The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] John Klingberg requests trade

26 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

What are the Avs without Makar and Byram? My hope for Rathbone is that he can be comparable to Byram if developed properly. I understand that every player is tradeable and it is all about what comes back.

Nothing against Rathbone but his ceiling is no where near that of Byram.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, GB5 said:

Nothing against Rathbone but his ceiling is no where near that of Byram.

I am a Canuck fan so I dream the dream. Rathbone doesn't have Byram's size either. I was hoping that Rathbone's lateral movement would give him a boost into the NHL. Byram looks really good in the 2 games I have watched. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, mll said:

Per Marek he was looking for an 8 year deal at around 63M.  

Brutal. 

I'm actually of the mindset that defensemen age much later then forwards.  After watching someone like Jeff Petry and Mark Giordano have career years at 34 and 36 years old, I'm less concerned about getting older d-men (so no reservations about OEL's deal).  

I just don't like that he'd want 7.5 mil/year. I've mentioned this before but to me Hughes and OEL are both better d-men then Klingberg.  I don't think that he deserves much more then 6 mil/year and that's on a more reasonable 5 or 6 year deal.  

12 hours ago, mll said:

Per Marek he was looking for an 8 year deal at around 63M.  

this could work out in Vancouver's favour, if we wanted to target him. He clearly needs to come down to earth a bit on his ask, if other teams only offer something in the 6's he might then choose based on where he wants to play vs. just salary. 

We'd have to likely move Myers to accommodate him tho, so that would be a pretty big decision. 

3 hours ago, JM_ said:

this could work out in Vancouver's favour, if we wanted to target him. He clearly needs to come down to earth a bit on his ask, if other teams only offer something in the 6's he might then choose based on where he wants to play vs. just salary. 

We'd have to likely move Myers to accommodate him tho, so that would be a pretty big decision. 

Myers is more physicall - not consistently, but when he is - vs Klingberg, but no doubt in my mind that Klingberg is a far superior player in almost all other aspects. I watched DAL vs PIT and no way DAL turns around and wins that game without Klingberg (who was actually much better than Heiskanen in this particular game). Not sure if he's worth 7 mil+ long term but I would definitely want him on our team right now.

That said - with where we're at and with what JR seems intent to do, Klingberg probably is not in the picture short term or long term.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, J-P said:

Myers is more physicall - not consistently, but when he is - vs Klingberg, but no doubt in my mind that Klingberg is a far superior player in almost all other aspects. I watched DAL vs PIT and no way DAL turns around and wins that game without Klingberg (who was actually much better than Heiskanen in this particular game). Not sure if he's worth 7 mil+ long term but I would definitely want him on our team right now.

That said - with where we're at and with what JR seems intent to do, Klingberg probably is not in the picture short term or long term.

I've always liked watching Klingberg, in fact he's one of the few Dallas key players that don't make me want to hurl. 

He'd have to be convinced to come here for something in the 6's. Is that likely? probably not, unless he gets to talk to other teams and finds out thats his ceiling from every other team. 

I think we could replace Myers physical play with guys on our 3rd pairing, but I do like him too. 

5 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I've always liked watching Klingberg, in fact he's one of the few Dallas key players that don't make me want to hurl. 

Most of their young guys, Hintz, Heiskanen, Robertson etc are pretty good...