The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Kraken re-sign Jared McCann

His numbers are almost certainly petty drastically inflated by being on a terrible team and getting all the prime minutes.

On the other side, Seattle is going to be bad for a while so this isn’t the worst contract.  They need players and won’t have cap worries for a long while.

1 hour ago, Goal:thecup said:

McCann is a much, much better skater than Brock.

And a center.

Brock is a much, much better person than that skunk.

Character counts.

But not so much in contract dollars.

McCann had to settle for less, like all players may have to do for the near-term future of super-tight cap space and low revenue.

I love how what we select which of the things are reported true or not :lol:

25 minutes ago, Provost said:

His numbers are almost certainly petty drastically inflated by being on a terrible team and getting all the prime minutes.

On the other side, Seattle is going to be bad for a while so this isn’t the worst contract.  They need players and won’t have cap worries for a long while.

If that's the case Taylor Hall would have had 100 pts with Buffalo 

Honestly, I believe he's the modern Michael Grabner. I don't think he'd have figured out his game here in Vancouver. Took him landing in Florida and Pittsburgh before he found his groove in Seattle.

That said, the Canucks totally traded him way too early and for Gudbranson... what a bone headed trade by Benning & Weisbrod. But good for McCann for getting paid now. He gets to cash in on a miserable Kraken team for a couple of years.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

I love how what we select which of the things are reported true or not :lol:

I think the important thing here is not what may or may not be true about Brock's personality or character.  Nor should we hold it against McCann that he said what he said.  What is the most important thing here is identifying the fact that Brock's hair is in the 1% of all peoples on the planet.

14 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I think the important thing here is not what may or may not be true about Brock's personality or character.  Nor should we hold it against McCann that he said what he said.  What is the most important thing here is identifying the fact that Brock's hair is in the 1% of all peoples on the planet.

I can agree to that 

shrek-prince-charming.gif

1 hour ago, LegionOfDoom said:

Boeser 51 gp 33 points 

McCann 50pg 33 points 

It’s called a “contract year” for a reason you pay for what you got not what you had or what you could have.

Contract year or no, in the NHL players are typically paid for what they've done historically, not just for what their most recent season resulted in; although that does happen, but it usually ends up with players being paid more than they've previously been paid as opposed to a steep drop in pay. Could this season drop Brock's price? Yeah. Will it drop it down to sub-5M? Doubtful. 

Brock probably ends up somewhere between 5.5-6.5 if he re-signs. 

Edited by Coconuts

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

He requires a minimum 6.5 mill per season just for its maintenance!

When is he going to get his spokesperson deal with Pantene?!? 
Cmon player agent, earn your commission.

If Brock is retained, I propose next season the Nux run a promo night where they hand out Boeser wigs to attending fans. I think that’d be hilarious to see on a HNIC broadcast. Dan Murphy probably waiting desperately on that. ;p

Edited by RWJC
  • Upvote 1

this deal will look bad as soon as seattle gets a single decent nhl forward on their team to compare it to. 

there are a whole lotta 3rd liners out there who will put up mccann numbers if given first line and first unit pp duties. 

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

He requires a minimum 6.5 mill per season just for its maintenance!

When is he going to get his spokesperson deal with Pantene?!? 
Cmon player agent, earn your commission.

If Brock is retained, I propose next season the Nux run a promo night where they hand out Boeser wigs to attending fans. I think that’d be hilarious to see on a HNIC broadcast. Dan Murphy probably waiting desperately on that. ;p

Now THAT I'd like to see lol

I'd much rather trade boeser than give him a penny more than this. He is such a 1 way player who can't drive even 10 seconds of play. Floats till the puck is on his stick. 

Love the kid though, Seems like a great teammate.  He probably is the type though who showcased what he could be in the league in his first year.. But will never hit that again till his prime. And probably only last 2/3 year of that play ( assuming we are a good team at that point )

I'm pretty confident this new management team, Who all know what it takes to win, Will realize having a whole bunch of 1 way players wont help win a cup. Overpaying bigtime for them reaaaally wont help any future contracts we sign either.

I love how we trash this deal paying a 50 pt player 5 years at 5 million at the prime of his career while 6 years ago we were all praising Benning signing a certain player 6 years at 6 million at 30 years of age basically averaging the same number of points 

We are all so in denial :lol:

18 hours ago, iinatcc said:

If that's the case Taylor Hall would have had 100 pts with Buffalo 

It happens all the time - when a middle six guy gets primo minutes and 1PP time they go from 35-40ish points as their baseline - to 50-60plus    And on the McAan saw time in PIT top six as well.    Pearson, TT, Miller are recent examples of that just on our team (having career seasons in the top six - and of course age -primes - have a lot to do with that as well).   Have no idea what's going on with Brock this year, last season I for one, at least, felt that was a glimpse of the player he should become.    There are a lot of Sean Monahans out their too...there is definitely a risk signing Brock, and probably even more so signing Miller to a long term deal at 30.   Of course it will all come down to cap hits.      And yes it is the case.  McAan playing 14 minutes in the bottom six. 

Edited by IBatch

5 hours ago, iinatcc said:

I love how we trash this deal paying a 50 pt player 5 years at 5 million at the prime of his career while 6 years ago we were all praising Benning signing a certain player 6 years at 6 million at 30 years of age basically averaging the same number of points 

We are all so in denial :lol:

Lol.  Loui had some great seasons in Dallas before moving to Boston at the same age or younger.    I highly doubt McAan has the same career.   Personally don't see this contract too out of line.  He's not much different that Marshmellow who wasn't protected and went to Vegas.