The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Canucks Management are done team assessment, Demko, Hughes, Pettersson only untouchables

46 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I keep hearing this latey, that Bo shows up when games matter. Well, they've mattered for a while, so where is playoff Horvat when we need him most to get into the playoffs?

No, not “when games matter”. 

Some players get into a zone. Many of them are like that. Average to good during the season, and absolute BEAST mode during the playoffs.

Horvat isn’t a no-show on purpose. He is good to better during the season. He just activates hard during the playoffs.

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 3
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, hammertime said:

Interesting that Pete was a winger in the SHL, and now under 2 NHL coaches he's had to have a C prop him up. I love me some Petey but to those saying trade Bo trade Miller and simultaneously have Pete penciled in the 1C slot  I'm highly doubtful he can handle the assignment. 

Realistically on a championship caliber team Petes a winger and a very good one who can play C in a pinch. 

Petey likes to play centre. Trust me I know. Let’s leave him there. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, BCNate said:

There are currently 14 PPG centres this year.  I think your threshold is too high.

Once you subtract all the mediocre non-playoff teams who naturally don’t have a 1C, that threshold becomes a little bit more realistic. 

• Cheers 1

Part of the challenge with Bo is that he came advertised as a shut down 3rd line centre, but he's provided more offense than initially projected and hasn't really been that shut down centre.  He's average, maybe below average on the defensive end and I hate to say it but it really shows on the PK.  Yes, he's good on faceoffs, but its weird you'll see the improved power skating when he's trying to score but defending you don't see that skating.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, guntrix said:

Just when exactly is our window to compete for the cup?

We have to reevaluate our intended window, especially if management is looking to trade 90% of the team. 

I can't say for sure when it is, that's dependent on what Rutherford does. I can just say when it is not, which is right now. 

I read into this that Bo is gone if there's a reasonable trade offer.  Something has happened in the last year with him I think.  I think if we trade him and he doesn't have to worry about the leadership part, he'll shine.  I like Bo and I don't want to see him go.  We need the Bo that we know.  But it's a challenge because I don't see him being an effective captain and I also don't see him stepping down as Captain.  

Bo is more than a shutdown third liner stated above by @amplified0ne.

Wouldn't be surprised if we keep Miller as the new captain with Bo and Boeser being traded.  If it weren't for Miller's age, I don't think there would be debate about keeping him.  Yet he's really not that old.  He is definitely the type of on-ice person that we want as a captain......not sure about the off-ice part as I don't know.  BUT, a hyper-competitive captain is much needed right now and Miller does fit this bill.

Not suggesting this should happen or will happen.....just suggesting that it wouldn't surprise me.

Edited by NHL97OneTimer
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, guntrix said:

Just when exactly is our window to compete for the cup?

We have to reevaluate our intended window, especially if management is looking to trade 90% of the team. 

Don't think that's the plan.  They are trying to understand the trade value of the different players they have.  It will then allow them to see which pieces they can move and decide who they should move.  Some contracts might not be movable.  Some might only be possible in cap in / cap out type of deal and others might not bring back the return they hope.  

Wouldn't be all that surprised if they try and extend Miller.  An extension carries a risk but there's also the risk that the assets they get in return never pan out or their timeline is too far out.  It's not like they have Demko, Hughes and Pettersson under contract indefinitely - only 4 years for Demko after this season, 5 for Hughes and 3 (2 under contract) for Pettersson.   

Rutherford spoke about the importance of development and how he likes to over-rippen players in the AHL.  He gave the example of Blueger who could have played in the NHL 2 years before they finally brought him up.  He was drafted in 2012 and went the NCAA route, signed his ELC in March 2016 and was brought up in the last half of the 2018/19 season due to injuries.

A player drafted recently could be a number of years away from making the team under Rutherford.  Adding to the prospect pool will improve the structure on how they develop and add players to the NHL team in the long run, but it doesn't sound like it's going to be prospects fuelling the roster in the near future.  

He also said that he wanted to create cap space because if there are opportunities they can then take advantage whether in a trade or UFA.  Says that Demko masks a lot of flaws and that they are holes in the roster and highlighted their lack of footspeed.  Sounds like a roster composition issue but not a maturity issue - the players on the team are ready to compete today (other than Podkolzin and Höglander who could use some AHL time).   

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

11 hours ago, 70seven said:

Canucks need a Duchene like return for Miller.  Just not sure it’s out there for them. 

1st, 2nd, 3rd, Girard, Bowers, Kamanev

Seems steep?  Only player to work out so far is Girard….

food for thought. 

What’s the point in getting a Duchesne return and pay him exorbitant amounts of money when we can keep Miller and pay him exorbitant amounts of money? 

14 hours ago, 70seven said:

Only player to work out so far is Girard….

Sure?

They also started winning the instant Girard started moving the puck out of the zone for them.

And the cap went to Makar.  They did fine... 

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Petey likes to play centre. Trust me I know. Let’s leave him there. 

Petey likes creativity so a label doesn’t suit him… Trust me instead. B)

Think of a line where everyone interacts completely. Not a winger, not a center…

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, JamesB said:

Yes Boeser could sign a multi-year deal at any time. However, he has a strong incentive to wait for his QO.

If the Canucks decide not to qualify him, he becomes a UFA and can sign anywhere he wants, maybe to the highest bidder, maybe to Minny, or maybe he stays in Vancouver. He loses very little by waiting to see if Vancouver qualifies him.

IF the Canucks do qualify him he gets a very high salary for next year and will be in pretty much the same (good) position a year from now.

If the Canucks trade him, he can wait for the acquiring team to make him a QO. And wherever he goes is likely to be in a jurisdiction with lower taxes and lower housing costs. And that team will need to pay him 7.5 the following year or let him become a UFA. 

If Boeser wants, he can guarantee that he gets 7.5 million each year until he becomes a UFA.

There is not much incentive to sign a multi-year deal with a lower cap hit before his QO is due. Whatever Vancouver offers now they would probably offer again if he becomes a UFA. 

The only slight leverage Vancouver has is that Boeser would probably like to stay in Vancouver and might be willing to leave something on the table to stay in Vancouver rather than being traded and therefore might sign a multi-year deal at a lower cap hit than 7.5 million. But not much lower, and I think that is unlikely in any case.  

7M for 6 years. Would you do it?

2 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

7M for 6 years. Would you do it?

Good question. I was thinking about the right number for Boeser.  

Comparables such as Mantha, Conner, Buchnevich, and Teravainen are in the range of about 5.5 to about 7 for deals of reasonable length. 

Boeser is a smart player with a great shot, very good puck skills generally, and a high hockey IQ. And he is defensively responsible and seems like a very good guy and good teammate. But he does not contribute to the speed game or the physical game, is not going to play on the PK or play shutdown, he does not drive play, and he is not a high energy player. And he is a winger,  not a center. He is a long way from Hughes or Pettersson in terms of value. 

Bottom line: I think 7 is too high  regardless of term. 6.5 x 6 is about as high as I would go and I would not feel great about it.  I think 6 x 6 would be good and I would be happy with that. 

But there is no way Boeser would accept 6 x 6.  I think it is possible he would go for 7 million x 6 years but,  like I said, I think that is too much. 

That is the reasoning that makes me think that the Canucks should probably trade Boeser. Teams with more cap room might be willing to absorb 7.5 QO or sign him long term at 7 million. But the high QO limits his trade value.