The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Travis Hamonic to Senators for 2022 3rd-round pick

1 minute ago, flickyoursedin said:

There has to be more trades coming. This one feels like it could have been done in the off-season instead of making our defence weaker for the rest of this season. 

Wright is waiting for us... 

22 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Mostly agree with you, especially about the need for a more mobile D.  But on that matter, Poolman is actually okay, passable for second pairing.  It's his puck handling and passing that are questionable for that kind of deployment.  He was actually looking pretty good before he got hurt and seemed to benefit from the high flip breakout option that Bruce introduced.  So I think we can get by with him in a middle pairing role until a better option comes along.  Clearing cap is where that starts, for sure.

The main issue I have with Poolman is how he will singlehandedly ruin offensive zone chances by putting the puck in the absolute wrong spot, or trying to stickhandle and losing it 9 times out of 10

I haven't found him too bad in his own zone, he blocks shots and seems to know where to be and gets the puck up to his forwards pretty fast

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Yep, I don’t get the hate he gets he’s paid appropriately, the only blemish on his deal is it is a year or two too long, that is it. 

Strange, the grief this deal gets regarding term, yet some would sign a certain player to an 8 yr deal

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Every team in the league has much cheaper options to play on the 3rd pairing that can do just as good of a job as Poolman. That contract of his is a killer.

No it isn’t and is reasonable for what he brings. It’s not a great contract but it’s nowhere near negative value either. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Josepho said:

Amazing that 500 excuses were made for Benning not acquiring more picks then Allvin immediately dumps one of our bad contracts for a 3rd.

It’s not a bad contract by all means. We are just up against the cap so bad. Trading him for a third is an absolute win

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

That one play was the only thing that made that terrible game worthwhile for me to watch. We need more of that, not less. 

Luke also plastered someone into the boards, near side, d zone.

Shame he isn't a faster skater; though if he was He'd cost a lot more cap space

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

With that contract? He absolutely has negative value.

disagree.  he’s a serviceable dman just like Hamonic.  

Context is what matters.  Contending teams might not view the contract as efficient for their needs, but mid to rebuilding teams could see value in having a steady RH defensemen like Poolman.  

All assuming Poolman is even on the block. Could be others Canucks would like to move instead/first. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, eeeeergh said:

The main issue I have with Poolman is how he will singlehandedly ruin offensive zone chances by putting the puck in the absolute wrong spot, or trying to stickhandle and losing it 9 times out of 10

I haven't found him too bad in his own zone, he blocks shots and seems to know where to be and gets the puck up to his forwards pretty fast

For sure.  How many times does he take the puck off the point and speed behind the opposition's net only to make an intercepted pass to someone in the slot or covering for him on the point.  It starts out looking good but ends in tragedy every time.  This is not a guy you want to have distributing the puck. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

We actually have a bit of a logjam there with Myers, Poolman, Schenn, Burroughs, and Juulsen.

Yeah I suppose the cap space is just as valuable next year as it is right now. It’s just that we do have a few injuries and he is pencilled in as a top 4 player right now. It’s not gonna help us down the stretch here.

Edited by bad alice french

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

No it isn’t and is reasonable for what he brings. It’s not a great contract but it’s nowhere near negative value either. 

Well, if he gets moved for something tangible then I'll eat the appropriate amount of crow, but I just don't see it, especially considering how important cap space is right now. 

Believe me, I'd like you to be right, but I'm willing to bet that if you ask fans of any other team in the league, they wouldn't take Poolman unless there was retention or a sweetener.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Did you see Hamonic try and play with Hughes? It was a disaster.

We needed that cap space before the offseason. Couldn’t risk running out of time.

Burroughs and Juulsen deserve a shot over Hamonic. 

This. Juulsen especially I want to see more of. He has lots of potential and I'd love to see him get some more coaching from Shaw to see what he can blossom into.

Buh bye, Travis, you won't be missed.

• Cheers 1