The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Tyler Motte to Rangers for 2023 4th-round pick

Just now, Oregon.Duck said:

Looks folks, we can’t keep paying $3m+ for fringe 3rd liners/4th line players. No matter how good their hustle. 

Y’all complain about us signing players to albatross contracts and then complain when we don’t. Make up your damn minds. 

Swipe Up Black Man GIF by Black Prez

Just now, EP Phone Home said:

Free Agent Vanek= 3 1/2 years of Motte & a cup of coffee or JJ= 4th round pick.

What’s wrong with getting a free asset from what was originally a washed up Thomas Vanek that turned into a versatile 4th liner who helped us get through St. Louis (game 5 heroics) in the bubble. We weren’t going to give him 2.5+ a year to a 4th liner when we have done similar salary in the past to other 4th liners. I’m happy we stopped this cycle of overpaying bottom roster players. Heck we have Williem Lockwood in the minors, it’s not as bad as people think. 

I've come to the conclusion that the only players who are allowed to be traded for low picks are players the fanbase doesn't like or over rates.

• Cheers 1

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

You have zero clue the reasonable extension wasn’t available. Asinine to assume otherwise. 

I think its pretty safe to say that management talked to Motte about his expectations for his new contract before trading him. If he was willing to stick around for 1.5m/year, they would have kept him.

But why would Motte do that? He gets one shot to sign a big lucrative contract - Free agency is where he cashes in for all those years of blood sweat and tears, and knowing his injury history, it'll be the only big contract he ever gets.

His intention 100% was to test free agency, he doesn't have the luxury top-6 forwards have of already having tens of millions in the bank. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Rindiculous said:

So what you're saying is you'd rather trade Motte for a pick that has a less than 10% chance of turning into another Motte.  Seems kinda idiotic to me.  But I guess half of this forum loves being basement dwellers who severely overvalue picks.

I hear what you're saying but many teams "overvalue" picks - it may be more enticing for a team to take on a cap dump player of ours without strings or retention if we can offer a 4th as a sweetener - an off-season or draft day deal, perhaps. Could also be a sweetener in a key off season trade for a young D

2 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

I’m shocked we couldn’t give away Pearson and Halak for free.

Have you watched Halak play the last few games? He doesn’t exactly come cheap either.

Edited by Slegr

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Didn't JR say we need to get faster?  So we trade Motte.  Makes no sense.  

this TDL makes no sense, they got rid of motte who was the least of our concerns in regards to cap space, but kept everyone else ..which our cap issue is still in the doghouse, just makes no sense ...i understand if managment given up this season, but they coulda traded, even if we lost out on the trade, atleast it would help fix our cap issues, motte was fast and a good player, we now basically got brad whos 37 yrs old and was released by the flames for a reason, doubt hes fast like motte .....huge huge rip

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

You have zero clue the reasonable extension wasn’t available. Asinine to assume otherwise. 

Meh, it's easy enough to read in between the lines here.  If all it was going to take to get Motte to stay was under 2M, he'd probably still be here.

3 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Perhaps he was asking for 3-4 million and the team believes they can replace him from within? Perhaps with Lockwood, Di Giuseppe, or somebody acquired in free agency or post-season trade? Personally, I would have kept him and tried to re-sign him, but he would definitely be asking for more money than you might want to pay for a fourth line guy, so moving him was probably the right thing to do. He probably priced himself out of the market. 

Perhaps he did. Then in that case, you get what you can, sure. But he's much more valuable than a 4th. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

Lol. He’s a fourth liner, they don’t have a ton of value. 

He did to us. Way more value than a 4th rounder who probably won't even crack the NHL. Like others, I'd rather have kept him for our diminishing playoff push and risk losing him for nothing at year's end, because that's what we got. Nothing. Statistically speaking that 4th rounder won't even play for us. We have even less heart and soul on this team now. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, eeeeergh said:

I think its pretty safe to say that management talked to Motte about his expectations for his new contract before trading him. If he was willing to stick around for 1.5m/year, they would have kept him.

But why would Motte do that? He gets one shot to sign a big lucrative contract - Free agency is where he cashes in for all those years of blood sweat and tears, and knowing his injury history, it'll be the only big contract he ever gets.

His intention 100% was to test free agency, he doesn't have the luxury top-6 forwards have of already having tens of millions in the bank. 

To talk as if it was an absolute is foolish at best.

• Cheers 2

I think most of the people that are criticizing a 4th rounder forgot that Motte himself was a 4th round pick. I wish we got more, but we got something as minor as it may be for a player that was unlikely coming back. Keeping him for the rest of the season and letting him walk is literally what people have complained about Benning.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

thats why we got Richardson. 

And 20 games to where? we're out of the playoff hunt. 

Richardson is nowhere near Motte's level this season.  He got waived for a reason.

Also while it is bleak, if we get on a run, we can easily make the playoffs.  We were on our first actual slide with Boudreau on this homestand.  We could easily still turn it around there's still a quarter the season to go.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1