The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Maple Leafs trade Travis Dermott to Canucks for 2022 3rd-round pick

21 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

And there will be numerous other UFAs that will be options who are actual NHLers and huge upgrades over Dermott.

Are you sure? Have you looked at CapFriendly and searched for UFA right-shooting defencemen? I'll save you the trouble: Subban, Letang, Boychuk, Stralman, Klingberg, Manson, J Schultz, C Miller, Gudbranson and Braun. Only two of them, Klingberg and Miller are under 30. In my view, only Klingberg would be of interest, but I'd bet 31 other teams would like to sign him, too. So when you talk about numerous other UFAs, be careful what you wish for. That kind of thinking got us Loui Player Name.

6 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

So you are retooling with the foundation that Benning built - does this mean he built something that the Canucks could work with, or did he "ruin" the franchise as some people like to think?

Miller's good, but we'll end up loving an asset so much that we'll forget to get something back for them. This is essentially what happened under Gillis and Benning regimes.

Yes we are retooling with Benning’s foundation. Benning did a good job with his building blocks but unfortunately failed in other areas. He left JR with some really good pieces to work with. So JR only needs to retool with what we already have. 

Miller is a tough call. If we want to compete in 2 years he has to stay. If we can get a guy like Lafreniere in a trade then maybe you pull the trigger. I wouldn’t trade him for picks and prospects however. That would signify a rebuild. We need a stud top 6 forward as a central piece coming back if he were to be traded. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson

10 minutes ago, luongianone said:

A 3rd is a high draft pick? Since when? If your 3rd round pick turns into Travis Dermott you are happy lol. Get outta here. The leafs gave him up because they need cap space and they're a good enough team that they can give up on players development. We are a $&!# enough team where we can take a chance on players lack of development. This is an overall excellent day. We also still have a 3rd rounder and we traded Winnipeg's. I'm assuming that is because we plan on moving below them in the standings. We can recoup more picks closer to the draft or on draft day.

Sounds exactly like how we defended Benning's trading picks for Vey and Bear.  

• Cheers 2

I believe we either trade to make room for Cap space or a trade that will make our team better now and in the future. No point giving away picks and reducing our Cap for someone that won't make us any better. Nothing against Dermott but definitely didn't need this trade for sure. We could of been better off for something better now or the future. 

Just now, King Heffy said:

We'll agree to disagree there then.  I have zero tolerance for defencemen who can't play defence.  Rielly's incompetence in his own zone is a major reason why Toronto won't win a playoff round until they find a way to get rid of him.  There is no player on the planet who is able to make up for how much of  a defensive liability Rielly is.

I mean- we can disagree, but teams have followed that formula for a long time of a pure offensive defenseman partnered with a willie mitchell/tanev type defensive defenseman.

That's what Hughes was until this season came around, and I didn't hear anyone arguing last season that Hughes didn't belong in the NHL. 

We can dispute whether Rielly is worth 7.5m/year, but with him on the ice, the Leafs outscore their opposition, he quarterbacks their powerplay, and is nearly a point per game.

There's no world in which that's "not an NHL player". You just deploy him differently than you could a defenseman with a more balanced skillset. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

He's a pure offensive defenseman who's put up 49 points in 62 games, you put him with a stay at home shutdown defenseman and let him outscore his defensive weakness. 

You can have 0 defensive aptitude, but if you're a defenseman that's nearly a ppg, you belong in the NHL. 

Whats with some ppl perpetuating this lie about reilly not being good defensively?  

Hes better defensively than a lot of the point producing dmen are. 

Hes an excellent skater and a big body. As much as i hate the leafs id take reilly anyday here.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dermott has never been given a good chance in TO, he was very good for the Marlies back a few years ago…they had a power house team then and he was one of their top D…they also went toe to toe with Utica in a 7 game series back then so got to watch a lot of him…guys saying Dermott can’t play defensive are wrong. TO got Gio today, so that spelled the end of Dermott. He will be very serviceable for us and a he’s a hell of a lot better than Brad Hunt…why are people complaining!?

Remember we also got Leivo from TO in a similar fashion and I think he he panned out very well for our team, he was a good fit for us…Leivo then left as a ufa and has not found a fit since…hopefully Dermott sticks we needed a 3 LD and he’s got a chance to take it and run. On paper it definitely works out. (Just because a player is on the outs on a good roster doesn’t mean he’s not a very good nhl player).

edit: I have to call myself out, it was a 5 game series not a 7 game. Travis Green was also the coach for anyone interested to know lol. Marlies were the power house team and Utica just squeeked in and gave them a run for their money. The GM and coach for the Marlies back then…Dubas and Keefe.

Edited by Attila Umbrus
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Why do I have the feeling some people would complain for the return if any on Halak if he gets traded?

Kinda seems like people would complain about that too

Most over value our players and under value other teams players. I saw somebody posted, Motte must go, we'll get a grade 'A' prospect plus a 2nd or 3rd round pick. I was like, "for Motte"? I don't think you could pull that off in EA let alone the real world. :lol:

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Sounds exactly like how we defended Benning's trading picks for Vey and Bear.  

This is it. The hypocrisy of this fanbase is on full display. No one said a bad thing about Vey (at the time) that was a proven AHL player for the Kings that looked like he was on the verge of breaking out.

Baertschi did pretty good for the Canucks up until the injuries.

All of a sudden, these trades became trash over time... suspiciously...

• Cheers 2

Just now, Baggins said:

Most over value our players and under value other teams players. I saw somebody posted, Motte must go, we'll get a grade 'A' prospect plus a 2nd or 3rd round pick. I was like, "for Motte"? I don't think you could pull that off in EA let alone the real world. :lol:

I dunno, looking at that underwhelming return for Giordano vs what the Habs got for Chiarot I am kind of middle of the road

Just now, EddieVedder said:

Whats with some ppl perpetuating this lie about reilly not being good defensively?  

Hes better defensively than a lot of the point producing dmen are. 

Hes an excellent skater and a big body. As much as i hate the leafs id take reilly anyday here.

In fairness to those people, he's near the bottom of the league in terms of goals against and not great in limiting high danger scoring chances, but he's also deployed against opponents top lines AND he's not expected to give you top tier defense, he's expected to help you score more goals which is exactly what he does. 

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We were never going to rebuild. It was never mentioned even once by JR. This team has great building blocks. We don’t need to tear it down and collect a hundred draft picks in the process. 

So we again retool, just like the  directions given to Benning.  Hopefully we don't spend another 8 years spinning the tires. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, RolexSub said:

Bro what are you smoking here in BC....3rd pick is not consider a valued high pick? Look at how many great players was drafted in the 3rd round. It is more after the 3rd round where players won't ever make it to the NHL. Some of the good 3rd round D's are Chara, Edler, Letang, Barrie...just to name a few. 

I think it's something like 12% of 3rd rounders make the NHL. Not many of them become impact NHLers. Datsyuk was a 6th round pick, should we value that as a high pick too? Zetterberg was a 7th, what about those? There's anomalies in every round, sure, and I would like to definitely stack some picks up in every round. Motte, Schenn, Myers, Pearson should all be able to get us picks in rounds 2-5. Trading a 3rd for Dermott is not something anyone should lose sleep over. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

22 minutes ago, Alflives said:

This has our owner written all overe it.  this is exactly what Benning did.  picks for already developed guys in hopes of retooling instead of rebuilding.  get to the new group faster than developing from our own picks.  The direction is still the one Aquilini wants.  He just hired an new guy to do it for him that's the only difference.

Well said - very familiar type moves, from seasons past - re tool 2.0.  This crew has a very questionable history of Drafting & Development from there days in Pittsburgh.  Ofcourse, I am not discounting the fact: they were making moves to support the Crosby core - but atleast, have something to show, after the 1st rounds.

• Like 1

Just now, Curmudgeon said:

Are you sure? Have you looked at CapFriendly and searched for UFA right-shooting defencemen? I'll save you the trouble: Subban, Letang, Boychuk, Stralman, Klingberg, Manson, J Schultz, C Miller, Gudbranson and Braun. Only two of them, Klingberg and Miller are under 30. In my view, only Klingberg would be of interest, but I'd bet 31 other teams would like to sign him, too. So when you talk about numerous other UFAs, be careful what you wish for. That kind of thinking got us Loui Player Name.

Manson would be my preference.  However, Dermott is a left-handed shot, so I'd look at guys like Maatta, De Haan, Chiarot, Hagg, Edler.  I'd also add Sustr and Lyubushkin to the list of righties.