The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Canucks Management are done team assessment, Demko, Hughes, Pettersson only untouchables

27 minutes ago, Alflives said:

On 650 yesterday Drance was saying in his last 20 games Petey has top 10 in the league numbers (driving offence and defensive too) in the league.  Petey is back to playing like a franchise, 200 foot, centre.  Drance said Bo rates out as a very good number two centre.  He said Miller has bad underlying numbers as a centre, but good as a winger.  

So Miller being on Petey's wing is probably the best way to go. Can take the draws and let Petey do the rest of the center duties. Miller is a top PK center for us. There's use for all of Miller, Horvat and Petey is many roles. Regardless, it's better to keep all three unless the plan is to go full rebuild.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Much easier to put a center on the wing than to shift a winger to center. Not super convinced that Petey is a true center man in the NHL, but if so, then a more sheltered one as a "3C" is more likely it while he gets loaded up with say Miller or Horvat in offensive situations. So I'd prefer to keep all three of Petey, Miller and Bo instead of having expensive wingers, so we should be looking for budget or good value wingers regardless.

Don't forget that Bo had 10 goals in 17 games in our last playoff drive. He steps up in the playoffs and that's someone that you want if playoffs are the goal.

Petey has literally been one of the best centers in the league since entering lol

30 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Petey has literally been one of the best centers in the league since entering lol

Petey is certainly growing into the center role and he's always had a good 200ft game. For me, a key component as a center is winning faceoffs, he's still below 50% and has taken less than half of Horvat's draws. Offensive numbers only, sure he's been great, but that alone doesn't make him a better "center".

Anyway, I'm not trying to knock on Petey. The point is that we have a use for all of Miller, Horvat and Pettersson and should build around them at forward. Horvat isn't going to be a "3C" as he plays many key roles. People are worried that he will sign for 6 million a season, IMO, that's a bargain if we get him locked at that.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, deus.ex.makina said:

Boeser and Pearson for Laine. 

I suggested trying to trade for Laine. That was pretty much shut down by a majority. In my mind he's a superior player to Brock. Speaking about the deal you proposed, that's not going to get it done. Most likely going to be Boeser, Rathbone +. Don't see it happening though. 

Maybe been mentioned in this thread already, but I definitely think JT Miller should be on the keeper list. I believe I don't need to say why.

I'm totally down with what the op posted regarding the untouchables and everyone else is fair game. We need more speed, a more punishing, mobile defence, and at least another game breaking goal scorer. A veteran Kopitar, Toews, or Carter type centre could also be useful.

Unless we get some no brainer trade at deadline, IMHO we really should wait till the draft/off season to make moves.  

17 hours ago, wildcam said:

I agree keep Horvat a true centre plays a good 200 foot game needs better wingers to produce better...Rememeber Horvat is playing shut down centre most of his career.. Very good in face-off, great leader should score 23-26 G-- 56--64 points...

Miller is a good winger that can play centre and plays different role then Horvat..

Miller 28 will demand  6 yrs X 7.8 -- 8.2 milllion. ---- Horvat 26 - will demand 6 X 6.4 Million..

We need cap space so keep Horvat and he is 2 yrs younger..

Miller will get you better assets back in trade also..

Trade Miller only will the right offer....Example -- Schneider 20 RD, 6'2 --Barron, 6'4 -C -- Chytil,23,6'3 C ---- 2nd rounder

or 2 pack Lundvist 5'11 RD -- Kravtsov,23, 6'3 W -- Barron C 6'4 ... 1st rounder..

Miller -- Motte

Horvats gunna demand 8 mill a season.

• Haha 1

Canucks have two lines that are pretty solid

Hoglander - Pettersson - Podkolzin

Highmore - Lammikko - Motte

Maybe they should make Petey the captain, the future starts now, kind of thing. I believe they want Petey to eventually be the leader of this team, building around him and Quinn (and Thatcher).

They could get quite the haul trading Miller, Horvat, Boeser, Garland and Pearson. 

Some teams linked to the Canucks lately, and players I'd like to get from them:

BOS - Fabian Lysell, Brandon Carlo

CAR - Martin Necas, Aleksi Heimosalmi

COL - Justin Barron, Alex Newhook

CBJ - Cole Sillinger, Jake Bean, Adam Boqvist

MIN - Calen Addison, Carson Lambos

NJ - Dawson Mercer, Ty Smith, Alexander Holtz, Shakir Mukhamadullin

NYR - Braden Schneider, Nils Lundkvist, Filip Chytil, K'Andre Miller, Vitali Kravtsov, Brennan Othmann

TOR - Timothy Liljegren

WAS - Vincent Iorio

1 hour ago, KKnight said:

I suggested trying to trade for Laine. That was pretty much shut down by a majority. In my mind he's a superior player to Brock. Speaking about the deal you proposed, that's not going to get it done. Most likely going to be Boeser, Rathbone +. Don't see it happening though. 

Laine is what Boeser should have been.

since his accident with his back, he has never been a shooter anymore, and found some succes in a playmaker rôle. We still need a pure sniper. 
we can try to get Laine for Boeser, Pearson as cap dump, and we need a sweetener. But this is the pb. Laine is’nt signed and could walk away, or could demand way to much.  So every thing higher than a 3rd would be a no go. I prefer taking my chance with Forsberg, although he s older, for a 8,5M range. 

2 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Miller is the Canucks' best player. Miller is also the one who should be traded. He's not going to be their best player at the time that this team is ready to compete for a cup. 

Your quote On Miller:

“ He’s not going to be their player at the time that this team is ready to compete for a cup”

Do you think Horvat or Boeser are going to get better in the same time frame?

This team will be far weaker without his type of leadership 4-5 years from now, his leadership will run off on others that are impressionable,.  It already is.

• Vintage 1

46 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Canucks have two lines that are pretty solid

Hoglander - Pettersson - Podkolzin

Highmore - Lammikko - Motte

Maybe they should make Petey the captain, the future starts now, kind of thing. I believe they want Petey to eventually be the leader of this team, building around him and Quinn (and Thatcher).

They could get quite the haul trading Miller, Horvat, Boeser, Garland and Pearson. 

Some teams linked to the Canucks lately, and players I'd like to get from them:

BOS - Fabian Lysell, Brandon Carlo

CAR - Martin Necas, Aleksi Heimosalmi

COL - Justin Barron, Alex Newhook

CBJ - Cole Sillinger, Jake Bean, Adam Boqvist

MIN - Calen Addison, Carson Lambos

NJ - Dawson Mercer, Ty Smith, Alexander Holtz, Shakir Mukhamadullin

NYR - Braden Schneider, Nils Lundkvist, Filip Chytil, K'Andre Miller, Vitali Kravtsov, Brennan Othmann

TOR - Timothy Liljegren

WAS - Vincent Iorio

Liljigren is useless in his own end and soft as tissue. He's the last add we need. 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

Forwards peak statistically at around 27, generally with high levels of play (prime)  between 24 - 30, a moderate drop then, and a fairly steep drop from 32+.

So, yes.

23 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Your quote On Miller:

“ He’s not going to be their player at the time that this team is ready to compete for a cup”

This team will be far weaker without his type of leadership 4-5 years from now, his leadership will run off on others that are impressionable,.  It already is.

Lol, that's the problem. Haha, just joking Sam but he's not really a good leader. He's good inspiration though through his on ice performance. However that will wane and yes, both Boeser, and Horvat will plausibly be more effective players in 5 years.

Edited by Gawdzukes

This team has some good pieces on it, could this team use a bit of a roster shake up though...I think the correct answer is YES! But if we move a key skilled player like JT/Bo/Boeser etc we need to get back a good return not picks as that would signal more of a rebuild. We have 4 more years of Demko after this season at his 5m cap hit, we need to be a serious cup contender before his next deal is up.

Hope we can move out some dead weight contracts, I think a Pearson for Debrusk trade could work if Jake signs an extension for about 1m less than his 4.4m QO.