The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flyers re-sign Rasmus Ristolainen

Risto is such a polarizing player.

The stats nerds are convinced he’s complete trash, and certainly the analytics are beyond poor:

But he’s also been consistently used as a high minute defenseman in demanding roles by pretty much every coach he’s ever had. And certainly the skillset and physical gifts are impressive. 

You don’t see 22+ minutes per game top-4 Dmen, who’ve at times played a 26+ minutes role, making less than $5M in free agency.

So who’s right? The coaches who continue to choose to play him as a top-4, and the managers who acquire and sign him as such? Or the analytics guys who say he’s complete garbage and a waste of a roster spot?

Hard to say. I’ve never seen anything in his on-ice performance metrics that suggests he brings great value to a team. Other than being about to eat a bunch of minutes. But generally his teams are losing the games during the minutes he plays.

However, as bad as his results are, he does always seem to perform better in the real results vs. expected results, so perhaps there’s something going on there? Certainly he’s had some bad partners and rough usage, so perhaps he’s actually bringing more individual value than the stats can measure? Still, you do see some rough plays by the eye test, when you watch Risto. But probably he’s not nearly as bad as the analytics say he is.

I really don’t know.

I’m just glad it’s not the Canucks betting on this 5x$5.1M deal paying dividends.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

Fine cap hit... he hasn't earned the term though.  He has to prove he is a solid #4 to warrant that, and I think there are still question marks.

I do think he is a good player in the right situation, and is maybe still isn't quite in the right fit.

6 hours ago, HKSR said:

Pretty much bang on for a RHD like that.  I expect any top 4 RHD capable of 20min+ a night and a regular contributor to be about $4.5 to $5.5M AAV. 

Then why is there so many hating on Myers?  He occasionally blows a tire, he is so tall, it takes longer for him to hit the ground and get back up.  Like a giraffe… 

6 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

They have a great D core but they have had tons of injuries and their forward depth has not been up to par. Carter Hart has not emerged as the elite goalie they thought be would be at this point either.

Hart's bounced back just fine after a rough sophomore season. He's been one of the few bright spots on that team this year (besides probably Farabee), playing behind a injury/covid filled train wreck.

Pretty decent AAV. His offensive numbers are somewhat down from the 40+ point range he was at. But he still averages 3-4 hits a game, eats minutes, still good for 30-35 points, and isn't afraid to get in front of some shots. His defensive game is overstated. He's not as bad as people say. Just like Myers honestly. I think he gets too much hate for his defense. Honestly, he's pretty much a more physical but slightly worse on defense version of Edler. Prone to some bad giveaways. So for that reason, it's a solid deal.

6 hours ago, rekker said:

What an odd signng for a team that should be rebuilding. 

Has absolutely no trade protection according to capfriendly. They can move him at any time if that's true. Besides, he's 27. Good to have some experience on the team. I never like the idea of just icing kids.

15 hours ago, aGENT said:

Hart's bounced back just fine after a rough sophomore season. He's been one of the few bright spots on that team this year (besides probably Farabee), playing behind a injury/covid filled train wreck.

I have him on my Fantasy team, he has had some good stretches and some bad stretches. He was imo the best Goalie prospect to come out of Canada since Carey Price, and hasnt yet lived up to the hype. 

1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I have him on my Fantasy team, he has had some good stretches and some bad stretches. He was imo the best Goalie prospect to come out of Canada since Carey Price, and hasnt yet lived up to the hype. 

I have him on my fantasy team as well. He's played largely well but it's tough to get wins or keep a high SV% when you've got a fire drill in front of you more nights than not.

He's easily top 5 of current Canadian goalies and is 23 years old. He's doing just fine.

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I have him on my fantasy team as well. He's played largely well but it's tough to get wins or keep a high SV% when you've got a fire drill in front of you more nights than not.

He's easily top 5 of current Canadian goalies and is 23 years old. He's doing just fine.

I still think he will be a great goalie, just taking longer than I thought he would. He still lets in the occasional softy and is 36th in the league in GAA, which is also a product of team play. 

On 3/10/2022 at 7:52 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Risto is such a polarizing player.

The stats nerds are convinced he’s complete trash, and certainly the analytics are beyond poor:

But he’s also been consistently used as a high minute defenseman in demanding roles by pretty much every coach he’s ever had. And certainly the skillset and physical gifts are impressive. 

You don’t see 22+ minutes per game top-4 Dmen, who’ve at times played a 26+ minutes role, making less than $5M in free agency.

So who’s right? The coaches who continue to choose to play him as a top-4, and the managers who acquire and sign him as such? Or the analytics guys who say he’s complete garbage and a waste of a roster spot?

Hard to say. I’ve never seen anything in his on-ice performance metrics that suggests he brings great value to a team. Other than being about to eat a bunch of minutes. But generally his teams are losing the games during the minutes he plays.

However, as bad as his results are, he does always seem to perform better in the real results vs. expected results, so perhaps there’s something going on there? Certainly he’s had some bad partners and rough usage, so perhaps he’s actually bringing more individual value than the stats can measure? Still, you do see some rough plays by the eye test, when you watch Risto. But probably he’s not nearly as bad as the analytics say he is.

I really don’t know.

I’m just glad it’s not the Canucks betting on this 5x$5.1M deal paying dividends.

Basically a more expensive version of Poolman