The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks getting calls on Conor Garland

7 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

So, to sum up this thread to page 80....

Rampant, unsubstantiated speculation....

Fevered rantings....

Wildly unrealistic trade proposals and contract / player valuations....

Did I miss anything???

;)

You have effectively summed up the CDC manifesto\mission statement. I’m not sure this serves better as a disclaimer or the wording for a CDC masthead. Probably both.

Edited by zimmy
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Fevered rantings....

Did I miss anything???

;)

Probably some totally off topic discussions about covid, politics and/or other random topics that have nothing to do with hockey 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Fevered rantings....

Did I miss anything???

;)

here's something substantiated - no one wants garland

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Going to have to eat salary on his contract. 

He's a good player at 3 millions. If we can get a younger guy with potential back and have to eat some of Garlands salary it might work. 

Might make sense to keep him and revisit in a year when the cap landscape changes.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

16 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

here's something substantiated - no one wants garland

He has only been available mid-season when most teams already have their roster sorted and very little cap space. This off season will be the time when we find out if anyone wants Garland and what his value is.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

He has only been available mid-season when most teams already have their roster sorted and very little cap space. This off season will be the time when we find out if anyone wants Garland and what his value is.

I mean, management said they don't want to use buyouts. Then used one the first chance they got on a guy that'll be on the books for almost a decade. I think that speaks volumes about whether or not teams are interested in Garland and Boeser and whatever other overpaid winger we want to move. Maybe a desperate team circles back mid July after the free agents dry up. But the fact we bought out OEL doesn't make our trade outlook very good.

I understand the cap space would be valuable but I still think keeping Garland isn’t some horrible sentence.  Besides Kuzmenko he’s probably been our best winger since we acquired him despite not really finding a home in the lineup. 

Having him either with Miller on the 2nd line or with whoever we land at 3C always makes the lineup look better in my eyes.  He drives offence 5v5, plays scrappy, back checks and draws penalties.  

If he were bigger he’d be a franchise winger and I never really watch a game thinking we’re losing because he’s getting tossed around.

Edited by ilduce39
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

I understand the cap space would be valuable but I still think keeping Garland isn’t some horrible sentence.  Besides Kuzmenko he’s probably been our best winger since we acquired him despite not really finding a home in the lineup. 

Having him either with Miller on the 2nd line or with whoever we land at 3C always makes the lineup look better in my eyes.  He drives offence 5v5, plays scrappy, back checks and draws penalties.  

If he were bigger he’d be a franchise winger and I never really watch a game thinking we’re losing because he’s getting tossed around.

Say we trade for Forbort, sign Kampf, Schenn and Juulsen, our winger depth would be a huge strength. Garland should compliment a defensive center well….

Kuzmenko - Pettersson - Beauvillier

Mikheyev - Miller - Boeser

Podkolzin - Kampf - Garland

Höglander - Åman - Joshua

PDG

Hughes - Schenn

Forbort - Hronek

Wolanin - Myers

Juulsen

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Say we trade for Forbort, sign Kampf, Schenn and Juulsen, our winger depth would be a huge strength. Garland should compliment a defensive center well….

PDG

Hughes - Schenn

Forbort - Hronek

Wolanin - Myers

Juulsen

Need more size, physicality and defensive ability in the bottom 6 and preferably another veteran 3rd pair D. 

Having winger depth is nice but if isn’t a rounded out roster with the right depth then you start to see the faults in the roster where you need improvement like we’ve seen in the past few years. 

We trade out a couple winger we can bring in two veteran Cs for the 3rd/4th line and probably a winger. Also could add a veteran 3rd pair D. 

Most of our prospect pool is a lot of wingers too. 

C and D depth are much more important in the long run. That’s where we have run into problems. These young guys are important to have as depth when injuries happen. 

1 minute ago, Kenny Powers said:

PDG

Hughes - Schenn

Forbort - Hronek

Wolanin - Myers

Juulsen

I’ll still maintain that I’d like to see Allvin find *one* splashier acquisition but I’d be happy with that next year if nothing is available.  

None of those guys will likely come too expensive or with a lot of term so we can keep looking next offseason.

With the differing reports of how much cap we have that looks 100% doable as well - might actually leave some room.

This lineup wouldn’t be considered contenders for the cup, but sure looks better defensively / on the PK and every line can score. Good size on the back end if a little small up front.  

I’d watch this team.

14 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Need more size, physicality and defensive ability in the bottom 6 and preferably another veteran 3rd pair D. 

Having winger depth is nice but if isn’t a rounded out roster with the right depth then you start to see the faults in the roster where you need improvement like we’ve seen in the past few years. 

We trade out a couple winger we can bring in two veteran Cs for the 3rd/4th line and probably a winger. Also could add a veteran 3rd pair D. 

Most of our prospect pool is a lot of wingers too. 

C and D depth are much more important in the long run. That’s where we have run into problems. These young guys are important to have as depth when injuries happen. 

agree all around. Just not sure the path to do all that this off-season.

14 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

I’ll still maintain that I’d like to see Allvin find *one* splashier acquisition but I’d be happy with that next year if nothing is available.  

None of those guys will likely come too expensive or with a lot of term so we can keep looking next offseason.

With the differing reports of how much cap we have that looks 100% doable as well - might actually leave some room.

This lineup wouldn’t be considered contenders for the cup, but sure looks better defensively / on the PK and every line can score. Good size on the back end if a little small up front.  

I’d watch this team.

Same here re. one splashier move

This lineup has the potential to win the 8? more games we needed to make the playoffs, but is far from complete

Edited by Kenny Powers
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Claiborne55 said:

If we can’t find a trade for Garland… surely someone would pick him up off of waivers?  It least it would give us more cap space.

Garland has negative value. We either retain or attach a lot of sugar to dumperoo him. No team wants him at his full cap. He contributes little unless he has the puck in the o zone. He can be a rat, which makes him more useful, but he doesn’t play like that consistently. He’s just another Benning stain. 
Benning :picard:

57 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

PDG

Hughes - Schenn

Forbort - Hronek

Wolanin - Myers

Juulsen

I want more physicality in the lineup and this is not a playoff team. 

One of our wingers need to be dealt this offseason. Hoglander replaces them. Need a physical center who can play a physical shutdown type of role and chip in with 30-40 points a season. 

Don't mind bringing back Schenn for a 2 year contract, but I rather target Peeke, younger and more upside with a value contract. 

Want a gritty bottom 6 winger as well that can play the PK. 

If we were also able to bring in a physical shutdown LHD that would be a bonus. 

• Cheers 1