The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Tyler Motte to Rangers for 2023 4th-round pick

2 minutes ago, Bell said:

Woke up at 5 am and all we get is 4th rounder for Motte.  I am playing pick up hockey this aft, u probably shouldn;t upset me or we be fighting

No we also got Richardson off waivers! Who we now have to pay for....

We are a worse team, which is expected if you go I to deadline as a seller... But we somehow got worse without selling!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

What’s more concerning for me is that after all these years we don’t have an in house solution, somewhere in the system, for a guy that can penalty kill, play with energy, and provide little offence that will be on a cheap contract. Isn’t this what your farm system is for? 

Anyone knows how much Motte was asking?? $2M+ per for 5 years??? 

Oh well...  a 4th round pick is better than nothing I suppose... 

But overall it really sucks!! We haven't officially given up on playoffs but didn't acquire help...  And I'm guessing we didn't get any great offers for Boeser and Miller! 

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

So, a Rangers 4th in 2023 will be basically a 5th.  They just gave Motte away IMO.  If it was about cap, then why not trade Pearson or Myers instead?

Pearson and Myers have NTC.

I thought Motte would bring more than that.... I am genuinely surprised at the lack of movement today....I'm not saying make moves for the sake of making moves but from what I was hearing from this management team I was expecting some more changes. I'm sure there is still hope of a playoff appearance although it's looking more grim as the days go on, it will be an interesting off season I'm sure. 

2 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Why are so many mad at new management?

- Market value for a fourth line forward

- They tried for an extension before trading him, but Motte's camp wanted too much

- You don't pay fourth liners over 2 mill

- We got capital we can use either for the draft or trades

I wish we got more, but it is what it is. These are the types of moves we need to make to be successful in the bigger picture, things our previous regime didn't do.

Exactly this. These are small decisions that add up to being able to make large changes later. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

So we traded one of our more effective players, and a key part of the best 4th line we've had in years (or ever?), while pushing for a playoff spot for basically nothing. 

4th liner, gone after season, the team netted a draft pick. Its proper asset management.

I can honestly say that I have no bloody idea what this management team's direction is going to be.  I don't understand any of the moves they have made and I don't know whether they think this team has a chance to make the playoffs or not.

Just now, DontMessMe said:

U do u man. I rather have the 4th vs absolutely nothing. 

I'd rather not send the message to other gm's that we're willing to accept scraps, and I'd rather not send the message to the dressing room that this is how little we value important parts of the team. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Let's not forget that Motte was the only player we had to make a decision on before the TDL.

Every other player has a longer contract.

Either overpay for a fourth liner or get capital for him.

Management did well.

If Motte signs somewhere else for 2 mil/year in the off-season this will be a terrible trade. 

If he gets 2.5 mil/year or more in the off-season then I agree with you. 

3 minutes ago, AV. said:

This is legitimately hilarious.  Bunch of boomers losing their $&!# over some guy that could be replaced in an instant.

It's not that we dumped Motte for a 4th... It's that this is culmination of months of "hard work" from our new management team. A lot of preaching and prepping for this!?

I'm crying of laughter lmfaoooo

This Canucks team is so capped out that they can't even afford to put fuel in the team bus, and you guys wanted Motte to stay for over 2M.

This fanbase never learns ahahhaha

1 minute ago, Jester13 said:

They've been our 3rd line, and that's the issue. We need cap space and picks. Today was underwhelming, but we did get a little more space and a pick in a good draft year. 

Yeah, I get it all. See the upside. It all just feels lackluster. Thought we could do just a little better.