The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks getting calls on Conor Garland

Just now, HKSR said:

Based on what I hear from people on here, it sounds like 4 to 5 years from now, so we might as well trade Bo and Miller too.

I don’t think it would take that long.

Clarke and Turcotte are close. We could do a pretty quick retool with them not unlike what LA did with their vets still making an impact.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Based on what I hear from people on here, it sounds like 4 to 5 years from now, so we might as well trade Bo and Miller too.

Iirc, both Bo and Petey have already publicly said (or implied) that they don't want to be part of a rebuild. I don't think JT has said anything about it, but based on his hyper-competitive nature, he'd also not want to be part of that. 

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Clarke and Turcotte are close. We could do a pretty quick retool with them not unlike what LA did with their vets still making an impact.

Would be nice to see Turcotte and especially Clarke in Canucks colours... but man Garland would be a pain to play against.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Who’s it for? Garland for Clarke AND Turcotte? 

Clark is a RHD, top ten pick. So yes to him. Turcotte? Is he any good?

Turcotte is a top 5 pick. He hasn't put up the points as much this year, a fan told me that his defensive game is good. 

I would think his floor would be a 3C.

Garland (cap retained) for Clarke + Turcotte would be amazing.  Both these young players will be NHL players

within a couple of years.

19 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I wouldn't rely on CDC for a projection of the Canucks future.  JR's a competitive guy, so he will make trades that

will have a positive impact on the team (younger, faster, etc), but I don't see him doing a rebuild.

I think there will only be 2 trades at TDL (Garland/Motte) and 1 in the offseason (Myers).  That's $12M

Miller, Bo and Hogs are all UFAs at the end of next season, so if any of them are to be re-signed, there has to be

cap space.

17 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Turcotte is a top 5 pick. He hasn't put up the points as much this year, a fan told me that his defensive game is good. 

I would think his floor would be a 3C.

Garland (cap retained) for Clarke + Turcotte would be amazing.  Both these young players will be NHL players

within a couple of years.

Is Turcotte projected to be a top six forward? Clarke is projected to be a top 2 defenseman, no? 

37 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Management has said a couple years, that seems reasonable.

With a mix of NHL ready young players and futures in returns we can still be a bubble team next season, and then progress from there to be a solid playoff team for quite a few years as the younger players hit their peaks.  Additionally, we will almost certainly have to take some money back in trades so could have some solid older veterans that expire by the end of next season to be on the team as placeholders right when we need them to be (someone like Reaves if we traded with the Rangers as an example) and then their cap freed up to spend the summer of 2023.

Ther is compared with the current scenario where most of our efficient contracts are up for raises and we have to trade away depth just to afford to keep this (not good enough) team pretty much “as is”.

Edited by Provost

4 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I wouldn't rely on CDC for a projection of the Canucks future.  JR's a competitive guy, so he will make trades that

will have a positive impact on the team (younger, faster, etc), but I don't see him doing a rebuild.

I think there will only be 2 trades at TDL (Garland/Motte) and 1 in the offseason (Myers).  That's $12M

Miller, Bo and Hogs are all UFAs at the end of next season, so if any of them are to be re-signed, there has to be

cap space.

I suspect that Myers is probably gone to a playoff team. 

JR is a competitive guy, for sure, but if you can get both Turcotte AND Clarke for Garland, you have to consider it. 

Hate to lose Garland, but how else are we going to get younger? Turcotte probably won’t make the roster next year, and neither will Clarke, so there has to be some signings during Free Agency to fill in some roster spots. 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I suspect that Myers is probably gone to a playoff team. 

JR is a competitive guy, for sure, but if you can get both Turcotte AND Clarke for Garland, you have to consider it. 

Hate to lose Garland, but how else are we going to get younger? Turcotte probably won’t make the roster next year, and neither will Clarke, so there has to be some signings during Free Agency to fill in some roster spots. 

I would be fine with Myers being traded.  I am hopeful the return would be 3rd liner + 2nd

The only way JR gets Turcotte (who is projected to be top 6) and Clarke are if there's Garland retention. 

I hate losing Garland as well; wish it were Boeser.  We still don't know what will happen with Miller, but if he

decides to move on, the Nucks could probably pick up some young roster players in a trade.  Something

like Kaako, Chytil, and Kravstov.  All of those players would make the Canucks next season.

1 hour ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

Iirc, both Bo and Petey have already publicly said (or implied) that they don't want to be part of a rebuild. I don't think JT has said anything about it, but based on his hyper-competitive nature, he'd also not want to be part of that. 

Then they better stop taking half the season off, step up and play like they don't need one. I hate when players say that, the reason teams are considering a rebuild is because they aren't playing well enough.

Garland plays with a tenacity that you can’t teach. Plus he’s still super young at a great cap hit for a top-6 forward. You win with guys like that in the playoffs. Makes no sense for the Canucks to trade him away for picks or a young unproven prospect who we would only hope turns out as hard-working as Garland. 

17 minutes ago, CaNuCkSLoUiE23 said:

Garland plays with a tenacity that you can’t teach. Plus he’s still super young at a great cap hit for a top-6 forward. You win with guys like that in the playoffs. Makes no sense for the Canucks to trade him away for picks or a young unproven prospect who we would only hope turns out as hard-working as Garland. 

I see this as a premise of trying to re-sign Miller.  Re-signing Miller also means the Management wants to compete now, and by god we know our defense needs some work.  No one is going to take our anchor contracts and give us any value back, so we're left with shopping anything with value to get something back, while clearing cap space.  Garland or Boeser is probably the management's best bet, but with Boeser underperforming and his QO not aligning with his current value, I'm guessing not many teams are willing to provide a good return.  I see Boeser or Garland taking up the exact same roster spot, so Management probably sees one of them expandable... and as of today, Garland probably brings more value due to his contract.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T.Demko said:

I see this as a premise of trying to re-sign Miller.  Re-signing Miller also means the Management wants to compete now, and by god we know our defense needs some work.  No one is going to take our anchor contracts and give us any value back, so we're left with shopping anything with value to get something back, while clearing cap space.  Garland or Boeser is probably the management's best bet, but with Boeser underperforming and his QO not aligning with his current value, I'm guessing not many teams are willing to provide a good return.  I see Boeser or Garland taking up the exact same roster spot, so Management probably sees one of them expandable... and as of today, Garland probably brings more value due to his contract.

Yeah - I'm guessing Rutherford is looking to build the team similar to Pittsburgh. Anchor the top of your lineup on the strength of the centers, and try to save money on the wingers. Pittsburgh has generally only had 1 winger making anything more than a few million (Guentzel, prior to that it was Kessel). Right now the 2nd highest winger salary is Rust at $3.5M.

And when you think about it, it's probably a good strategy. There's a much better chance that Miller-Horvat-Pettersson will be able to elevate the players on their line than Garland or Boeser can. And when you have a good center structure, it's easier to convince free agent (whether NHL, or NCAA/European) wingers to be willing to take a bit less to come and play for you.

The caveat to this is, as much as I like our guys, they're not exactly Crosby/Malkin. Can a team built on an aging Miller, Horvat, and Pettersson contend for the Cup? I'm not sure... I lean towards pulling the trigger and trading one of Miller or Horvat, and going for some deeper changes.

Edited by D-Money
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1