The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks trying to trade Halak

5 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

Yeah, but not like that it’s not.   
And not for Halak. 
They could do A LOT better if dangling Poolparty

He (Jesse P) would do well in Chicago .… and Fluery I’m sure would be ecstatic about playing in Canada.

Then move Hyman for a legit D,.  I think Klingberg is a rental this year ?

E Kane would likely replace the void on offence.

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

unless you are adding a legit #1 goalie or a legit #1 Dman u ain't even in the convo as a starting point

Probably fair, considering Draistl is one of the premier players in the league. 

Edmonton would be asking for the moon for Drai, and they should, because he’s a superstar in the league.

13 hours ago, SilentSam said:

He (Jesse P) would do well in Chicago .… and Fluery I’m sure would be ecstatic about playing in Canada.

Then move Hyman for a legit D,.  I think Klingberg is a rental this year ?

E Kane would likely replace the void on offence.

Hyman has negative value with that contract. Very good player now at 29, but he's got 6 more years after this one at $5.5M. He's had injury trouble, and probably won't age well into his mid-30s. And he has a full NMC until he's 34.

Even if he agreed to move, most GMs wouldn't touch that contract.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, D-Money said:

Hyman has negative value with that contract. Very good player now at 29, but he's got 6 more years after this one at $5.5M. He's had injury trouble, and probably won't age well into his mid-30s. And he has a full NMC until he's 34.

Even if he agreed to move, most GMs wouldn't touch that contract.

Best way for the Soilers to stop stinking so bad is to trade McDavid.  The return could be a goalie, D, and futures.  Leon and RNH play their 1 and 2 centres.  

52 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Martin or whoever, with Boudreaus' coaching had made Halak expendable.

It’s one game, and you’re ready to make Halak expendable? 

Martin had a good game tonight, but it’s one game. I think there’s a reason for why he’s been a lifer in the AHL. 

Halak’s a great back up. If anything, Boudreau needs to give him a few more starts

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

It’s one game, and you’re ready to make Halak expendable? 

Martin had a good game tonight, but it’s one game. I think there’s a reason for why he’s been a lifer in the AHL. 

Halak’s a great back up. If anything, Boudreau needs to give him a few more starts

A couple more starts and Halak will get his $1.5M bonus.  That will count against next years cap cuz bonuses cannot be paid out through LTIR (or something like that).

Great to see Martin step up to the occasion but come on…

Halak gives us a much better chance to win night in and night out. The team isn’t going to play that well defensively every night. Halak can keep us in it on those nights.

Hopefully he’s back tomorrow and is cleared to play Sunday.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, BPA said:

A couple more starts and Halak will get his $1.5M bonus.  That will count against next years cap cuz bonuses cannot be paid out through LTIR (or something like that).

It’s not really Bruce’s issue though. His concern is to ice the best possible team on any given night to have the greatest chance to win. If that means Halak starts, then Halak starts. 

The bonus issues has to do with management - That’s Jim Rutherford’s issues/challenge. 

And isn’t Halak only signed to this year? 

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Great to see Martin step up to the occasion but come on…

Halak gives us a much better chance to win night in and night out. The team isn’t going to play that well defensively every night. Halak can keep us in it on those nights.

Hopefully he’s back tomorrow and is cleared to play Sunday.

Does anyone know if he’s back in Van tomorrow? If not, then looks like it could be Martin again

Wouldn’t like my chances against St. Louis. 

14 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

It’s not really Bruce’s issue though. His concern is to ice the best possible team on any given night to have the greatest chance to win. If that means Halak starts, then Halak starts. 

The bonus issues has to do with management - That’s Jim Rutherford’s issues/challenge. 

And isn’t Halak only signed to this year? 

Yes Halak is just signed for this year.  But that bonus will still count for next year.  Basically $1.5M cap space gone next year.  Add to that with JV and Holtby buyout, then it’s a total of $3.9M of wasted cap space.  Thankfully, Luongo recapture penalty is over by then.

Unfortunately they still have to deal with Ferland on LTIR for one more year (next season).

1 minute ago, BPA said:

Yes Halak is just signed for this year.  But that bonus will still count for next year.  Basically $1.5M cap space gone next year.  Add to that with JV and Holtby buyout, then it’s a total of $3.9M of wasted cap space.  Thankfully, Luongo recapture penalty is over by then.

Unfortunately they still have to deal with Ferland on LTIR for one more year (next season).

Wow. Bad deals of the Benning era continue to haunt this franchise even after he’s gone. 

6 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Wow. Bad deals of the Benning era continue to haunt this franchise even after he’s gone. 

To be fair. Structuring the deal like that was likely the inky way to sign Halak this year.  They didn’t have the cap space to just give him the $3m outright. Halak did the team a favour by accepting the easily attained  bonus laden contract. People should try to remember that 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, BPA said:

With the performance of Martin, in very big game for the team and the fans, the result is respectable and I think Knight stole a game for Florida in a solid and matched level of play with excellent goal tending.  

What I thought he did better that most goalies in this one game, even NHL level is take away the bottom of the net.  I don’t see many people physically able to be that flexible and it’s notable.  

He seems remarkably mentally steady, in speaking, but he is raw in ways I think Clark can address readily.  With 3 solid prospects in the system in net and the stellar Number 1 net minder fully able to carry the games and the pressure, well that’s pressure from within to trade a goalie.

Either trade MD or Halak.  

1.  Dipietro, (sp? Dyslexic so a giant shrug of the shoulders to the spelling police) while having some regression, is not getting the number one net time with the crowded situation in goal after being a stellar guy last year during Covid on the taxi squad.  

Dipietro earned a role in Abbey and he has been crowed out by the addition of Martin.   That’s okay, but also Halak.  

and the other guy.  

so for opportunity and playing time, he is being stunted so make room or trade him to someone who will play him.  

That the club is making trade rumours is a good thing for the club, it makes it understandable why a Bonus was included to kick in and it’s highly likely this was a pre agreed decision point that Halak and his agent were okay with.  

Jim Rutherford is not subject contracts JB signed so can move assets and saving 1.5 on the cap is always good when your handicapped… lol puns.. by a 3 million dollar cap penalty by the guy being groomed for the GM job for the visiting team last night… 

what a gong show the NHL rules are?  

Sorry, ranting a bit…. I won’t bring up the Finals vs Bruins and of Rangers… Messier.. dammit, I can’t stop, &^@#ing, Dreger and Nonuts and the Eastern Media double standard… eme,bee when Burke was indicating to the Sedins that TO was willing to sign them and then his coach either was a dummy, or a decent guy and tipped the play…. Or when Messier Broke Lindens Ribs in the Cup Final in 1994 in Game six, got away with it, and Linden scored 2 goals in Game 7 and then the club signed messier and made Linden give messier the C… 

Oh and our development system for decades… 

which gets me back on my point, 

we aren’t used to having a productive farmer system, making some positions expendable or it even almost a fiduciary duty to the club, the prospects and the Vet player to improve the club or the system.  

so someone has to to go in net.  

ones about to cost 1.5 million more and has a stellar back up record.  

this is  a guy who teams going deep want as a back up if they have any concerns about said position, or for a team maybe considering capitalizing on the terrible situation in Edmonton. 

How many times has Holland called Rutherford already about a goalie deal?  Or any other GM with any depth or quality net minders they could acquire that are lost cost additions, cause Holland doesn’t have a lot of spare cap space to work with.  

Do we have a need to make space in goal, yes,  good because for the wrong reasons Edmonton has to seriously fix their net in the inverse need for making space in goal.  

Does anyone want to play the goalie they get back in exchange from Edmonton?  Questionable… 

So the desire for a depth goalie make have a peak in the Market at the same exact time Halak has come up for a 1.5 mil bonus and the is a crowd in Abbey with 3 good prospect goalies.  

Mikey is already well liked in the NHL dressing room, looks like Martin is going to be as liked or more and the team really showed with a committed game in front of Martin.  

Could Martin use some time with Clark to fully coach and max his game, I vote yes.  

Does Mikey need playing time to not be stunted, same with Silvos and Martin, yes!

Let’s move Halak for a Kings ransom in value straight to Edmonton.  &^@# it, they need a break and it would drive me nuts to see them get another 1st &^@#ing round pick.  

It’s like seeing a person you really hate, but would want maimed or anything about to be gored by bull during the running of the bulls in Spain… it’s happened 5 previous times and the person just keeps tripping at the start line, getting hit by every bull, so it’s really bad.. so after that, do you then profit from saving him this time, it’s like that… 

I say yes.. be a hero and possibly, just save the team for a year, maybe two… it’s not going fix Edmonton, they may not be able to fix this season, but they have to try and Halak has the short term bandaid solution all over him.  

We take a prospect, even Broberg and save the cap… WTF cares it’s house money.. 

and or a conditional pick if the oils make the playoffs… Yada yada… 

or someone else takes Holland to the bank and Holland gladly overpays… 

anything to provide a legitimate goalie, then Halak can be traded to the team that takes Edmontons bad goalie back to be insurance to their fans… cough Montreal… cough… 

So that’s my take, Martin has great first viewing potential in ways I haven’t seen often in the NHL with his low net take away abilities and has a very thoughtful chill easy person yo get along with and deal with Vancouver Media and pressure better than Mikey at this point.. 

Mikey and Silvos are more than enough for Abbey and all three young players need ice time, especially Mikey after his time with the club.  Here or elsewhere.  

That the media are saying Halak means Rutherford is happy with the development of players from within the system… credit to JB, where it is due.  

That’s a good thing for a team on a roll with one of the God Father GM’s of the league who is far nicer to deal with than Lamorilo and not named Bowman.  

So that’s a really good thing for us fans… Rutherford likes our goal tenders enough to trade our Back up in favour of a rookie when we are in the hunt for a play off spot..  it’s not JB… it’s Rutherford… 

We just aren’t used to a GM making things better for his successor in Vancouver very often…. 

Phats. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

With the performance of Martin, in very big game for the team and the fans, the result is respectable and I think Knight stole a game for Florida in a solid and matched level of play with excellent goal tending.  

What I thought he did better that most goalies in this one game, even NHL level is take away the bottom of the net.  I don’t see many people physically able to be that flexible and it’s notable.  

He seems remarkably mentally steady, in speaking, but he is raw in ways I think Clark can address readily.  With 3 solid prospects in the system in net and the stellar Number 1 net minder fully able to carry the games and the pressure, well that’s pressure from within to trade a goalie.

1.  Dipietro, (sp? Dyslexic so a giant shrug of the shoulders to the spelling police) while having some regression, is not getting the number one net time with the crowded situation in goal after being a stellar guy last year during Covid on the taxi squad.  

Dipietro earned a role in Abbey and he has been crowed out by the addition of Martin.   That’s okay, but also Halak.  

and the other guy.  

so for opportunity and playing time, he is being stunted so make room or trade him to someone who will play him.  

That the club is making trade rumours is a good thing for the club, it makes it understandable why a Bonus was included to kick in and it’s highly likely this was a pre agreed decision point that Halak and his agent were okay with.  

Jim Rutherford is not subject contracts JB signed so can move assets and saving 1.5 on the cap is always good when your handicapped… lol puns.. by a 3 million dollar cap penalty by the guy being groomed for the GM job for the visiting team last night… 

Sorry, ranting a bit…. I won’t bring up the Finals vs Bruins and of Rangers… Messier.. dammit, I can’t stop, &^@#ing, Dreger and Nonuts and the Eastern Media double standard… eme,bee when Burke was indicating to the Sedins that TO was willing to sign them and then his coach either was a dummy, or a decent guy and tipped the play…. Or when Messier Broke Lindens Ribs in the Cup Final in 1994 in Game six, got away with it, and Linden scored 2 goals in Game 7 and then the club signed messier and made Linden give messier the C… 

we aren’t used to having a productive farmer system, making some positions expendable or it even almost a fiduciary duty to the club, the prospects and the Vet player to improve the club or the system.  

this is  a guy who teams going deep want as a back up if they have any concerns about said position, or for a team maybe considering capitalizing on the terrible situation in Edmonton. 

How many times has Holland called Rutherford already about a goalie deal?  Or any other GM with any depth or quality net minders they could acquire that are lost cost additions, cause Holland doesn’t have a lot of spare cap space to work with.  

Do we have a need to make space in goal, yes,  good because for the wrong reasons Edmonton has to seriously fix their net in the inverse need for making space in goal.  

Does anyone want to play the goalie they get back in exchange from Edmonton?  Questionable… 

So the desire for a depth goalie make have a peak in the Market at the same exact time Halak has come up for a 1.5 mil bonus and the is a crowd in Abbey with 3 good prospect goalies.  

Mikey is already well liked in the NHL dressing room, looks like Martin is going to be as liked or more and the team really showed with a committed game in front of Martin.  

Could Martin use some time with Clark to fully coach and max his game, I vote yes.  

Does Mikey need playing time to not be stunted, same with Silvos and Martin, yes!

Let’s move Halak for a Kings ransom in value straight to Edmonton.  &^@# it, they need a break and it would drive me nuts to see them get another 1st &^@#ing round pick.  

It’s like seeing a person you really hate, but would want maimed or anything about to be gored by bull during the running of the bulls in Spain… it’s happened 5 previous times and the person just keeps tripping at the start line, getting hit by every bull, so it’s really bad.. so after that, do you then profit from saving him this time, it’s like that… 

I say yes.. be a hero and possibly, just save the team for a year, maybe two… it’s not going fix Edmonton, they may not be able to fix this season, but they have to try and Halak has the short term bandaid solution all over him.  

anything to provide a legitimate goalie, then Halak can be traded to the team that takes Edmontons bad goalie back to be insurance to their fans… cough Montreal… cough… 

So that’s my take, Martin has great first viewing potential in ways I haven’t seen often in the NHL with his low net take away abilities and has a very thoughtful chill easy person yo get along with and deal with Vancouver Media and pressure better than Mikey at this point.. 

Mikey and Silvos are more than enough for Abbey and all three young players need ice time, especially Mikey after his time with the club.  Here or elsewhere.  

That the media are saying Halak means Rutherford is happy with the development of players from within the system… credit to JB, where it is due.  

That’s a good thing for a team on a roll with one of the God Father GM’s of the league who is far nicer to deal with than Lamorilo and not named Bowman.  

So that’s a really good thing for us fans… Rutherford likes our goal tenders enough to trade our Back up in favour of a rookie when we are in the hunt for a play off spot..  it’s not JB… it’s Rutherford… 

We just aren’t used to a GM making things better for his successor in Vancouver very often…. 

Phats. 

Hey Phats!

See you got them fingers fly'n this morning.

Oh yeah, good post!

Random things to Know About Gamers - listseed

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

and the other guy.  

Phats. 

Habs need a young goalie.  Depietro to the Habs for what though?  They’ve got no young players any good, and no prospects.

And their first round pick this year belongs to Arizona.  Maybe get their 2023 first for Depietro?