The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Van-LA

Recent rumors suggest LA could be interested in Brock Boeser. This could be a very fortuitous opportunity for JR and co.

Brock Boeser and Jack Rathbone for Brandt Clarke and Samuel Helenius

LA has a wealth of RHD but lack in LHD prospects. Rathbone is promising to be a high-end lefty.

Brock gives them a righty sniper that would fit right in with Arvidsson, Kempe, and Brown, making that side a real strength.

We get a, much needed, RHD that brings a wealth of offensive talent to a team that desperately needs it.

We also get a huge depth forward that projects to be a bottom-six stalwart, brimging physicality and defensive strength.

44 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Slight overpayment by us but I don't mind this trade

How do you under rate Clarke so? He would have gone 1st OA if I was making the pick last year. He's got 52 points in 42 games in the OHL not the Q not the W the OHL is a good step above. We're talking about and elite D prospect for James Neal light here. Land slide win for us. 

Edited by hammertime
  • Thanks 1

Just now, hammertime said:

How do you under rate Clarke so? He would have gone 1st OA if I was making the pick last year. He's got 52 points in 42 games in the OHL not the Q not the W the OHL is much a good step above. We're talking about and elite D prospect for James Neal light here. Land slide win for us. 

He's a great prospect. Im definitely not arguing that. But he is just a prospect and one never knows how these kids will transition into the pros. Boeser is a proven entity scoring 25-30 a year and 50+ points. Rathbone is also a potential top 4 D who has looked good in the pros this year. 

If your trading away such an elite young player and a top prospect then Id like to see a little more added then a couple prospects.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Was about to ask the same question. Everyone suddenly thinks we should just throw him in with other trades.

Well the LD on Vancouver 1. Hughes 2. OEL, Rathbone has to move past OEL to get any ice time? Rathbone should and will be a #4 D man just not in Vancouver..

I really like Rathbones upside look at his stats in AHL this season Gp19 -- Points 21, needs to work on defensive coverage better but he will have a very good NHL career.. We need decent prospect back with same upside as Rathbone under 25..

20 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Well the LD on Vancouver 1. Hughes 2. OEL, Rathbone has to move past OEL to get any ice time? Rathbone should and will be a #4 D man just not in Vancouver..

I really like Rathbones upside look at his stats in AHL this season Gp19 -- Points 21, needs to work on defensive coverage better but he will have a very good NHL career.. We need decent prospect back with same upside as Rathbone under 25..

That doesn't mean that now is the time to trade him, or to just give him away as a sweetener in another deal.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Rabbit said:

No, I would not throw in Hog for this deal.

Helenius is one of the best skaters I've ever seen at 6'6 at his age he's got all the tools to be a very good 3C in the league if not much much more. I watch the draft very closely every year I had him as a 1st rounder. He's got great tools he isn't a toss in. You may remember his Father Sami Helenius this kids a viking. 

Clarke is about as sure thing as you can get to be a top pairing RHD outside the NHL as it gets. He's better than Schneider and it's not even close. 

Brock's got 18 even strength points. For contrast Garland has 29 and costs 4.95m Now tell me how Brocks worth 7x7

Edited by hammertime

42 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Byfeld and Clarke are untouchable prospects I’d imagine. I think a deal could be pretty nice for some of those other guys though.

That's fine.  Canucks will take Turcotte and Grans.  Fabulous trade!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

That's fine.  Canucks will take Turcotte and Grans.  Fabulous trade!

Exactly they have some appealing center and RHD prospects. Even after you exclude their top 2 guys because I can’t see them with where they are realistically moving either Byfeld or Clarke.

5 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

He's a great prospect. Im definitely not arguing that. But he is just a prospect and one never knows how these kids will transition into the pros. Boeser is a proven entity scoring 25-30 a year and 50+ points. Rathbone is also a potential top 4 D who has looked good in the pros this year. 

If your trading away such an elite young player and a top prospect then Id like to see a little more added then a couple prospects.

Brandt Clarke is a stud.  We're not getting him for Boeser and Rathbone.  Clarke is their Quinn Hughes.  He's going to be a top pairing Dman...

From everything I've read, Clarke has a high ceiling and he made big improvements with the Colts. 

I guess the feasibility of this depends on how highly they view Clarke's potential to reach his ceiling. One one hand it's a risk for us, since Boeser is already a proven player and  I feel Rathbone still has the potential to be an impact NHL player. On the other, we all know the elements of Boeser's game which aren't ideal for the kind of team we are building and we do badly need a stud RHD.

I'd do it. (Though I have to caveat this like I do any time discussing Boeser considering he's a great guy and I'd like to see him stay on our team).

Just not sure they would.