The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Golden Knights re-sign Ben Hutton

24 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

When you're that top heavy with contracts for your best players you absolutely need guys like Hutton to play regularly on minimum contracts. 

Yeah, but I do wonder if that's the right way to build your team.

I somehow feel like the original Vegas squad that was 4 line deep and 3 stable pairings was harder to play against then the current version with weak bottom pairing D and weaker bottom forwards.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

Just ask Toronto

Toronto's problem is that they paid the big money in the forward position.

But like it or not Toronto is at least a consistent playoff team something Vancouver isn't. 

Besides as Ray Ferraro once said in TSN, he would rather overpay for star players (which was what Toronto did) than depth guys (which is what Benning did) 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

He seemed like a good guy, but he was always a 3rd pairing D and somehow got convinced he was something more.

When he and Stecher were a pair thrust into top minutes because of injuries, Stecher's numbers were still good but Hutton just got buried.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, khay said:

Yeah, but I do wonder if that's the right way to build your team.

I somehow feel like the original Vegas squad that was 4 line deep and 3 stable pairings was harder to play against then the current version with weak bottom pairing D and weaker bottom forwards.

Anaheim was carried by 3 strong d-men in their 06-07 cup run. It depends on the philosophy, but some teams can get away with the 3rd pairing being more of a luxury than a necessity. 

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, c00kies said:

Anaheim was carried by 3 strong d-men in their 06-07 cup run. It depends on the philosophy, but some teams can get away with the 3rd pairing being more of a luxury than a necessity. 

Right, it worked for the Ducks. Their top 2 guys were HHOFs... were there any other team with that caliber of top 2D since the cap was introduced?

1 hour ago, Provost said:

He seemed like a good guy, but he was always a 3rd pairing D and somehow got convinced he was something more.

When he and Stecher were a pair thrust into top minutes because of injuries, Stecher's numbers were still good but Hutton just got buried.

Can’t really blame Ben for that.

I mean, I know I’m **** at hockey, but if an NHL team paid me around $3M a season, and then played me 22 minutes a night, even I might start getting convinced I’m something more. :lol:

And Ben is actually good at hockey.

He’s just not a top-4 level NHL D.

Playing around 15 minutes a game, and making <1M, he’s a bargain, and arguably a better player than the role he’s being asked to take on. That’s always a good spot to be in, when you can outperform expectations (although I’m sure he’d very happily play more minutes and for 3-4 times the salary ;)).

Hutton’s been really steady for Vegas and quietly put up some strong underlying numbers this season. He’s also, by all accounts, a great guy. Nice to see him rewarded with an extension and some job security for two more seasons.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, iinatcc said:

But like it or not Toronto is at least a consistent playoff team something Vancouver isn't. 

Besides as Ray Ferraro once said in TSN, he would rather overpay for star players (which was what Toronto did) than depth guys (which is what Benning did) 

Yes, consistently losing in the 1st round.   What's interesting is that, over the past 10 seasons, the Nucks and Laughs have

both recorded 32 appearances.:gocan:   The winner of the longest drought has to go to TO  in the 10 yrs pre Matthews.

A whopping 1st round loss + 9 no p/o this year, scratch again!

5 hours ago, iinatcc said:

They are a model of consistency - they have lost in the first round 5 years in a row!

• Upvote 1