  Not criticizing having Miller, in the team and just conversating about the timing of the move.

You would hope that the 20th overall pick would become half of what Miller is now. Benning hit good on the Miller trade as you could potentially flip Miller after having his best years and get way more than what you gave up. Same goes for getting Garland! I’d be happy if the 9th overall turned out to be as good as Garland because sometimes they turn out like Virtanen etc. The trades that hurt are ones like Toffoli. Where you trade futures for 14 games of a guy. Not re-signing Toffoli sucked because he was great for us and his deal wasn’t even that pricey.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

You would hope that the 20th overall pick would become half of what Miller is now. Benning hit good on the Miller trade as you could potentially flip Miller after having his best years and get way more than what you gave up. Same goes for getting Garland! I’d be happy if the 9th overall turned out to be as good as Garland because sometimes they turn out like Virtanen etc. The trades that hurt are ones like Toffoli. Where you trade futures for 14 games of a guy. Not re-signing Toffoli sucked because he was great for us and his deal wasn’t even that pricey.

Good points, I was just discussing it from a transitional POV - just in case, the gamble with this core goes south.   Preferably, not losing the teams 1st round pick - two years in a row, would had been ideal cause it will eventually create a hole in the prospect pool for cheap & talented players; but I do understand with context, that JB & Aquaman chose to go all in, with this core but JR doesn't seem to agree based on what he said, in his presser.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Still doesn't mean they need to retain anything on Draisaitl. Every team in the league would salivate at the mouth for a chance to add him to their team.

I know

If we could keep miller and add him for Pettersson a goalie and d prospect I'd jump

• Like 1