The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Tyler Motte to Rangers for 2023 4th-round pick

Just now, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

Are we selling? or buying?

If we're selling then why did we waste that 3rd pick on Dermott after we had just acquired another 3rd? 

If we're buying then why sell one of our best PK guys for a 4th?

If cap issues were a problem why didn't you trade a guy with a bigger cap hit? There was interest from other teams on guys like garland and boeser. Are you still trying to make the playoffs?

lol. Management core today just seemed very indecisive and weak with their plans its frustrating. 

This is what I'm seeing too. Like are we gonna make a run this year, or just middle out of the playoffs? How does Boudreau respond to that? Are we better or worse or exactly the same? 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

I think he's being ironic. 

So what you're saying is you'd rather trade Motte for a pick that has a less than 10% chance of turning into another Motte.  Seems kinda idiotic to me.  But I guess half of this forum loves being basement dwellers who severely overvalue picks.

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

The issue isn’t trading Motte, it’s the return. 

I’d prefer a couple months to work out a reasonable extension over a 4th round pick. 

The "reasonable extension" wasn't going to come.

As for the return, Max Domi just returned a late 3rd from last year in the CAR-CBJ deal.  Ryan Carpenter got a 5th.  Mason Appleton a 4th.

Forward market dried up towards the end.  The Canucks did the responsible thing to get something for Motte.

• Upvote 2

Really have to appreciate Mottes work here.

At 1.25 m per,  that has been exceptional value for the ethic and tenacity he brought.

That line will not be he same without him..

he was a big part of this teams chemistry.

He deserves to see FAgency,.  And an opportunity like this with the Rangers in the final leg of this contract.

I’d Iike to see him back with us,.  But more so, I wish him the best going forward.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Rindiculous said:

So what you're saying is you'd rather trade Motte for a pick that has a less than 10% chance of turning into another Motte.  Seems kinda idiotic to me.  But I guess half of this forum loves being basement dwellers who severely overvalue picks.

I would have been fine to re-up Motte at something short term and reasonable, which clearly wasn't on the table. 

Stop running around the room for a second and think about the context. 

2 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

Are we selling? or buying?

If we're selling then why did we waste that 3rd pick on Dermott after we had just acquired another 3rd? 

If we're buying then why sell one of our best PK guys for a 4th?

If cap issues were a problem why didn't you trade a guy with a bigger cap hit? There was interest from other teams on guys like garland and boeser. Are you still trying to make the playoffs?

lol. Management core today just seemed very indecisive and weak with their plans its frustrating. 

Since the Sedins' last year, Aquilini has wanted to retool and not re-build - i.e., try to make the playoffs but not still build towards the future. So the only trades that are allowed are so-called "hockey trades". No big sales and no big buys.

14 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

At least J.B. loved the players that he drafted and acquired. He would have never dumped his beloved Motte for a freaking 4th round pick like he is worthless.  

Benning not doing exactly that is why we're in this mess to begin with.

• Vintage 1

I definitely agree I thought Motte would have at least been worth a 3rd round pick. 

But - it has been reported multiple times that the team has spoken with his agent about an extension over the past couple weeks at least. His agent was even on Donnie and Dhali and they talked about resigning Motte and what it would take. His agent felt Motte is much more of a 3rd line quality player then a 4th liner (like our media and fanbase describe him as), so that would fall more into the range of 2-3 million per year. 

I imagine they offered Motte some term and 1.5 - 2 million, but it may not have been enough for him. So what else can you do, take whatever you can get for the guy instead of him walking in the offseason. 

This could be all totally wrong if Motte suddenly resigns for like 1.2 million per year in which case that would be a shame (if he was also willing to sign that here, we can't discount the fact that he may take less to be on a real contender). 

And hey who knows, I would still say Van should submit another offer for him in the offseason. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, DS4quality said:

This is what I'm seeing too. Like are we gonna make a run this year, or just middle out of the playoffs? How does Boudreau respond to that? Are we better or worse or exactly the same? 

Exactly. 

I think the management should've grown some balls and had a set plan or should have been preparing for it.

This wish-washy stuff is pretty pathetic and not a good first impression to fans. 

• Cheers 2