The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Review of GMJB's Trades - He Did Well!

Rate this topic

HKSR

Just now, HKSR said:

Fair.  I think we get a general idea of how Benning did though.  People like to rip on him for trades, but I really think free agency is what killed him.

I think it's the combination of all three with a lack of forward thinking.

Why he protected 2 dman that didn’t make the opening line up is ridiculous.

• Upvote 1

I disagree whole heartedly with calling the Burrows trade a win.

Burr was certainly a declining heart and soul guy but the return is a prospect playing in Europe that is uncertain to ever come to North America.

It was nice to get a return for Burrows but trading an NHL roster player, be it on the decline or not, for a depth prospect is hard to call a win.

OP, although I agree for the most part with your W/L/D on GMJB's trades, I would have to give all trade that used prospects and futures a big L as we were not at any point in a position to trade those assets away. Yes Miller is great, but we are still not a playoff team and our prospect cupboards are now bare again. So although on paper we may have won the trades, ultimately we lost them as we are no further ahead than when we made the trades.

9 minutes ago, GB5 said:

Burr was certainly a declining heart and soul guy but the return is a prospect playing in Europe that is uncertain to ever come to North America.

It was nice to get a return for Burrows but trading an NHL roster player, be it on the decline or not, for a depth prospect is hard to call a win.

Are you talking about Linus Karlsson?  He's ripping it up in the SHL as a rookie... aiming to break Pettersson's goal scoring record as a rookie... albeit as an older player.

4 minutes ago, GB5 said:

Burrows trade was exactly what needed to happen at that time, we actually needed more of those trades. We needed the rebuild and the Burrows/Hansen trades made it look like that might be what was going to happen, it didn't...

Dahlin was Petey's buddy and they had great chemistry, hard to say the thought process was wrong on this one. Dahlin wasn't considered a depth prospect (top6 potential) when we traded for him, just happens to be what he turned out to be. Now we have Linus Karlson whom is on the verge of possibly breaking Petey's rookie goal scoring record in the SHL, yeah he's older than Petey was when the record was set, but it's no small feat. 

• Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

I think it's the combination of all three with a lack of forward thinking.

Why he protected 2 dman that didn’t make the opening line up is ridiculous.

Can't disagree with you there... plus also hanging onto Green for so long really cost this team a chance at a playoff spot this year.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

31 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Benning did well, until the end when he got desperate and traded the Canucks future for help to try and get back to the playoffs

I really liked Guenther, but Garland can still net some positive return either in the line up or trade.  The latter half of OEL’s contract will be significant (I wonder tho-his game is built on being smooth and solid in all areas, not so much on raw athleticism or explosiveness. so maybe he can be a contributor in the back half of his career/we will see) 

• Cheers 1

Jim was doomed from the moment he signed Loui. Could never recover from that. Did Aqua twist his arm I bet they did but no one saw that playing out the way it did at the time of the signing. 

His trades were good and drafts were good. 

I'm fine with the Myers and Pearson deals  

Beagle and Roussel were overpaid but each brought an element that no one else on the team could.  

I thought JB was good but he needed support he couldn't wear all the hats. 

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Ok, so why would Leivo for Carcone be considered anything else but a W?  At least give me a reason why.

Sure, you can take the W away from the Mazanec trade, but that's 1 out of 23.  So 22 wins and 8 losses.  Keep going.

EDIT:  Actually, if we really wanna break it down.  I'd give the Etem and Jensen trade a W.  Jensen played 7 games with NYR and got 0 points and that was it.  Etem played 39 games with Vancouver and had 7 goals and 5 assists.  So a W makes more sense.  Thanks!  LMAO

Did you also consider the strength in each team? 

As the Canucks have been bad it' s easy to make a contribution then if you're traded to a team full of prospects... 

I'm not sure how you value draft picks either.

What if we skipped Miller and Garland and got a really good RHD and a LHD that makes an impact when our window opens?

Is Miller and Garland still considered a win?

1 hour ago, FaninMex said:

Do you win every week at the Lotto too?

Now our expectations of our team are so low that making a trade is like buying a lotto ? Really?.

Like 1 in 50 million chance of success?. 

I guess canucks will never win a trade again.. 

Aqua should ban his management from ever making a trade again. Because if the odds are same as lotto,  its idiotic to even talk about making a trade..

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

Was the trade necessary? We wouldve had so much cap space free this coming off season... 

And done what with it? Overpayed for a different dman in free agency? 

33 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Did you also consider the strength in each team? 

As the Canucks have been bad it' s easy to make a contribution then if you're traded to a team full of prospects... 

I'm not sure how you value draft picks either.

What if we skipped Miller and Garland and got a really good RHD and a LHD that makes an impact when our window opens?

Is Miller and Garland still considered a win?

Shakir Mukhmadullin and Dylan Guenther are the two guys. 

Can't start playing the "what if" game and cherry picking guys with the benefit of hindsight. 

8 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Now our expectations of our team are so low that making a trade is like buying a lotto ? Really?.

Like 1 in 50 million chance of success?. 

I guess canucks will never win a trade again.. 

Aqua should ban his management from ever making a trade again. Because if the odds are same as lotto,  its idiotic to even talk about making a trade..

Context will help here.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Shakir Mukhmadullin and Dylan Guenther are the two guys. 

Can't start playing the "what if" game and cherry picking guys with the benefit of hindsight. 

Well, I want to know wich player Benning would have chosen.

If he looked to fill the gaping holes in defence he could have got a new Shea Weber.

2 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

OEL trade was trash. Sure, he might be a decent top 4 D man right now, but imagine 3-4 years down the line with a 7.26M cap hit. Sure he may still be an NHL D, but at 7.26. HELL NO 

Garland is good, but at the expense of taking OEL and giving Guenther no thanks. It was a save my job trade..

Klimovich is better than Guenther.  He's already in the AHL at 18.  Garland can be easily flipped for more that what we traded for.  OEL is a solid #4 Dman who compliments Myers.  OEL's salary is excessive but Hughes is on a great contract so it balances out.  And we are pretty much going with youth moving forward so I don't see us in cap trouble anytime soon.

• Haha 3

Just now, higgyfan said:

Maybe you could send him and message and ask.

I’m satisfied to leave him behind instead of as many posters here do, only want to talk about him.

I’m glad I wasn’t around when Gillis left for Benning. Talk about endlessly, meaningsless discussions.

If Allvin is a mistake we can discuss if Gillis or Benning or another should be GM.