The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Florida Panthers | Jan. 11, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

I want Jiricek so bad...

If we do end up moving Miller for 'Schneiders and firsts', and we aren't already picking in Jiricek territory by way of our natural season finish, I'd be tempted to package both firsts to try to move up for him (if he'd just quit moving up rankings!). He's so much of what we need...Imagine a future D of:

Hughes, Schneider/Jiricek

Rathbone, Schneider/Jiricek

OEL, Woo

Yes please. Mobile, plenty of offensive options, good size and speed throughout.

Nemec would be great too but unless we land 3-5 is even less likely/unattainable.

That potentially looks like a solid, well-balanced D-core. I am a fan of having puck-moving D and physical defensive D. With potentially a top 2 RD that can do it all with a world class elite puck-moving D in Hughes.

With a forward group mostly cemented, especially after potentially another elite forward in 2023 draft. Imagine if we'd then lucked out and got Bedard or Michkov.... Oooh baby. That's wishful thinking though. Probably go into the 2030s still competing. Nevertheless if we can solve our future D and build a great prospect pool we'd be set long-term.

I dunno if I would use both 1sts to move up(depends what other pick or prospect we'd get back as well) given the deep draft, personally speaking, but I feel you. The potential surrounding Jiricek is exciting. Nemec looks like a sure fire top 4 D at least. Maybe a Josi-like top 2 D.

Should be interesting to see how the next month pans out considering what Rutherford has stated in regards of potential trades and wanting to get younger. Given these next 2 drafts and having a lot of young core players already it isn't a bad idea. Pacific and wildcard races are close. We're in the wild wild west. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

I think you're getting hung up on the shots too much, Natural Stat Trick had the scoring chance totals at 40-to-37 for the Panthers. So while we outshot them, they outchanced us. I'd argue they actually had better chances than we did from the second period onward despite getting fewer actual shots on net. Sure, Demko needed to be better, but I think you're glossing over how good our competition was. They're literally the top team in the league right now. 

Blame Demko, sure, but if you're going to blame him blame the guys who got caught breaking down defensively in front of him too. Hoglander sure had himself a rough outing. And don't just lay blame, credit the opponent. Top teams are going to do top team things, and Florida's got some of the top players in the league on their roster. 

That doesn't even consider the fact of the long layoff 9 days in between game dates and Demko only playing 4 games in the last 26 days. 

Anyone can see that the benefit of the doubt can be granted here.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, JM_ said:

I think that every culture :lol: 

I don't mean to pick on @Nuxfanabroad either. 

Yeah, couldn't reply Jimmy, as I was just setting off for a morning ride. I never paid too much attn to the 'kinky' stuff goin on in these parts. Was just too stunned at the gorgeous babes an avg bloke(like yers truly) could date/hook up with, my first yr here. I don't really think it's still THAT amazing - times have changed, & it's half a lifetime back.

But whatever a guy & gal gets down to - ferGawdsakes get a private room & some principles, eh?!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

17 hours ago, Mj2345 said:

I hope EP40 can get it going soon, just needs a goal or two on the trip and he’ll be back

Aquaman had a meeting with petey! Saying we are on a silent tank. Don't play to hard and risk Injuries.  Play enough to get by this season so we can be in top 10 draft. We will start playing next year. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, aznmonk said:

Aquaman had a meeting with petey! Saying we are on a silent tank. Don't play to hard and risk Injuries.  Play enough to get by this season so we can be in top 10 draft. We will start playing next year. 

More like "get us to the playoffs and i will add a nice penthouse to your portfolio as a gift"....

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

More like "get us to the playoffs and i will add a nice penthouse to your portfolio as a gift"....

I think Petey is still very upset with seeing Marky, Tanev, and Tofoli not getting re-signed.  In that dinner meeting Aquiline was likely trying to explain about the business aspect of the team, and that he just couldn’t afford to keep certain costs during a time of no fans.  

12 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I think you're getting hung up on the shots too much, Natural Stat Trick had the scoring chance totals at 40-to-37 for the Panthers. So while we outshot them, they outchanced us. I'd argue they actually had better chances than we did from the second period onward despite getting fewer actual shots on net. Sure, Demko needed to be better, but I think you're glossing over how good our competition was. They're literally the top team in the league right now. 

Blame Demko, sure, but if you're going to blame him blame the guys who got caught breaking down defensively in front of him too. Hoglander sure had himself a rough outing. And don't just lay blame, credit the opponent. Top teams are going to do top team things, and Florida's got some of the top players in the league on their roster. 

Agreed.

I liked our game and our shots.

I would actually raise an eyebrow that we were that close in chances. I felt they out-chanced us in a dominant way.

And Demko wasn't as good as the rest of the team for maybe the first time this year - but I felt we were just solidly beaten by a better team.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I think Petey is still very upset with seeing Marky, Tanev, and Tofoli not getting re-signed.  In that dinner meeting Aquiline was likely trying to explain about the business aspect of the team, and that he just couldn’t afford to keep certain costs during a time of no fans.  

Well considering they spend to the cap all the time, even during a rebuild which could have given them an advantage on tanking and a better draft spot "to be competitive enough to lose our best odds at drafting first overall"  - think the conversation would have been more about this " yeah we could have kept your pals but that would have meant we'd have to traded you.   Now we are thinking we made a mistake".   Alf i like your post but i don't think EP gives two sh!ts about losing Markstrom, Tanev or TT.     What he probably is concerned about right now, was that he didn't sign a long term deal - because the next ones shaking up to be under 4.     We have 3/4 liners scoring at a better points per sixty 5 x 5.   Two goals and 3 assists in 35 games is just dumfounding.  

8 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Yeah, couldn't reply Jimmy, as I was just setting off for a morning ride. I never paid too much attn to the 'kinky' stuff goin on in these parts. Was just too stunned at the gorgeous babes an avg bloke(like yers truly) could date/hook up with, my first yr here. I don't really think it's still THAT amazing - times have changed, & it's half a lifetime back.

But whatever a guy & gal gets down to - ferGawdsakes get a private room & some principles, eh?!

Yep... they're trash...

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Nah.... I think he misses Player name...............................:bigblush:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I really don't think that's it, Alf.  I can't see him dwelling on that to the extent that he can't play.  If who's in the room impacts his performance, that's something pretty significant but I can't see it being the case.  Petey's a competitor and loves to win...I think that's his driving force more than who's sitting beside him.  He's been overthinking things since coming back from injury.  It's not coming naturally at the moment.

Other teams honed in on him and his game was no longer effective as he was targeted, hard.  Takes a lot of abuse and, although he stands up to it, he doesn't have a forceful pushback as a deterrent.  He's just not strong enough to contend with some of it.  Huggy, for instance, is very slick and will skate his way out of trouble but Petey engages and often loses those puck battles.  He tries to stand his ground and it's not working.   He's just.....off.  The game isn't come as easily to him as it once was.

It's just a matter of finding some success and generating some momentum.  He's in his own head and just needs to work through that.  The good thing is we have others who have drawn some attention to themselves and Petey's no longer the primary focus like he was before.  He has more room to work with and just has to find the net again.  I think he will.  Just keep at it.  

Here's a comment I saw that someone else has made that really hits the nail on the head (better than how I've tried to say it):

What makes Petey a great hockey player is his hockey sense. When confidence is low it hinders what's most important to him as a hockey player. We saw Boudreau at practice praising Petey's work ethic of late. He understands Petey needs to know his hard work will pay off.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

EP: "I miss my friends so I'm going to suck so that I lose out on millions of dollars of future earnings."

True story. I heard him say that in that dinner meeting.