The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Would you re-sign JT Miller to a 7.5m/7yrs extension?

Rate this topic

billabong

JT at 7.5m/7years?   

208 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Not sure why Canucks fans live in a hole all the time. Miller is worth 9mil per year. Comparables are Zibanejad, Mark Stone. For this thread to be even engageable, try making the amount 9million per year. Unless Miller does a discount to stay with the Canucks which there are no signs of. 

• Cheers 2

It’s total dollars that matters.  64 million is a huge number for a guy signing a contract that starts at age 30.  Would any other team give him that much, while offering the role he has with us?  Plus, we are young and building.  I think he signs 8x8.  

3 hours ago, stawns said:

for me, it's the return he would bring that is the main factor.......if the get the right deal it'll change the course of this franchise for a decade.  Aside from that, Miller simply doesn't fit the timeline of the Petey, Hughes. Podz, Hogz core that will probably be the one they build around

With a salary cap in place that is almost impossible to accomplish.  There is no Trevor Linden type deal out there...

19 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

With a salary cap in place that is almost impossible to accomplish.  There is no Trevor Linden type deal out there...

didn't Montreal just do it with Toffoli, just with lower rier assets on all sides.  Luckily for the Canucks Miller has a killer deal, an extra year on his contract and the top contenders all have good, young assets and cap space.  It would not be hard to make a MIller deal work, imo

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Wait to see how he goes next year. If he still scores above a PPG he deserves the big money but he may not. Give him 8.5M x 5. I'd be cautious of a long term deal because he will regress in his early 30s, I think he'll be a great 3C for us when he's 32-33 but we don't want 9M tied up to our 3C.

why would he take a 5 year deal do you think? 

• Cheers 1

He's playing like a top 20 player currently. He is gonna be 30 years old not in his early 20s wanting to get to UFA in 4-6 years. He's been super bargain player for past 3 years and pretty much will be the entire duration of his current contract. This will be his last contract. 

He's gonna get paid.

7-8 years at around 9M. If he falls to UFA teams a lot of teams would make room for him if they don't have the cap already.

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

The same as Boeser and Pettersson? 

But he's much better  

Edit - I thought $9 x 5 years would be what he receives. Would still be the 4th highest contract if he played for the Leafs. So, it's not terrible for the Canucks to give their best player $9. His age though, is my concern. How long can he sustain this level of excellence?

He isn’t better than Petey.

Hehasa much easier task to get points in the role he has on left side.

Take away Hughes and his PP will drop.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

didn't Montreal just do it with Toffoli, just with lower rier assets on all sides.  Luckily for the Canucks Miller has a killer deal, an extra year on his contract and the top contenders all have good, young assets and cap space.  It would not be hard to make a MIller deal work, imo

A late round pick in the first round and some scraps is a Trevor Linden type deal?  We got Bertuzzi, McCabe and a 3rd round pick.  Bertuzzi is arguably our greatest power forward ever.

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol offer 7.5 and he request a trade the next day.. that's insulting if u think that's FAIR based on what everyone else around the league is getting

McCann just got $5 million.  Based on that alone I would ask for $10 million if I was Miller...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Long deal, but Miller is worth far more than $7.5M right now, so I doubt he would take that deal. His market value is probably in the $9M-10M range, depending on things like term and clauses.

10 million isn't far fetched at all. But ive said before, its the term thats the issue. 10 million 4 years? sure! But hell no Miller camp takes that, they want the guaranteed 9 million X 8. Why play for 40 million when theres easily someone that will offer up 72 million plus

Unfortunately we don’t need to look very far at a player who was dominant, only to fall off after signing a huge contract. OEL was once in the exact same position as JT Miller, at almost the same age. Both considered first pair, top line players who were leaders on their teams, both probably seeking the same amount of term and $. 

OEL is now considered one of the worst contacts in the NHL and we are lucky enough to have him on the books for 6 more years. I’m not saying Miller is guaranteed to fall off like OEL did, but do you want to run that risk? If he does get signed I won’t be upset because I know what he means to the team, you just can’t offer him a NMC/NTC. I’d rather offer him  $8.75 x 5 and try to bring down the term, I’m worried what a 35 year old Miller looks like with the way he plays the game, that’s why I think it’s very important we don’t do either. You need to sell high on this player and take advantage of his production and contract, the fact he has no trade protection is the cherry on top! JR is lucky to have the media in this market to potentially create a bidding war, Benning never used this avenue and I have no idea why. SELL, SELL, SELL.

Edited by KyGuy123

4 hours ago, Topcheeze86 said:

When he becomes a ufa hes literally gonna choose where he wants to finish his career 

Unless we trade him and get value for him now - then who cares what he does as a UFA!  Unless JR & Co. decides he's "The Man" and they make him a solid offer he can't refuse to stay.

Edited by RU SERIOUS

11 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

The same as Boeser and Pettersson? 

But he's much better  

Edit - I thought $9 x 5 years would be what he receives. Would still be the 4th highest contract if he played for the Leafs. So, it's not terrible for the Canucks to give their best player $9. His age though, is my concern. How long can he sustain this level of excellence?

i wont say he's much better than EP.. EP defensive game>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Miller and it's not even close other than faceoff.. he's probably ahead offensively and that's about it.. i think it's safe to say EP at 23>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Miller at 23. i probably go out and even say EP is better than Miller is right now offensively too in the last 20 games or so.. despite Miller is slightly out producing Pettersson. Pettersson during those 20 games have a new linemate every 2-3 games and still producing despite playing with players that's been struggling all season. Miller played with Boeser regardless of what you think of him all season up until the last couple of games while EP had the honor of playing with Chiasson and Dickenson.. 2 offensive blackholes.. and Hoglander who can't buy a break all season. i don't see Miller getting the production he's been getting playing with those 3..