The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Brandon Scanlin

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Interesting tidbit re: Scanlin (and other UDFA’s):

Just goes to show how off-cap spending in areas that support the players (coaches, staff, facilities, etc) can pay off, in making an organization more attractive to players.

In this case, the former regime deserves much credit. Ryan Johnson ultimately hired Braid, but with the backing of Benning and Aquilini, as part of an upgrade of the team’s development staff. And Mackenzie Braid is the son of Dawn Braid (one of the biggest names in the world of skating coaches).

It’s encouraging that the Canucks organization has committed to building up their development staff and bringing in good people, and that Rutherford (and some of the other management team members) have talked about expanding this even further, with facilities upgrades, even more staff additions in the near future, and overall just making the Canucks an organization that fully supports their players and can offer them whatever resources are needed to help make them the best versions of themselves possible, on and off the ice.

So long as ownership is willing, this is the type of spending, off the cap, that can give a team a competitive edge, when it comes to attracting free agents, and also developing their player assets into actual NHL players (and thereby maximizing draft pick value and ELC commitments).

It remains to be seen whether or not Scanlin (and other highly sought UDFA’s) will choose Vancouver. But it’s definitely a positive that the Canucks are said to be in the mix because of what they can offer as an organization, in terms of their coaching and development resources, rather than just what they can offer for a contract and roster spot.

These UFA free agents also get to come in and work with two hall of famers that could probably still play. The Sedin twins are very much involved as well and I’m sure it wouldn’t hurt that they are teaching a little bit on the skill portion. At this point, Scanlin is the guy I want to come in and learn from the best. We have a great history with unsigned UFA players.