The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So You Wanna Build a Contender?

Rate this topic

D-Money

5 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

I think this all goes deeper............

Fans in Vancouver, and Ownership have not learned through recent history, that purging and falling to the bottom is an acceptable plan.

It really IMO, this goes back to the Sedin's last contracts and not wanting to trade the Sedin's. The Sedin's sign contracts that prevented

the Canucks from trading them, same thing goes for Edler. IMO, those contracts were signed with those NTC's to appease and lower the Sedin's

contract asks. After 2011, the writing was on the wall and IMO, Aqualini, hired yes men to appease his ego. IMO, I still think Benning was a good hire

but his task was a retool, and that was given to him by Aqualini. So, when you put it all together...........all this is on Aqualini. He set the table.

Here we are in 2022 talking a rebuild, because too many short cuts were taken. Our farm is empty and we are capped out.................

So lets play the what if game. So "IF" game...........So the plan becomes.........trade the Sedins, trade Edler, trade Markstrom, Trade Tanev, have a down

turn and drop to the bottom (Rock bottom), take you own picks and add the picks and assets which would have been acquired, and build a very sound

deep team and farm system.  

It is not only the abundance of picks acquired from the suggested trades, and our own bottom picks, but also our cap would have been in such a position

that we could have been in on the picks and assets that teams got through taking on bad contracts...............

Quite possibly, Benning would have still picked Demko, Pettersson and Hughes, because we most likely would have been in and around the same position.

So that is all history, and "what ifs" only work out perfectly on paper, but history has shown, that with good management, the scorched earth plan does work

Now we have to take a realistic look at where we are now, and ask if we have the assets now, to take the next step and do we have the cap space and ELC's

to make adjustments. IMO, no we don't! Not even close..............so in reflection when should we have called Uncle? Well, I am not sure, that Benning really 

failed completely until this last trade, where we picked up OEL and Garland............where we moved our 1st and those almost expired Contracts................

To me, this has Aqualini's hand prints all over this, and I wonder, if Linden was still hear, if that trade would have happened.

I remember back to the good old 80's where we were not good enough for a good draft pick and not good enough to really make a playoff run, and

I think that is where we are today. History has a way of repeating it's self, doesn't it?

Agree on every point, just not on your spacing/formatting choice :blink:

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

I think this all goes deeper............

Fans in Vancouver, and Ownership have not learned through recent history, that purging and falling to the bottom is an acceptable plan.

It really IMO, this goes back to the Sedin's last contracts and not wanting to trade the Sedin's. The Sedin's sign contracts that prevented

the Canucks from trading them, same thing goes for Edler. IMO, those contracts were signed with those NTC's to appease and lower the Sedin's

contract asks. After 2011, the writing was on the wall and IMO, Aqualini, hired yes men to appease his ego. IMO, I still think Benning was a good hire

but his task was a retool, and that was given to him by Aqualini. So, when you put it all together...........all this is on Aqualini. He set the table.

Here we are in 2022 talking a rebuild, because too many short cuts were taken. Our farm is empty and we are capped out.................

So lets play the what if game. So "IF" game...........So the plan becomes.........trade the Sedins, trade Edler, trade Markstrom, Trade Tanev, have a down

turn and drop to the bottom (Rock bottom), take you own picks and add the picks and assets which would have been acquired, and build a very sound

deep team and farm system.  

It is not only the abundance of picks acquired from the suggested trades, and our own bottom picks, but also our cap would have been in such a position

that we could have been in on the picks and assets that teams got through taking on bad contracts...............

Quite possibly, Benning would have still picked Demko, Pettersson and Hughes, because we most likely would have been in and around the same position.

So that is all history, and "what ifs" only work out perfectly on paper, but history has shown, that with good management, the scorched earth plan does work

Now we have to take a realistic look at where we are now, and ask if we have the assets now, to take the next step and do we have the cap space and ELC's

to make adjustments. IMO, no we don't! Not even close..............so in reflection when should we have called Uncle? Well, I am not sure, that Benning really 

failed completely until this last trade, where we picked up OEL and Garland............where we moved our 1st and those almost expired Contracts................

To me, this has Aqualini's hand prints all over this, and I wonder, if Linden was still hear, if that trade would have happened.

I remember back to the good old 80's where we were not good enough for a good draft pick and not good enough to really make a playoff run, and

I think that is where we are today. History has a way of repeating it's self, doesn't it?

Great post.   It's also why when JB came here i peppered the CDC with the facts and continue to do so, that it was going to either be a total lucky fluke, or a long long time before we'd be an actual contender again.   Each time we made it to the final (history repeating itself) - it's taken that much longer.   And the league kept growing.   For 14 years Van/Det/SJ won more regular season games then anyone else.   Detroit and Van started around the same time.   Anyone notice that Holland couldn't do it one more time ?  And he actually routinely sold his first round picks, Gillis did it once.   For 8 years our drafting was bottom bottom bottom of the league.    There were no tweeners that could move  the needle.   None.   Why Bear and Vey came in.   I don't think JB did as bad a job as some keep saying .... or that he did a great/good job either - just maybe average given the crappy situation our club was in.   Like an expansion team under the old rules without the juicy first or second overall to set you up.     To me it was always most likely going to be parts of JB core and the following one BEST case that we'd contend again.   It's certainly looking that way now isn't it? 

Edit:  The bubble was exciting - as was the Bruce Bump.    Might as well just enjoy the small victories on the way.   Miller and QHs?  Can they beat some guys this year?  Small victories.   But it's been "8 long years - or even better " a decade"...one way to look at it that is healthy - is Post Sedin 3. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, Muttley said:

He's on his third team and he seems to like it here.  That, in my mind, will count for something.  His Family is well established here now. He can sign for something

less then what his agent suggests if he wants. I'm pretty sure I've noticed some hints about moving forward with this team in some impromptu interviews.

Your numbers are not that bad at all for what he brings. FWIW, I suspect he'll do a half mil. less. Your timeline is bang on. 

I think Allvin's comments the other day was telling as well. That you could get paid a lot, but then the rest of the team won't be any good. Maybe hinting at some of the players who might be entering into free agency soon with needing new contracts (Bo and Miller particularly). How badly do they want to win here as Canucks? 

If they don't care, then I'm sure Allvin and JR can make a trade work - those two guys would get quite a lot in return and set us up for many more years to come. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Yeah, I don't buy the mythology of "Canucks fans won't accept a rebuild". 

I full rebuild takes a few years, in which the team runs the risk of losing players that want

to play on a winning team.  There is a chance that Miller and Boeser will be traded in this

offseason.  Pete and Bo may not re-sign.

It will be difficult to unload players that have underperformed; of which there are several.

Vancouver will likely land up on the NHL players 'no go to' list.

There are a lot of fans that have watched this team struggle (aside for a few winning seasons)

for decades.  I can see them finally bailing on the team if it means yet another rebuild.

49 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Well, I am not sure, that Benning really 

I disagree completely.

Benning knew he was on the rope and needed desperately to win asap.

That situation was what he couldn’t handle.

And you can’t choose only the last first traded. You have to include Miller in that mess also because it all was too much good plyers for Benning to handle.

If Miller weren’t so damn good Benning could have stayed with the plan he had before… Wait til the stars is around 25 and then go all in. 

• Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

I disagree completely.

Benning knew he was on the rope and needed desperately to win asap.

That situation was what he couldn’t handle.

And you can’t choose only the last first traded. You have to include Miller in that mess also because it all was too much good plyers for Benning to handle.

If Miller weren’t so damn good Benning could have stayed with the plan he had before… Wait til the stars is around 25 and then go all in. 

I agree that worrying about his job security was probably on his mind. It's normal about job security, but at the same time, he didn't do what was good for this organization moving forward, and he's left JR and PA a lot of pieces to pick up unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

I full rebuild takes a few years, in which the team runs the risk of losing players that want

to play on a winning team.  There is a chance that Miller and Boeser will be traded in this

offseason.  Pete and Bo may not re-sign.

It will be difficult to unload players that have underperformed; of which there are several.

Vancouver will likely land up on the NHL players 'no go to' list.

There are a lot of fans that have watched this team struggle (aside for a few winning seasons)

for decades.  I can see them finally bailing on the team if it means yet another rebuild.

I think that's why JR has said that it won't take a full rebuild. There are core pieces here to build around, and that now is PA's responsibility to do that with his staff. 

Petey I think will resign here, Bo as well. Miller and Brock are the big question marks for me. Brock with how much money, and Miller with money, term, and age. The team cannot afford to sign bad contracts moving forward, or they will continue to cripple themselves. I can't imagine being a GM - this team right now is the very definition of mediocrity. 

• Sad 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

I think that's why JR has said that it won't take a full rebuild. There are core pieces here to build around, and that now is PA's responsibility to do that with his staff. 

Petey I think will resign here, Bo as well. Miller and Brock are the big question marks for me. Brock with how much money, and Miller with money, term, and age. The team cannot afford to sign bad contracts moving forward, or they will continue to cripple themselves. I can't imagine being a GM - this team right now is the very definition of mediocrity. 

It's a tough spot to be in.   A total tear down isn't at all out of the question.   Get that in this era of parity, playoff reps matter.    Which is the attraction and carrot of the mushy middle.   When you see teams like TB lose in the first round to CLB - and hate to admit it, but also TO ... well a team like St. Louis doesn't look so bad.   LA did it twice too, and they were just slightly above average in the regular season.    And actually missed the playoffs entirely inbetween lol.    Maybe Doughty was a super-star but that was about it - but their real super-star was actually Quick.    Freaking unreal.   Quick and Thomas have had the best post seasons since Roy won the cup with a very bland average MTL team in 93.   

17 hours ago, billabong said:

I think Alvin has ever intention on blowing this up and rightfully so 

NO ONE should be clutching the pearls over boeser, Miller, horvat etc.. 

this HASN'T worked and you can’t have change without REAL change 

We should all embrace what’s coming 

Desus And Mero Change GIF by Global Citizen

yap, rebuilt is the only way out, no shortcuts

I miss that NHL game where I traded my 1st round picks for a bunch of top young players + traded both Sedins for Stamkos.

Canucks won a Cup under my reign in GM mode. And once the Sedins trade value went down I traded back the Sedins for a few picks and they won their cups as a Canuck in their final year before they retired.

I still don't remember how I got all of that in the cap though. Either I requested to salary retention or something. 

Anyways ... point is I was able to build a contender :lol:

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

On 4/4/2022 at 7:40 AM, JM_ said:

the way I look at it is, we aren't going to get a Hedman, Matthews or McDavid out of any trade for Miller or Boeser. We may get good pieces but we are not getting that, barring some miracle miss by 20+ scouts.

So if we aren't rebuilding around our core guys, then we need to go full tank. Get as many picks as possible sure, but if we're not going full tank we won't have any top 5 talent anyway. 

I see it as pretty binary. We can construct a team imo thats quite similar to LA's cup teams with the core we have now, OR go full tank.

I don't see a point in just moving Miller and expecting a miracle run with Chytil and Schneider. 

I mean, it's not just Miller, he's just the most integral part to all this because he will get the most for us. If we do get Chytil and Schneider that makes us younger and makes our back end better. Not to mention money saved on the cap. The next step would be to find out who you can get more for - Boeser or Garland - and make a hockey deal there. Fill another need (probably defence, again, or a 3C - Severson was someone that was rumoured a ways back). Salary here would likely be matched. Then the task has to be to move Myers. Chances are you won't be able to she the full 6 mill, but being able to shed say half of it and take on a player the other team might not want would be a help. That frees up a spot on your back end and gives you cap space to make another trade, or sign a FA. Plus who knows - the player we get back might be a good impact one. JR and Allvin are known to find struggling players that need a change of scenery.

I'm pretty sure that is what Allvin is going to try to do, it seems like the clear agenda when we gather all the rumours together. Next year will be a down year, make no mistake about it. It's going to be a year of trading and re-tooling. After next year we have some money coming off the books, and we'll have some contracts that'll be easier to move. The sad part is OEL will be ANOTHER year older and we risk him falling off a cliff. Although I think he has loads left in the tank and playing with Myers is holding him back immensely. It's clear our team cannot play structured hockey and that is the personnel we need to target. Get these guys on track and hold them accountable. 

After a few of those deals I could see our defence start to come together. The task then would be to increase team speed and tenacity. The #2 issue on this team IMO behind the defence. I have a feeling JR will try to sign Evan Rodrigues this offseason (Right handed centreman he is familiar with - ideal for our 3rd line, might not be too expensive). 

I believe in this teams top end talent. Petey is still so young. He's going to blossom into one of the best 2 way forces in the league, health permitting. I'm not the biggest Bo fan but he is a competent 2C for this team, and Hughes is a franchise d-man. He'd look even better if he had a legit top 4 partner that suits his play style. 

This team does have tradeable assets that can help re-tool this roster, and we wouldn't have to give up draft capital for that to happen. Of course we have no idea how other teams view our players and what is going to happen, but I'm hopeful because of JR's track record. 

Hughes Schneider

OEL Severson

Rathbone Dermott

Schenn

Burroughs

Poolman

That's a defence that can move the puck and skate. That'll help unlock your forwards potential as well. Year 1 task will be to re-tool the defence, year 2 will be to surround our offensive talent. It's also reasonable to expect Podkolzin/Hoglander to develop into fine players in that time on good deals. Rebuilding doesn't make sense to me when you have good young players on this roster. 1 year of tanking sure, build up your prospect pool again, but other than that I don't see it. Especially when you have Demko. That guy literally won't let you tank.

6 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Yeah, I don't buy the mythology of "Canucks fans won't accept a rebuild". 

Do fans actually have a choice? Unless a fan has the money to buy the team we don't have any choice other than accepting their plan. Liking and accepting are two different things. Many, like me, don't like the idea of setting the team up to lose from day 1. Why would I spend my hard earned money on a team set up to lose? 

A five year waiting list disappeared here after missing the playoffs. VanFans are a fickle lot. We're not like the Oilers and Leafs where fans are afraid to give up their season tickets because they may never get them back. Both went through a decade of futility and maintained season ticket sales. The acceptance here is many fans won't go to games if there's an intentional tank. They're hard pressed when the team is questionable for the playoffs.

On 4/4/2022 at 11:50 PM, D-Money said:

So the question is, how do they stack up against the best teams in the league right now? Let's compare them to:

Colorado - MacKinnon, Makar, Landeskog, Rantanen, Kadri

Florida - Barkov, Ekblad, Huberdeau, Reinhart, Weegar

Tampa - Hedman, Vasilevskiy, Kucherov, Point, Stamkos

How does the Canucks' core really stack up? You might be able to argue that the 4th or 5th player compares favorably to Florida. But if a person is honest, they'll agree that overall, the Canucks are nowhere near the level of those teams when it comes to the core. And yet, I think the Canucks' core is actually better than most teams in the league - it's just not one of the best.

Then you get to supporting players. Those teams have other players who some might argue should be in that list, or who might at least threaten to bump a guy soon, much like the peak era of Canucks. In fact, if you have a really solid and deep group of supporting players, that can even take a core that is on paper not as good as the teams above and still get them in the discussion as a potential contender (such as Carolina). But the truly top teams usually have not only an elite core, but also a fantastic group of supporting talent.

How do the Canucks rate with supporting players? Guys like Boeser, OEL, Garland, Myers, and Pearson. How does that compare with the peak era Canucks, with Edler, Bieksa,  Burrows, Samuelsson, and Ehrhoff? Not well at all, IMO. How about comparing them with the top teams above?

Colorado - Toews, Kuemper, Girard, Compher, Nichuskin...

Florida - Bobrovsky, Duclair, Bennett, Lundell, Forsling…

Tampa - McDonaugh, Cirelli, Sergachev, Palat, Cernak...

Once again, the Canucks don't really stack up, especially on defense. In fact, as much as I agreed that Canucks had an above average core, I'd argue that their support players are well below average. 

I really like these assessments, find completely valid.

The key difference though is age and experience.  Hughes and Pettersson are 22 & 23.  TWENTY THREE?   While it may not be fair to project them into the level of NHML MVP when they are 26. The level the Twins played at in 2011. It is very possible, especially with Hughes. Its also just as possible to project Hoglander and Podkolzin, possibly Rathbone in to the calibre of top support players. My point is give the team two years. Hughes and Petey could easily both be in the top 20 of league players.

And the unfortunate truth, with Miller being 29?  There is the strong possibility he could be parlayed in 2 to 3 players who evolve in to that top 10. Where his cap hit, and our lack depth in prospects probably mean we cannot reach and maintain any elite level should we not?

I also believe we will trade one of Boeser or Horvat. We moved some salary with Hamonic. Will do so with one of OEL or Myers. Add another core player + a depth piece, and $12 mill cap space. It gives us a chance in 2 years forward...

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, luongianone said:

I mean, it's not just Miller, he's just the most integral part to all this because he will get the most for us. If we do get Chytil and Schneider that makes us younger and makes our back end better. Not to mention money saved on the cap. The next step would be to find out who you can get more for - Boeser or Garland - and make a hockey deal there. Fill another need (probably defence, again, or a 3C - Severson was someone that was rumoured a ways back). Salary here would likely be matched. Then the task has to be to move Myers. Chances are you won't be able to she the full 6 mill, but being able to shed say half of it and take on a player the other team might not want would be a help. That frees up a spot on your back end and gives you cap space to make another trade, or sign a FA. Plus who knows - the player we get back might be a good impact one. JR and Allvin are known to find struggling players that need a change of scenery.

I'm pretty sure that is what Allvin is going to try to do, it seems like the clear agenda when we gather all the rumours together. Next year will be a down year, make no mistake about it. It's going to be a year of trading and re-tooling. After next year we have some money coming off the books, and we'll have some contracts that'll be easier to move. The sad part is OEL will be ANOTHER year older and we risk him falling off a cliff. Although I think he has loads left in the tank and playing with Myers is holding him back immensely. It's clear our team cannot play structured hockey and that is the personnel we need to target. Get these guys on track and hold them accountable. 

After a few of those deals I could see our defence start to come together. The task then would be to increase team speed and tenacity. The #2 issue on this team IMO behind the defence. I have a feeling JR will try to sign Evan Rodrigues this offseason (Right handed centreman he is familiar with - ideal for our 3rd line, might not be too expensive). 

I believe in this teams top end talent. Petey is still so young. He's going to blossom into one of the best 2 way forces in the league, health permitting. I'm not the biggest Bo fan but he is a competent 2C for this team, and Hughes is a franchise d-man. He'd look even better if he had a legit top 4 partner that suits his play style. 

This team does have tradeable assets that can help re-tool this roster, and we wouldn't have to give up draft capital for that to happen. Of course we have no idea how other teams view our players and what is going to happen, but I'm hopeful because of JR's track record. 

Hughes Schneider

OEL Severson

Rathbone Dermott

Schenn

Burroughs

Poolman

That's a defence that can move the puck and skate. That'll help unlock your forwards potential as well. Year 1 task will be to re-tool the defence, year 2 will be to surround our offensive talent. It's also reasonable to expect Podkolzin/Hoglander to develop into fine players in that time on good deals. Rebuilding doesn't make sense to me when you have good young players on this roster. 1 year of tanking sure, build up your prospect pool again, but other than that I don't see it. Especially when you have Demko. That guy literally won't let you tank.

Love the idea of OEL-Severson, that would be amazing. I thought I read he wants to stay and extend with NJ though. But I'd be very happy to see Garland moved for him thats the kind of deal I'd love to see. 

My preference would be to clear cap by moving out Pearson, Dickie and Poolman, and looking for trades with Boeser and Garland before I'd move off Miller. 

• Cheers 1

Its also worth Mentioning JR, and you would have to include Alvin in the discussion.

Have had experience pulling off what Mike Gillis did?  Find all the right support pieces! 

An absolute key to me. Is nearly every Stanley Cup contender has been able to offer their coach position players. Think Malhotra for face off's. More recently Corey Perry for depth scoring, Patrick Maroon for size. Plus key athletes, who might not be ''top'' hockey players. Who were more agile, have inexhaustible endurance, power, sometimes size. And they go out and skate their faces off, leave opposing D lungs gasping, forwards & goalies with bruises and injuries from over work in a 7 game series. Then that compete level becomes infectious, part of the teams DNA.

Lets skip Hughes being a top 4 in league skater?  In the depth end Hoglander is 21, Podz 20.  Hoglander has a world class motor.  Podz is close to that level and is 6'3''. These guys are great athletes, I have more time for them than the OP. Lockwood is skinny, but might join them.  Where I am going is the real heart in our 2011 team was seen first in 2008.  With Burrrows and Kesler flying over the boards in attack mode challenging every puck battle, off to hunt on the forecheck, the neutral zone & after opposing D at the line...

In my opinion what we really need is just more pure bread athletes with such elite compete level.  We can fill out a top ten that starts with Hughes, Petey & Demko. 

Edited by Canuck Surfer
  • Vintage 1

I don't think a complete tear down is needed, but certainly the use of a sharp scalpel .....................

IMO..........this

---------------------------------------

Boeser , Dermott                     OUT: $7,350,000

for

Roy, 2022-1st                           IN:    $3,150,000

----------------------------------------

Garland                                     OUT: $4,950,000      

for

Ceulemans  and 2022-2nd        IN:    $0,000,000

-----------------------------------------

Myers 33% retained                   OUT: $4,000,000

for

Buffalo's 2022-2nd

------------------------------------------

Sign Domi                                  IN:    $6,000,000

Sign DeAngelo                           IN:    $5,500,000

Sign Lyubushkin                          IN:   $2,500,000

Sign Rodregez                             IN:   $2,500,000

Sign Jake Livingstone NCAA UFA

-------------------------------------------

2022 - 2023 Team

Miler                  Pettersson              Podkolzin                   

Domi                    Horvat                  Hoglander                  

Pearson              Dickenson             Rodrigez                      

Highmore            Lammikko             Lockwood                    

Hughes               Roy                                         

OEL                    DeAngelo                                

Rathbone            Lyubushkin                               

Schenn                                                     

Demko                                                     

Martin                                                                                                         

----------------------------------------------

The point is not to build a Stanley Cup team, right off the get go, it is to fill in holes and Draft, and change the general make up of the team.

Our Cap is $73,000,000

Buyouts       $4,500,000

Bonus's        $1,000,000

Total Cap   $78,500,000                    NHL Cap     $82,500,000

2023-2024 Cap at $83,500,000 which leaves $4,000,000 Cap space and $2,500,000 in Buyout Space....which is more than enough to sign Miller and Horvat

Our 2022 Draft Picks are the following

Canucks 2022-1st (14th OA)

LA's 2022-1st (20th OA)

Buffalo's 2022-2nd (40th OA)

CBS BJ 2022-2nd (44 OA)

Canucks 2022-3rd (78 OA)

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

I don't think a complete tear down is needed, but certainly the use of a sharp scalpel .....................

IMO..........this

for

for

for

Buffalo's 2022-2nd

2022 - 2023 Team

Hughes               Roy                                         

Schenn                                                     

Demko                                                     

Martin                                                                                                         

The point is not to build a Stanley Cup team, right off the get go, it is to fill in holes and Draft, and change the general make up of the team.

Our Cap is $73,000,000

Buyouts       $4,500,000

2023-2024 Cap at $83,500,000 which leaves $4,000,000 Cap space and $2,500,000 in Buyout Space....which is more than enough to sign Miller and Horvat

LA's 2022-1st (20th OA)

CBS BJ 2022-2nd (44 OA)

Canucks 2022-3rd (78 OA)

Love this except for the Dummy signing.  

7 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

IMO..........this

for

for

for

Buffalo's 2022-2nd

2022 - 2023 Team

Hughes               Roy                                         

Schenn                                                     

Demko                                                     

Martin                                                                                                         

Our Cap is $73,000,000

Buyouts       $4,500,000

LA's 2022-1st (20th OA)

CBS BJ 2022-2nd (44 OA)

Canucks 2022-3rd (78 OA)

leave DeLoser out and you have me interested. 

34 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

IMO..........this

for

for

for

Buffalo's 2022-2nd

2022 - 2023 Team

Hughes               Roy                                         

Schenn                                                     

Demko                                                     

Martin                                                                                                         

Our Cap is $73,000,000

Buyouts       $4,500,000

LA's 2022-1st (20th OA)

CBS BJ 2022-2nd (44 OA)

Canucks 2022-3rd (78 OA)

Yuk on Domi at $6M.  Posters are already complaining of Boeser.  No way is Domi worth $6M if the posters are claiming Boeser is worth less than $6M.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

Yes i think we would.   Right now i think a re-set of the rebuild is absolutely ok given where we are at.    But it's not the only path either.  

The reality I struggle with is there's no second wave to propel us to contender status. The nucks might make the playoffs even put up a struggle in the first/second rounds but the reality is....... They aren't really good enough to reach that next level without a push from the farm. Any success we have won't be sustainable. 

I'm down for the deep dive. I'll still watch I think once you trade Miller it really forces you to tear it down Bo deserves to play on a contender I would love him to stay but I would understand 100% if he wanted to play the market as a UFA. Brocks gotta go for whatever I wont be mad if a 3rd is the best offer what we can't do is re sign him. 

Garland we keep as a culture carrier. We need the kids to have a guy like him around who gives 110%. OEL too he's very smart and plays the game the right way. He's a great #2/3 guy with intangibles.

I think we gun for as many 2023 picks as we can get and try to go all in for Bedard/Michkov. 

I also think Pete is at his best when he's "the guy" I think it's time to throw him in the deep end and see if he swims. Give him the chance to earn that big boy contract.  Paying for potential is over rated. I think he swims and earns the payday. 

Follow the avs/det blue print. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1